I hope Dejardins REALLY THINKS about the next HC hire

I guess ken Peters was getting slack for his previous articles so they put the Hamilton Specaor Staff.

Anyways I hope this does not happen. He's being run out of sask for a reason.

[url=http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164063011477&call_pageid=1112274690688&col=1112274690756]http://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp ... 2274690756[/url]

I ALWAYS love the terms used by some people when describing coaching CANDIDATES they, personally, have an agenda against.

Things like "why would we want another team's CASTOFFS?" or "He's being RUN OUT of town for a reason!" ... and other similar NONSENSE.

Many (that's MANY) a good coach has been RELIEVED of his duties at one or MORE times in their Career !!!

Great coaches have a STYLE , an APPROACH, a PHILOSOPHY on how to run their teams ... sometimes, their message, THE SAME one that has worked for them all along, gets LOST on the players, SOMETIMES nature just runs it's course and it is TIME to MOVE ON ... sometimes $H%^! happens !!

Danny Barret OWES NOBODY here an apology for his sub .500 regular season record ... I ASK AGAIN ...How many of you would have COMPLAINED about 3(THREE!) road trips to the Eastern Championship game !!??

Then, in ONE of those 3 games ... Jamie Boreham pooched a 19 YARD FG, IN OVERTIME ! ... to prevent a trip to the Grey Cup ... how many of you Greg MULESHALL lovers would have called for his HEAD in that SCENARIO ...

Sooooo, PUH-Lease ... enough of the Danny is MEDIOCRE crap !! ... the guy is what he is - a man who has PROVED COMPETENT in the position of Head Coach of a football team ... FOR SEVEN YEARS !!

Peace.

P.S - Is it sooo hard to BELIEVE the guy could, heaven forbid, LEARN from his past SHORTCOMINGS ? Sheesh ... as I said - the organization could do a lot worse than this man.

I agree, Barret is a good coach and a good man.

Most coaches work for several teams over the years, this is true in all sports. Usually at least some of their moves are the result of being let go by their previous employer. If a team only ever hired coaches who had never been fired elsewhere, all temas would end up hiring only rookie coaches.

Barret should be considered as much as Taaffe or some of the others.

Why not Barrett?

I think he is a good coach and teacher and well respected by his players.

Brox

I agree ,Barrett is a good head coach .
I critisized him for their unprepairedness in the Western final,maybe unjustifyably ,as how do you prepare for overwhelming noise levels?Is it the head coach's responsibility to have the QB and the Center on the same page or the line coach ,I'd rather have a head coach come in with experience at head coaching if possible especially with our building type team.
ps ...my Dad likes him so that counts to me...

Hamilton could do worse I guess then Danny Barrett...but to me his teams have always seem to lack something especially in the playoffs. He is a very good person but I thought his next stop would a OC somewhere for a while until his stock would rise again.
Does this mean Charlie Taafe has committed to Montreal?

Re the title of this thread:

I was kinda hoping he was just going to hire the first person without any thought at all (for those that have lost their spidey senses..that was sarcasm).

I think we all hope he 'really thinks' about it, and I trust him to do so. And we could do a lot worse than Danny Barrett, although he isn't my first choice.

mycko75 wrote: " I think we all hope he 'really thinks' about it, and I trust him to do so. And we could do a lot worse than Danny Barrett, although he isn't my first choice."

mycko:

I'm sure Marcel Desjardins is not thinking about anything else right now!
I think the only reason he would hire Danny Barrett is because either Charlie Taffe or Greg Marshall (the other) are not available. I just don't see Danny Barrett as a first choice either. Charlie Taffe is a proven winner. Greg Marshall (the other) is highly respected, is ready to move up to a head coaching job and has lots of potential. Both these coaches seem to me to be more in the "winner" category than Danny's record has shown so far.

The new coach is supposed to be hired before December 15th so that still leaves the field wide open.

First of all, how can anyone think that Desjardins is not REALLY thinking about the next HC to hire?

Secondly, exactly what reason was Barret "run out of sask"?

We have no way of knowing. One thing is for sure. Desjardins has been around and knows infinately more about the inner workings of the CFL than we do. He's a proven evaluator of talent.

Have faith. Whether his decisions pan out or not is the $64,000 question, and an entirely different matter.

I love the title of this thread with the words 'really thinks.' Hmmm, do you think that as GM and with his primary responsibility that he wouldn't really think very hard about who the next head coach is? :wink:

Barrett does not strike me as a discipline-type coach.

Neither did Mike Riley and he didn't do too bad when he was here.

Charlie Taffe is not God , his name is on everybodys tounge because he has worked with Dejardins . While he may be a good coach he doesnt have the experiance that a Barrett has a player and coach , therefore he should be ranked no higher than Danny Barrett.

I wonder what everyone would say if Taffe does get the job and he brings an OC with him from the NCAA ?? Dont we want an OC with some CFL experiance ??

i dont care who, i just want him to win

Habman Taffe was his own OC in Montreal.
also Barrett Always got into the playoffs by Skin of his teeth
His players have been in More Trouble then any other CFL Team in past 20 Years. Look it up...
This Brings up His Character as a Coach.
Next you'll want Roy Shivers here..
Character is Becomming a big Issuie in the CFL
What Type Player would Barrett Bring in?

I just Feel Barret would be the worst Choise for Hamilton.
Also Ken Walch said some Time Early In December The Coach Will be Hired

The Front Runner is Taff..
Barret is Mix
Dave Ritchie
And The Other Greg Marshall

I ALWAYS love the terms used by some people when describing coaching CANDIDATES they, personally, have an agenda against.

Things like "why would we want another team's CASTOFFS?" or "He's being RUN OUT of town for a reason!" ... and other similar NONSENSE.

Barrett was 57-68-1 in seven seasons as head coach in Saskatchewan. The Roughriders had just one winning season under Barrett and they never hosted a playoff game.

Proved what?

Have you ever noticed that coaches that win the big games also LOOK like classy people? For example, Wally Buono - class all the way. He's the kind of man any woman would be happy to stand next to. Matthews, he had that "something" too. Tom Higgins has it. Barrett has NOT got it. That's what I notice. I think that's what keeps him from winning the big games. I'm sick of looking at his gum. I don't want him here.

Proved what?
He PROVED he could coach a Team into the playoffs 5 out of 7 years.

He PROVED he could coach a team into 3 Divisional Finals in 7 years.

I’ll keep beating this HORSE, too - IF McCallum doesn’t experience one of the BIGGEST CHOKES in his career … then Danny could have a Grey Cup appearance on his resume, too.

Barrett detractors can say what they want about his “MEDIOCRE” Record - but all it shows is they have ZERO APPRECIATION for how difficult it is to WIN at the PRO Level.

It also shows they have ZERO APPRECIATION for the DISASTER the Saskatchewan Organization was before Shivers and Barrett got there.

As I have ALWAYS maintained, although my ‘spidey senses’ do not tell me Barrett is the man coming to Hamilton - the Tiger Cats could do a lot WORSE than DB.

Peace.

Have you ever noticed that coaches that win the big games also LOOK like classy people?
I call BULL$PIT ... ever noticed how a certain New England Patriots HC dresses ? The guy has ONLY WON Three SuperBowls !!

All you Danny haters LOOK for reasons to denigrate the man's accomplishments ... and this is what you come up with ? Gimme a BREAK ...

Peace.

I would hire Barret in a heartbeat, subject to these terms:

1. He has a good set of Assistant coaches. It doesn't matter if he can get his offense to score 30 points, if the Defense gives up 37.

2. He gives Richie Williams a chance to prove his worth.

The Eagle - :thup: :thup: :thup: