How Will The Riders Defence Us??

The game against Saskatchewan on Saturday night, in Rider Field, will be the toughest test of our season so far. Shivers and Barrett are on the hot seat, the team is coming off a bye week and are well rested, and there is the threat of changes to personell....add playing at home in front of the frenzied Rider crowd and you know this one is going to be really tough. The key will be to try to get up on Saskatchewan early while they adjust to the speed of the game, since they've had a long layoff.

Here is how I expect them to try to stop our offence.

1. They will probably try to keep Printers in the pocket. They'll do that by keeping their ends wide on four or four man rushes. They'll also bring heat on Printers, mostly from the outside.
  2. If Printers shows any tendancy to run (rather than dance) they will put a spy linebacker on him to prevent him from taking off for a large gain.

What Should We Do

1. We need to hurt them on the outside against blitzing linebackers. Outside screens, tosses, dumps, hot reads, and quick crossing patterns will hurt them against blitzing outside linebackers or defensive halfbacks.
  2. Printers needs to run early up inside if he gets pressure and doesn't see anyone open...the spy linebacker will help us if we can take advantage of it.
    Spying Printers will open up Warren and Green on two back sets and Warren in our one back set. The middle will also be open behind the spy linebacker. If the safety comes up, then post patterns to Simon, Myers, and Clermont will be there.

Printers can create a lot of additional problems for defences. If his timing is back and he can stay poised in the pocket there can be a lot of openings as teams try to defence his running ability and his skill at rolling out. If Printers can force the defence to adjust because he's hurting them and play more of a vanilla rush with zone behind then Printers will be able to roll out and buy time.....deadly for defensive backs.

The keys will be a good game plan and execution by Printers...let's hope his arm is feeling good on Saturday. Should be both interesting and exciting.

Blitz this is so thorough Saskatchewan should be paying your for this or you should be banned from posting..lol.

I sure can't argue with anything in your commentary both as to what the Riders should do and how the Lions should respond.

The only thing I'd like to see is our backup Buck Pierce get some time again in this game. He is deserving of more time and he has shown himself to be more than capable of running this offence.

Casey I am sure will have a superior performance to the Hamilton game as he has had more time to get ready and take some snaps in practice and he should be pumped and raring to go with the rust behind him.

Blitz this is so thorough Saskatchewan should be paying your for this or you should be banned from posting..lol.

I sure can't argue with anything in your commentary both as to what the Riders should do and how the Lions should respond.

The only thing I'd like to see is our backup Buck Pierce get some time again in this game. He is deserving of more time and he has shown himself to be more than capable of running this offence.

Casey I am sure will have a superior performance to the Hamilton game as he has had more time to get ready and take some snaps in practice and he should be pumped and raring to go with the rust behind him.

Pierce-I learned a lot about perseverance. Things aren’t always going to go your way. I’ve become so much more aware of the realities of the game and life…Things can be taken away from you. You can either sit back…or overcome it and fight through it....

Football 16....I think you're defintely right, that Casey Printers will play better against Saskatchewan with more practice reps. However, Saskatchewan's pass defence is one of the best in the league...which will make things more challenging. Hopefully we can establish the run, which will make his job a lot easier...he'll definitely need to be patient at times and take underneath stuff and he'll also need to release the ball earlier or run quickly against the blitz.

On defence Nealon Greene has a tendancy to want to throw underneath and rarely throws deep. However, our secondary has been designed to give up the underneath pass and stop the long ball…it will be interesting to see the adjustments we make on defence. The key will be stopping the Saskatchewan running game, including Greene running.