Last time TSN signed a CFL deal, the initial report was $36M/yr. Then $40M. The consensus settled in at $43M/yr.
TSN and the CFL inked a 3 year extension today - until 2021. If I was a betting man, I'd bet the extension was a condition of the Argo sale. Now we are left trying to guess how much of an increase, if any, the CFL received.
Why I think the amount per year is the same as the last contract...
- Buying the Argos was not cheap for BCE. They, along with Larry Tanenbaum, will have to cover the Argos' BMO costs - $10M for the Fed's portion and (perhaps) $10M for the province. Assuming Braley got $10M for the Argos and the team loses another $20M between now and 2021, Tanen-Bell could be in the hole up to $50,000,000. In return, they'd want an extension at little or no extra cost.
- The CFL needs BCE to ensure the Argos are safe and give them access to the Toronto Corporate market.
Why I think the amount per year is (much) higher than the last contract...
- The teams out West would NOT sign an extension without an increase - they have little or no sympathy for the Argos or the teams in the East.
- The market rates for CFL TV numbers are much higher after the NHL deal(s).
- TSN NEEDS the CFL and (hopefully) the CFL knows it.
Add it up and I'm guessing the deal averages $55M/yr.
Information on the deal will leak over the next couple months - it will take a while before we get an exact number.
How much do you think the average will be, per year, between now and 2021?