How to reduce 2 and outs

when a team first takes possession in their own end, then get 5 plays to get first down or punt. If they get that first down and are still in own end, then they get 4 plays to get first down or punt. After that, or anytime they have first down in opposing half of the field, then its just plain good old 3 downs.

Or teams could try to improve their offence. :stuck_out_tongue:

geee, I never thought of that..hmmmm.

Naahh, too farfetched.

I guess the CFL only works of the offence is stronger then the defence… Otherwise it is just a game of punting and turnovers.
Realistically, the CFL could look at having two rosters per team. One for defence and one for offence. The offences would be allowed 25 players, but the defence only 18.

One year of low-scoring with expansion Ottawa diluting the talent pool and everybody's freaking out. Relax. Offence will come back. Everything is cyclical.

Im sure Ottaw hasnt helped, but ive seen signs leading to this since 06. That is when the rosters were expanded from 38 players to 42. Those 4 extra players were all added to defensive depth... This season the CBA allowed two reserve players to be added to the roster so thus 44 players.. Thus more depth for the defense..
It is a flaw in Canadian football, that the bigger the roster gets, the worse the entertainment value gets.

I didn't say anything about the scoring. Just wanna see more field position changes by other than punting.

Why just five? How about twelve plays to score a touchdown? Or double the yardage for defensive penalties? Or make defences have six nationals on the field at all times? Or eliminate zone defences and blitzes? Or eliminate holding penalties for O-Linemen?

Or, as was suggested, make teams get better and earn their points.

Punting is a result of not moving the football. Not moving the football means low scoring. Everyone's talking about essentially the same thing. Defences have evolved, which is why teams aren't able to move the football as effectively. Eventually, offences will adjust. We're also seeing more injuries to QBs, which is affecting the quality of offensive performance on average.

I am not in the least concerned, nor would I institute rules changes just to avoid two-and-outs.

How about allowing a team only two punts per quarter.
On second thought don't answer this, I'll turn my Iphone off and go back to watching tonight's second game.

I don't see what's wrong with 2 and outs anyway.

Special teams are fantastically exciting, and there's always the chance of a huge hit or a run back or a fumble.

If you don't like 2 and outs, then you probably don't like kicking.... if you don't like kicking, then watch NFL.

I said reduce, not eliminate

Someone ban this radical.

I'm sorry FYB... I didn't realize you hated the Argo's so much.

We can be pals.

huh???

Coach sends out the punt team on 5th and 10. Yea, this is officially (and I’m dead serious) the STUPIDEST rule change proposal that I’ve ever heard.

its not a proposal, just a concept. would never expect it to actually happen

How about more practice rather than the CBA 4.5 hour time limit.

Offense has the advantage because they know what the play is. Offense is about timing and the execution of it.

If QB's and receivers could practice more on timing, I think Offensive numbers get better... Also, the current salary cap structure is set up where teams must pay an elite QB approx 8 - 10% of the entire CAP. Which unfortunately does not leave much $$$ for a decent back-up if the main starter goes down. Case in point, pretty much every team this year with exception of Toronto and Ottawa who have not had their starting QB's injured yet... But if they do get hurt, the number two guy on each team has little to no game experience in the CFL

gain more than 10 yards...

I think that is a bigger problem than most of the other reason being given. Stuff like route running and even ball catching is stuff that could be worked on in practice if they had more time. I mean, it's not like they need to be full contact practice for 8 hours a day to get a lot of benefit from it.

If QB's and receivers could practice more on timing, I think Offensive numbers get better... Also, the current salary cap structure is set up where teams must pay an elite QB approx 8 - 10% of the entire CAP. Which unfortunately does not leave much $$$ for a decent back-up if the main starter goes down. Case in point, pretty much every team this year with exception of Toronto and Ottawa who have not had their starting QB's injured yet... But if they do get hurt, the number two guy on each team has little to no game experience in the CFL
Backup QBs don't get game reps most of the time, and paying them more won't fix that. The CFL won't be paying enough to a backup player to lure guys from the NFL. If they had more practice time, the back up would probably get more reps in practice.