I LIKE IVOR WYNNE!!!!

What I meant by external appearances is that I haven’t been hired by anyone to do an exhaustive architectural study, nor am I privy to a set of structural drawings… If my firm were to be hired to do a feasibility study on a possible IWS remodel or restoration, obviously comprehensive reports by structural and metalurgical engineers would have to be done, not to mention reports by mechanical engineers on the state of the plumbing and electrical. All this info would be wrighed by a competent conservation architect who would put all this into a logically formatted report and make recommendations.

All this being said, you make several good points,. I don’t know the Hamilton area well enough to comment on the desirability of IWS’s location, but personally, Ive always found it OK.

As someone who has worked in the restoration of Historic bldgs, I shudder at the thought of losing IWS… but I guess that if a new stadium would be beneficial to the Community then maybe a thats whats gotta happen…I wouldnt be happy tho…

how about a replica I W the second? modern amenaties included

Good Idea but how much???

No matter what happens regarding the Pan Am Games and the Tiger Cats
I would like to see the city spend money to keep the stadium operating

as it is a valuable low cost site for high school and minor football
and it hosts the championship of cities in Halton and Niagara, too

and likely many other important uses that I am not aware of.

Regarding it’s use for Ticat games:

Friends I have from out of town don’t have a problem with
the neighbourhood in which the stadium is located,

they just can’t understand the concept
of parking on nearby streets and lawns.

If parking was arranged at malls and churches
in the IWS neighbourhood for these people

and strong marketing was used to
make these people aware of them

that would solve that problem.

If a new stadium isn’t in the cards, and if what als4ever says is true
about being able to get many more years of use out of the stadium

Bob Young may chip in for some of the 30 or $40 million costs
or contribute additional money above those minimum costs

to make sure new seats and other improvements are done.

There will not be appreciation of value real estate in the current location of IWS,

less likely than in other more desirable locations

where it might make sense to pour money into an older facility.

True, If a stadium was built in the area near our city centre
it already has bars, restaurant, places to shop and hotels

and it would likely spur further development of such amenities

and that is absolutely what our politicians would like to happen.

Ron, I hope that’s a given that if things don’t pan out (hee hee) via the Pan Am Games, that the city still operate the stadium and keep it going best as they can on the cheap. Whether that will be enough to keep Bob around as owner without ever getting a GC here again, to host the game that is, remains to be seen under such a scenario though. But maybe that isn’t all that important to him, I don’t know.

i as well like ivow wynne and would rather see it renovated then replaced. Hamilton has enough empty rotting buildings as it is. and for sure there is no way they would nbe putting that new stadium where anyone could get to it. im pretty sure it would go on the mountain. shudder.

You can’t have a new IWS with a Track
It kills the sight lines and closeness to the Action

8) But Tom, when the City of Hamilton screws this all up again, we could get that beautiful new stadium built in beautiful Burlington !!!!
  I know you would like that possibility just as much as I would  !!!!!!     <!-- s:D -->:D<!-- s:D -->

They may only way I take a new Stadium..

In the end, Burlington might honestly be the best location for a new stadium for a number of reasons including transportation easy GO access that is and more central location. Lots of pluses for Burlington that's for sure.

burlington? thats insane. the tram is the hamiton tigercats.
whats next a put the stadium in ancaster thread?

After following all the posts on this site and checking out the media regarding the building of a stadium for the Hamilton Tiger cats, I am getting very skeptical that we are going to get a new stadium at all.

At this point, I would say that one of two things may happen:

1. Ivor Wynne Stadium refurbishment. (which I strongly believe would be a huge mistake, but this would be an easy out for City Council.

OR

1. A stadium in the heart of the city. (which I consider the 2nd worst thing that can happen)

I hear the Coliseum in Rome is open for business. Maybe we should make application to the Italians to see if they can provide a decent home for our Ti-Cats.

whats wrong with a stadium downtown. downtown needs stuff like this.

I am with you. The downtowns of many medium-to-large cities have been struggling for decades due to urban sprawl. The downtown needs to be able to draw people to the city core who will spend money and attract new businesses as well, and a stadium would help do that. I think the Tiger-Cats and Bob Young recognize this and want to do their part to help, hence the reason they bought an office building on Jarvis Street.

I am sure if the Tiger-Cats were going to throw their support and Bob Young’s money at a stadium project, it would be located downtown as to help facilitate a quicker renewal process.

As for Ivor Wynne, I love it just as much as anyone, but pumping millions of dollars of public money in to a crumbling stadium in a less than ideal location, doesn’t make a terribly large amount of sense to me. Think of the increased revenue streams and the reputation for the club and city if a new stadium was built. Next thing you know, they’ll be an NHL team downtown too! :wink:

Build Up, not out!

• paul

IWS is a great old place steeped in tradition. I've always loved it. But it seems to me that frankly, the emphasis here is on "old". Through neglect or whatever reasons, it is in poor condition and nowhere near up to standard for a 21st century stadium. Fenway Park it ain't, and even the storied Yankee Stadium had to be replaced. For all its ambience, history, intimacy, great sightlines, etc., I think it would be a mistake to invest much money in fixing up IWS. Better to start over and create the foundation for the next several generations of tradition.

Where should it go? I have no idea. I think the notion that it will spur renewal downtown is overstated. It's a football stadium... it will be used for 10 or so dates a year, and a few other special events. That's not enough to cause me to hurry to open a restaurant or retail business nearby! I think it should go wherever the land cost is low, access is reasonable (as opposed to perfect), and where public authorities are willing to put it.

If the Pan Am Games come, it should go wherever those folks wish. And unfortunately, if the Games don't come, I think there will not be a new stadium at all, and we're back to Plan C.... do whatever minimal maintenance is required to keep IWS from falling down and hope for better days and more money ahead.

From today's Spec, an extension granted which is good:

[i]Hamilton has two more weeks to make a decision on a $150-million Pan Am Games stadium.

"It gives us some breathing room," said Mayor Fred Eisenberger. "And that allows us to incorporate the site studies and financial numbers at the same time and make an informed decision."

David Adames, executive director of Tourism Hamilton, said: "It's great news because it allows us to provide more detail on the (three) sites for the stadium and also engage the community about what it means."

The Toronto 2015 bid company agreed to extend a deadline on a decision beyond Feb.9.

Adames said the extra two weeks will allow city staff to more fully flesh out how a stadium could be a 365-day-a-year facility, not just a home for the Tiger-Cats and occasional track and field meet.

The stadium to host athletics at the 2015 Games calls for an approximate $100-million facility with 15,000 seats, but Hamilton wants a 24,000 to 27,000- seat facility.

That will cost about $50 million more than originally forecast, as the Pan Am bid company would pick up 56 per cent of that $100-million figure.

Adames, who has served as the city's liaison officer with Toronto 2015, said the Feb. 23 deadline is in line with submissions from other municipalities.

The facilities report will also include information on upgrades to Copps Coliseum to host volleyball, a popular Pan Am sport.

Adames said the city hasn't abandoned hope of a velodrome, and is considering options with a bubble roof.

The velodrome and pool Hamilton sought were sidetracked when the bid budget was slashed $300 million last week.

Eisenberger remains confident council will commit to the new stadium.

"It is the same council, except me, as the 2005 council, which approved $80 million for the Commonwealth Games."

Toronto 2015, which spans cities from Oshawa to St. Catharines, is bidding against Bogota, Colombia and Lima, Peru for the Games.[/i]

[url=http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/504369]www.thespec.com/Sports/article/504369[/url]

I love Ivor Wynne. My first game at Ivor Wynne was in the early 70's. Now I have seats right behind the visitor dugout.
I have never been in a stadium that has such a great view and feel, no matter where you sit.
Ivor Wynne is definitely tired and in need of repair. Concessions and bathroom facilities are horrible.
But, it is a great place to watch a game.
I'll be sorry to see it go.

I'll tell you one thing, the bathrooms are much better than many restaurants I've been in over the years in terms of cleanliness. Some are a bit small I guess but then we aren't exactly packing the place lately so it doesn't matter that much. (No, this isn't a startup to say why we haven't been packing the place. :wink: )

I love Ivor Wynne as well. I would really miss that place. It’s truly a gem. From the nestled-neighbourhood location, to the ultra-close proximity to the field. Ohhh and banging the bejesus out of the endzone signage to ramp up the volume.

It sounds like everyone is dead-set on replacing it. I can live with that, I guess. Ideally, there would be some actual thought and architecture that goes into it. If this is going to be a tin-can like BMO Field, then forget it. There’s a reason why Ivor Wynne is still standing. If BMO lasts 20 years, I’ll be amazed.

I would also like a downtown stadium. Sure, it’s only a handful of nights a year, but it would aid infrastructure developments as our downtown heads toward revitalization (…which it is, there’s no doubt.)

In a perfect world, a retro-style Ivor Wynne is built downtown with revenue generating amenities, and Balsillie moves a team to Copps and fulfills his plan to upgrade the arena and surrounding Convention Centre. That, would likely spawn additional hotel projects and other commercial investment.

Obviously, I want to see the city of Hamilton flourish, the Cats be successful for my grand-kid’s grand-kids.

But, the experience I have at Ivor Wynne is a major reason why I’m so passionate about this team.

Why can't we just keep Ivor Wynne and replace the seating and concessions? Raise the video screen and put seating in the west end zone! (Those tents are a terrible waste of space and a horrible place to watch the game)

The field is in good shape itself...isn't it?

Why can't the south side be replaced first (or vice-versa)? Do it in stages and expand the seating! (perhaps even incorporate the retractible seating over a track, for the few times it will be used...to satisfy the needs of the Pan Am games)

What is with "Timmis Field?

Does it get much use? The only time I've sen it used is for the "customer appreciation BBQ"?

What is happening with Scott Park? Why is that building just sitting, while at the same time a new school is being built to the west of Ivor Wynne?

I'll qualify what I'm asking by adding that I don't live in Hamilton or pay city taxes...BUT I PAY MY FAIR SHARE OF PROV. AND FED. TAXES and certainly contribute to the Hamilton economy by attending Ticat functions.

I think that $100 million dollars would go a long way to refurbishing those two blocks of land with upgraded facilities. (And with the school itself gone would that not provide more parking?) Keep the trees and allow some tailgating too.

I think some talks should take place about these two blocks of land (Scott Park and Ivor Wynne/Timmis Field) because if a new stadium is built, then what happens to these properties?

The basic infrastucture (sewage and water etc) are already there! I drive to every game and with the exception of Rush Hour traffic for early Friday night or Thursday night games, I have no complaints about driving to Ivor Wynne!

I love the stadium and it's history...I think it would be a shame to not look at doing something with those two blocks of land!