How's Your Garden?

Is gardening entertainment? I think so.

My potatoes have always done great where I live, but this spring the soil was so wet the sprouts never came above the ground. Sucks because I love garden potatoes.

I have a huge harvest of tomatoes though, all kinds. Beefstake, Romas, cherry...I'm growing these new ones, chocolate cherry. They look like little watermelons!

We pickled a bunch of jalapenos for the 1st time, as we always have so many. They are so good! Can't belive we haven't done this before!

Still getting a ton of green beans, but the peas are dying out.

What's your fav crop?

3 Likes

My wife had luck with tomatoes and yellow squash. It’s our second year gardening and she improved quite a bit this year. Last night I made homemade spaghetti sauce with all the tomatoes.

We tried jalapeños for the first time. We might get two or three peppers, total.

My mother in law is a master and she’s helped us out quite a bit.

2 Likes

Ah, a "green" gardener! Let me give some advice from what I've learned.

Romas are the best for sauce. They have little juice, so its all flesh. Slice them in half (lengthwise) with onion, garlic, basil and peppers. Drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper.
This will bring out SO much flavour! You can blend it all after for a smooth sauce, or just put it like that over the pasta. my absolute fav.

For your jalpenos, are they in small containers? They need lots of sun, and will do better in ground/larger containers. My plants always have dozens, and I don't even fertilize!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips!
The jalapeños started in a container but we transferred them to soil when it got warmer. They get a lot of Sun but might be blocked a bit by the larger surrounding tomato plants. Next year we’ll try to space them farther apart.

1 Like

I have them at least a foot apart, and even then they are too close when fully leafed out.
Tomatoes spacing is critical so they don't get bottom rot.

2 Likes

Our cucumbers are doing well this year. Tomatoes are lagging, though.

Korean chili peppers are coming along, still another month or so till they start turning red.

We had loads of mustard greens (my favourite leafy addition to sandwiches, burgers, wraps) earlier in the summer.

And man we have more perilla (a mint-family leafy green used in Korean dishes) than we know what to do with. That stuff spreads on its own like crazy.

1 Like

OK, tell me about these Korean chili's. I grow all kinds of peppers, just love them. But I have to take it a bit easy on the real spicy ones for my stomach.

My cucs died early, so I planted the replacements late. they are just flowering now. Hope to still get some.

Most things 'low maintenance' are my favourite crop. My Zone 4 and 5 plants got slaughtered by last winter's -35 degree temps but the survivors needed very little water this summer. I planted no tomatos this spring thinking they'd just rot but usually I have some cherry tomatos (sweet million) keeping the neighbors happy.

2 Likes

I love the plants that give tons of fruit, like peppers and tomatoes. Cherry toms especially will turn into a big bush and you'll have 100's of little tomatoes.
they're great in salads etc, but not so much in sauce.

2 Likes

They're not the craziest spiciest peppers, but they're pretty spicy. Too spicy for me, except in small quantities. My wife uses them a lot though.

Native to Mexico, but widely used in Korea.

2 Likes

Do you use them like a reg chili, or more like a jalapeno? I see they are weaker than a jalapeno, so I'll look into giving these guys a try next year (If I can find seed)

1 Like

A little off topic, but I find it crazy how peppers, tomatoes, corn and cucs are originated in the Americas and were brought to Europe/Asia. Now look at how important these are in cultural food all over the globe.

4 Likes

The squirrels ate my peppers a couple of years ago. I try not to plant anything I have to wrap in chicken wire.

1 Like

Even worse, the cats have been using part of my garden as a litter box and killed all my little baby carrots. I'll be fencing in most of it next year.

2 Likes

My wife uses them in soups. In Korea, they usually dry them and grind them into powder and use it in almost everything.

2 Likes

We had a problem with rabbits until I put up this sign. I included the visual because many rabbits can’t read.

5 Likes

:smile:

I don't mind sharing some with the rabbits (and we have many), but we have an Aunt problem, and they take alot!

3 Likes

You are most wise in the ways of rabbits IllinoisGuy.

Did you remember to include the French language equivalent on your sign in equal or bigger lettering? Also, where's the wheelchair access ramp to your garden. I can see at least two, maybe three code violations in that picture sir.

I will have to come over to your place and confiscate your vegetables.

4 Likes

I have a garden at the cottage. There’s nothing better than a fresh beefsteak tomato.

1 Like

Sure there is! That fresh beefstake sliced up on toast with some bacon, lettuce & mayo!

3 Likes