I make you a bet within 5 years

Interesting…thanks GernB. The CIS would certainly look a lot different today if they had gone this route. However, some of those teams would find it pretty dificult to compete in the “Super-Leage” today. I saw Acadia lost 60-7 yesterday! I’m watching Montreal and Laval right now (on TSN2 …congrats again TSN!), and they’re clearly in a different league.

Time the High School systems in those provinces change to Canadian rules, the MPPs in those provinces should put that on their tickets to draw CFL voters.

Despite sandusky's opinion's. I do have to ask... Why do Canadian High Schools play 4 down football? Does that just seem wrong to everyone? or just me? Canada invents the game yet the kids play the American version. What gives?

my guess is that the 4 down version is just easier for the high school players to play, no excuse though.

Not all Kids play 4 down. If I am not mistaken It is just BC that does this. I know Saskatchewan plays 3 down.

Its only the High Schools that play American. Community plays 3 down Canadian.

In BC, high schools started playing 4 down football because their simply weren’t enough teams up here so teams would schedule games against teams south of the border (something that still happens today). Also, BC also had the only university in Canada playing in an American Conference so the need was there to stock the team with players already familiar with American rules. It is also believed that with 4 downs, it is easier for kids to develop.

has the situation changed to the point when they can switch to Canadian football?

4 downs is an easier game no question so if it gives kids more of a chance I have no problem with it and if it means closer competion for games as well, no problem. The mainstay of Canadian universities will remain in the CIS and continue to play 3 down football I think and 3 or 4 downs, the skill sets are basically the same anyways.

It has by way of the number of schools that have football programs however they still choose to play 4 down football because high school coaches feel that it is easier to learn the game with an extra down. Also they still do play the occasional exhibition game vs. U.S. opponents. On the flip side, community ball at all levels play 3 down football so go figure

I’ll still write a letter to the school board or the MPPs in BC, and request that they change to Canadian football. I strongly suggest that all fans of Canadian football do the same.

with both sides having strong arguments, it should make for a great “game” off the field. :lol:

has there been any attempts in the past or recently to have it changed?

The school board has nothing to with it. You would have to write a letter to Football BC who governs high school football in British Columbia and since they are the ones who came up with the idea, I don’t see them changing their mind. And as of now there has never been a movement to go back to 3 downs. Nobody seems to have a problem with the way things are now.

except on football forums like this one, a pity. Still, worth a shot. I'll create a petition for it, and pass it around some football forums, see if that gets any interest.

Well then I wish you good luck. :thup: