How to Draft a Winning Quarterback

I posted this on the Ti-Cat board but perhaps it may be of interest here as well.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008 ... ntPage=all

Yes, it's several pages long but WELL worth the read.

Here's a sample...

The year before, the same thing happened with Ryan Leaf, who was the Chase Daniel of 1998. The San Diego Chargers made him the second player taken over all in the draft, and gave him an eleven-million-dollar signing bonus. Leaf turned out to be terrible. In 2002, it was Joey Harrington’s turn. Harrington was a golden boy out of the University of Oregon, and the third player taken in the draft. Shonka still can’t get over what happened to him.

“I tell you, I saw Joey live,? he said. “This guy threw lasers, he could throw under tight spots, he had the arm strength, he had the size, he had the intelligence.? Shonka got as misty as a two-hundred-and-eighty-pound ex-linebacker in a black tracksuit can get. “He’s a concert pianist, you know? I really—I mean, I really—liked Joey.? And yet Harrington’s career consisted of a failed stint with the Detroit Lions and a slide into obscurity. Shonka looked back at the screen, where the young man he felt might be the best quarterback in the country was marching his team up and down the field. “How will that ability translate to the National Football League?? He shook his head slowly. “Shoot.?

This is the quarterback problem. There are certain jobs where almost nothing you can learn about candidates before they start predicts how they’ll do once they’re hired. So how do we know whom to choose in cases like that?

The article compares teaching to being a QB and it always seems to come down to actual on field/in class performance IN A SIMILAR SITUATION. College QB's don't play in a pro situation and so some skills that make you successful in one might actually damage your chances in the other.

This article changed my understanding of QB's.

I prefer the time machine method. Travel back into the past with knowledge of the future and draft all of the best QBs.

So many QB busts because of the timeframe they are given. Remember that many of them took two or three years on the sideline to learn behind a starter or a series of starters. Many college QBs are only starters for one or two years. Then the NFL drafts them and puts them on the field that first year. JaMarcus Russell and Josh Freeman will be the next two that the NFL will give up on. Both needed a pair of years watching but the big money contracts don't allow for that. Big money = playing time.

The QBs taken in the 3rd round with less pressure have a better chance at surviving. It will be interesting to see how Sanchez and Stafford fair next year when the papers believe that they should've learned something by now.

Have Wally Buono pick the QB.

I swear, just about every QB he starts turns into an experienced Pro. There was this third-string QB (forgot his name)this year who finished a game and played brilliantly (before he got injured-- I guess injury-prone is also a Buono calling card). Going back to Garcia, Dickenson, Printers, Buono has a knack for picking QBs....I've never seen a gm/president in any football league be so prolific in QB selection.

it's his scouts! he hires great scouts who find these guys.

then it's up to Wally to make them into the great CFL type QB!

I think you hit the nail on the hit with Wally Buono. It is a talent to be able to project what a young player in any sport will look like down the road. The few teams that have those type of evaluators end up in the winners circle while the other teams have revolving doors of coaches and managers.
Travis Lulay is probably the kid you were thinking about who played some for BC this year.

Wally Buono also brought Doug Flutie and Henry Burris into the CFL. Jarius Jackson and Buck Pierce maybe aren't in the same league as some of the above mentioned QB's, but there's not too bad when you look around the league.

re-"Wally Buono also brought Doug Flutie "- Is that correct? i thought it was Obilavich in B.C at the time, Wally was in Calgary no?

You are absolutely correct, Flutie did play in BC before coming to Calgary and play for Wally Buono. I remember the first game I saw him play in BC, he threw 4 interceptions. But you could see he was mentally reviewing each play in his mind, as they showed close ups of him after each INT. It didn't take him long to figure out that extra safety though. That adjustment or lack of it, ruins a lot of the US QB's coming up here.

Speaking of O'Billovich, he is probably a close second to Buono in spotting talent IMO.

Good discussion... but did anybody else read the article to comment on that? :slight_smile:

I'm getting "The page you are looking for could not be found" error message from the New Yorker website.

You a subscriber? They may have moved the article.

It was the Lions owner at the time, Murray Pezim, who brought Flutie in. I'm not sure even Obie thought Flutie could play in the CFL at first, and Flutie didn't even start right away.

And yes, I recall he had a bad first outing as well, but it sure didn't take him long to catch on.

Thanks, Dave. It looks like the second half of the link didn't register somehow. Here it is again...

[url=http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/12/15/081215fa_fact_gladwell?currentPage=all]http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008 ... ntPage=all[/url]

It really is worth a read from my perspective.

i think the name of the third stringer in bc this year was travis lulay? he played real well when he was out there. maybe partly because no one new who he was.

any chance we might someday see Tim T from florida state in the CFL someday? they say he is too small for the NFL... He would sure look good in the big C