How should these huge TV revenues be spent?

Why?
15% of the current cap is $660K($210K more then Lulay currently makes as the highest paid player)
10% of the current cap is $440K

I completely agree the league should try to tie a player salary Cap AND a player salary Floor attached to the SMS cap.
Make it so no player can earn more then 10% of the cap and no player can earn less then 1% of the cap.

So saying the Team cap goes up to $5.5M for the 2014 season, the highest a player can earn is $550K, the lowest $55K.
a big increase on the current min, and the current highest paid player(Ray and Lulay at $450K)

Really no player should be mad about that deal, cap goes up by $1.1M and everyone gets a big pay increase, yay. Now the league would need to start slightly lower then this so they can bargain to it, but it works.
And as I said before as part of this have the team cap go up by 50-100K per season.
+
Every CFL team gets an extra 1.4M of TV money after the players take the cut.(IFFF the reports that the per team revenue are going from 2M per team(with 8 teams) to 4.5M(with 9 teams) If the reports are over stating how big the new TV deal then obviously it should be adjusted accordingly)

I agree…pretty much falls inline with percentages I laid out.

I don’t see why a single player should think he is worth more than 10% of his team’s salary…that leave an average of 2% for each other player on the 46.

As I wrote yesterday, no player should/shall be paid more than 10% of max.cap. I concur with barnes7 suggestion of a minimum 1% paid to a player.

With these %,teams/fans would not have to worry how much the max. and min. salaries would be.

We can assume that in 2014 the max. cap will roughly be $5.0 millions. Max.salary would be $500,000. and minimum salary $50,000; by 2016 or so, the max. cap will roughly be $5.5 millions; max.salary would be $550,000. and minimum salary would be $55,000. Would be great.

While a QB is extremely important to the team, he should be well paid but not beyond 10% of max.cap. During a season and taking into consideration players on 1 game injury list and practice rosters players, there is an average of 53 players per team; in fact, when the League pays playoffs and Grey Cup compensation to teams,it is based on 53 players per team. Assuming that the QB gets 10%,there is 90% remaining for other players. A rough average of 1.7% or $85,000. Should not be less.

Richard

Why? Because quarterbacks are the stars of the league and we’ve had far too many head down south for dubious NFL opportunities. When you can make just as much (if not more) holding a clipboard in the NFL than you can playing in the CFL that’s a problem. All pro leagues pay their stars much more than guys just occupying a roster spot. The starting qbs of this league are the ones who put butts in the seats, not back up o-lineman. Its not as if teams haven’t given out big contracts. Just a few season ago, the Ticats signed Casey Printers to a deal worth close to $500,000 when the salary cap was much lower than it is now. Printers stated publicly that if the Lions had offered him even $400,000 after his MVP year he probably would have never even gone down to the NFL. Now hindsight being what it is, it turned out to be a great move not paying him, but things could have very easily turned out differently had he been a better player rather than the flash in the pan he turned out being.

Also, notice I said I would put the range of 10-15%, not just automatically raise every qb to 15%. In the NFL, the best qb’s get paid even more than 15% of the salary cap. The CFL is an even more qb dependent league.

How about put some away in a rainy day fund. CFL goes in cycles and their are some very fickle markets in the CFL. Montreal and BC have been winning for a long time, eventually they will hit a rough patch and their fan support will drop off and will need to ride that rough patch out. If not for Brailey and Young this league would be in trouble. Things are ok now, but spending like the good times will continue for ever is a great way to lose a franchise.

Any of those systems would work % of the cap etc. as long as the numbers for star players mostly QBs begin to make an unbalanced paid team.
What is making the CFL work know is that the salaries from players from lowest to highest are in a closer range.
Lets face it the NFL is paying a plaer 390K which is pretty nice but then a player is making 15 million you really cant be friends

No QB makes 15%…Manning is at 14 and there are only a couple at 12%. The average was right in around 7.3% in 2012. That is why I used Durant as an example…he was right around that average.
Point being…in the NFL few QBs make 12%, so setting that at 12-15% in the CFL seems off. Most NFL QBs are under 10%.

Thats exactly what the CFL needs to avoid, improper spending on one name player. The Higher cap should allow for more equal pay among all of the players. Obviously top QBs, REC, DEs etc. will make more but in a responsible way

No QB makes 15%…Manning is at 14 and there are only a couple at 12%. The average was right in around 7.3% in 2012. That is why I used Durant as an example…he was right around that average.

Point being…in the NFL few QBs make 12%, so setting that at 12-15% in the CFL seems off. Most NFL QBs are under 10%.
You are also comparing to a league where the base salary is 405,000 in 2013…equivalent to 200 buck/hr for the average person working a 40.

In the CFL a 46k base is like making 23/hr…average income in Canada for a male is 25/hr. So in other words, they are better off taking a FT job.

Keeping top end a bit lower in the CFL’s case makes sense because of the lower tiers. IMO raising the base is far more critical than raising what the top earners already make. if you pay a top end QB 700k, he is still going to jump to the NFL if he gets a chance. The average QB who is not making that…well, he isn’t going to the NFL anyways. If the leagues average salary goes up 8% (43-55mil), and his contract only goes up 2 % while most others go up say 10% do you think he is going to say F this and walk away from a 300K+ a year contract? Unlikely. If you are making 50k and somebody offers you a job for 35 bucks an hour the only thing keeping you there is love of football. At the point of the low end pay we are not talking about padding pockets…we are talking about basic quality of living.

[b]depopulationINC wrote: In the CFL a 46k base is like making 23/hr...average income in Canada for a male is 25/hr. So in other words, they are better off taking a FT job. [/b]
this is somewhat misleading because the minimum wage salary (46K) in the CFL is for approx. 5 months work, or 6 months with playoffs. (not including playoff/GC bonuses and remuneration)

as well, the minimum 46K is only for 1st year players, as the pay scale increases incrementally thereafter.

and the player could also work part time during the off season if he wishes.

ok…go get a decent job and let them know you are only working 6 moths a year.

The CFL has tried spinning the 1/2 a year work thing for a long time, and that sh!t still stinks.

Most of these guys have educations, and to ask them to play half a year then get a menial job the other half is, to me, offensive. Few are able to land part time work that relates to their education, and most do nothing to further their careers after football. Should these guys go be bouncers…perhaps flip burgers…go plant trees (oh, wait, it is winter), ignore their education and go work in the oil patch learning the business in the dead of winter…

Why in any other league would one not expect the player to get another job to supplement their wage, but in the CFl it is fine? You just said the league wasn’t professional.

and YAY…a 4 year vet on base will be up to 50K instead of 46K…my bad

The league is attempting to appeal to players and attract them…you don’t do that by saying, yeah, the pay ain’t great, why don’t you get a job as well.

True. While CFL contracts pale in comparison in other leagues, one has to remember that it’s only 5-6 months of work. Moreover, CFL playoff payouts are quite high relative to salary.

Sure, you could only be making $46K, but if you’re a player on one of the two teams that finish in first place, you get $3,300 for that, plus an automatic $3,500 for playing in a division final. If your team wins the Grey Cup, you get $16,000 if your team wins that game (and $8,000 if you lose). Plus a ring worth at least $20,000 (BC Lions 2011 Grey Cup rings were worth $30,000 each). Not including the value of the ring, playoff bonus money ($22,800) can be almost 50% of your salary!

From November 2010 to November 2011,the Average Canadian wages were:
Healthcare and social assistance: $53,382
Construction: $53,282
Public administration: $50,211
Finance and administration; $44,762
Real estate and rental and leasing:$39,915
Arts,entertainment and recreation: $33,342
Accommodation and food services: $26,915

In 2011, average earnings of Canadians was less than minimum paid for a CFL player; presently, millions of Canadians work for minimum hourly rates. In 2011 and 20121 the average earnings for a CFL player were $83,000. Not too bad for six months and excluding playoffs and Grey Cup compensation; in 2012 Argos players received $23,000 for such compensation. Many,many Canadians don't earn this amount in 1 year.

For some of you,stop comparing with other Leagues and stop talking about CFL players as if they were Welfare recipients. Given all circumstances, they can't complain too much and they will receive significant increases in the next 2 to 3 years.

Richard

well then...just take the revenues and jack up the top end players...the base players have nothing to complain about I guess.

Again...walk into your boss's office and inform him you will only be working for 6 months of the year.

Top end players are still going to go to the NFL, even if you up them by 50%.

Football has become a year round sport with off season work outs. NFL players working out on their own. Prospective NFL players signing futurs Contracts. NCAA and CIS football players winter workouts and spring camp.
Then there is the Arena League for players trying to catch scouts from the CFL and NFLs attention.
The CFL is heading in that direction so for a young Canadian he will need to make a better Minimum salary before he may decide to leave football before he reaches his possible potential before taking another safer Higher paying job

I now spend my days investing. When I went to school I had no desire of doing so…was not my area of interest at all. However, after school was done, I made a reasonable amount playing, but I could have made more working, and a lot more after a few years. For me, taking work in my profession was not a great choice while playing…few people had interest in hiring a part timer, and those that did…well…it was crap work. Now that might sound picky or whatever, but why should I belittle my education…I could easily get 10 times the job working FT, but part time killed that. Yeah, I knew a few guys who landed great things on the side, but they were few and far between. For me and most of the guys I knew the offers were such that we may as well work as a cook or a bartender or such on the side, and not degrade our chosen professions, and it was even harder for those that decided to live locally in the off season. Some guys couldn’t get crap for work because of the headaches of an American employed abroad. For me, I started investing. I figured hey…I can do this during the season as well as the off-season…It furthers me post playing career, while those menial jobs don’t…in fact they hurt me long-term. I was lucky…turns out I am what most would label a ‘savvy’ investor, but it is damned damned hard for those guys making under 50k (or at any rate honestly) to do anything to better themselves long term. I have seen so many guys play their careers and top out at 75-80k (which hey, is not bad money…while you play), then they retire and are ‘the new guy’ in their job at 35 years old…with no experience and education they really have not done anything with in over a decade…an education that is rusty at best, and in some cases near being obsolete because it has not been maintained through PROPERLY applying it in a day to day job.

From November 2010 to November 2011,the Average Canadian wages were: Healthcare and social assistance: $53,382 Construction: $53,282 Public administration: $50,211 Finance and administration; $44,762 Real estate and rental and leasing:$39,915 Arts,entertainment and recreation: $33,342 Accommodation and food services: $26,915
Takes a lot of balls to essentially say a player should be happy because they are making above these averages, even if it is a 1/2 year thing. That's is a $50,000+ education making 46k...That is NOT the 'average' salary these guys would make working...they would be above average in any of the sectors listed above, simply because they have the education to back it up.

Hell, I have heard of a few Canadians who did not want to play in the CFL and worked instead so they could make more money. the 1/2 time line is a load of crap, because it limits anything else you can do.

False. You’re splitting hairs with Manning as he easily falls “in the range” of 10-15% coming in at 14%. However, even at that, Drew Brees and his most recent contract of $20 million/season at a projected salary cap of $123 million comes in at an even greater 16.2% Now I’m counting the total monetary compensation he receives from the team over the term of the contract which serves the purpose of this discussion, NOT his salary cap number.

For CFL purposes, nobody said all qbs would get higher amounts. However, if through exceptional performance a team deemed it necessary to invest in their QB to keep him from bolting for an NFL tryout, they should have the ability to do so.

the one thing about the CFL salary cap system is that they did not make it so complicated like the crazy NFLs.
SO lets keep it that way. the Minimum salary a player can make is 60K in the new cap in 2014 and the Max a player can make is 550K. Period.
Yearly CBA increases after that will be worked out in the CBAs

You played in the CFL?

depopulationINC wrote: ...go get a decent job and let them know you are only working 6 months a year.
I said players could get a PT job in the off season if they so wish. It is unlikely players will be searching for jobs as a company CEO or Chief of Neurosurgery (unless qualified of course) and many industries hire PT or seasonal workers if a player is looking for additional off season income.

It is all about personal choice.

depopulationINC wrote: The CFL has tried spinning the 1/2 a year work thing for a long time, and that sh!t still stinks.

Most of these guys have educations, and to ask them to play half a year then get a menial job the other half is, to me, offensive. Few are able to land part time work that relates to their education, and most do nothing to further their careers after football. Should these guys go be bouncers…perhaps flip burgers…go plant trees (oh, wait, it is winter), ignore their education and go work in the oil patch learning the business in the dead of winter…

who placed a gun to the head of players to sign with a CFL club?
Nobody.
If educated players wish to play Canadian football without further pursuing professions related to their school degree, it is entirely their prerogative to do so.
How is it offensive to a player if this is the career path they have chosen?

depopulationINC wrote: You just said the league wasn't professional.
Where? I never said anything of the sort. feel free to use a quote from my post if you disagree.
depopulationINC wrote: and YAY...a 4 year vet on base will be up to 50K instead of 46K...my bad
Which 4 year vets make $50,000?
depopulationINC wrote: The league is attempting to appeal to players and attract them...you don't do that by saying, yeah, the pay ain't great, why don't you get a job as well.
Again, nobody forces players to sign with the CFL. If they feel the pay is insufficient, they are free to follow alternative career paths. It is all about personal choice.