How Matt Carter got here

Mom, pop and Cats welcome Carter to Ontario

http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/599941

July 14, 2009 By Drew Edwards

The Hamilton Spectator

Here is what Matt Carter said about being on B.C.s practice roster...

I stuck it out for the first week or two but with the income and the expenses it was tough.?

He was making $500 a week and living in
one of the most expensive cities in the country.

Then a family medical issue arose
back in Oakville where his parents live

— Carter wants the specifics to remain private

— and he felt the need to be closer to home.

He left and the Lions released him.

Carter says the plan was to come home, work
and go back to for his final year at Acadia.

But the Ticats came calling.

Playing in Hamilton presented the opportunity
to keep playing, live at home— where it’s easier

to live on $500 — and be near his family.

Wally Buono said..
he’s not concerned that one of his first-round picks is now a Tiger-Cat.

“He came here, he wasn’t good enough to make our starting 46-man roster.
We offered him a spot on the practice roster, he took it, but then decided,
very sincerely, that he needed to be at home,? Buono said.

“The player has the right to choose his own path.

I don’t know that we did anything right or he did anything wrong.?

Obie said...
O’Billovich said there is no wink-wink deal with the Lions and his good friend Buono regarding Carter.

“We haven’t talked about him at all,? O’Billovich said.

Can't blame the kid for wanting to be closer to home. I don't think anyone did anything wrong here. If the Lions didn't think he could crack the starting line-up, he was well within his rights NOT to stay there on the PR.

Best wishes to him and his family and I welcome his contribution to the team.

No foul here, that's for sure. When a team places a 1st round pick on the practice roster, the player has every right to explore other opportunities.

Buono's mistake was to not suspend or have him retire. That way, he could have kept his rights...

Why keep rights to a guy that doesn't want to play for you? That would be kind of unethical actually.

We did that to that QB that flew the coop after a single day in training camp. Smart move. We "lost" Chris Leek to Montreal in a similar situation.

Not really. They had already placed Carter on the practice roster meaning that he was free to leave anytime he wished. You cannot suspend a player that is on the practice roster. Obviously Wally was not convinced that Carter was worth keeping. Teams rarely place a first round draft pick on the practice roster in their first year. If Hamilton put Rottier on the practice roster he would be gone in a flash. The Leo's had 3 first round picks and clearly decided that keeping Carter was not a priority. Hopefully it will be our gain, but only time will tell.

Just because a guy is not “good enough” for one team doesn’t mean he isn’t for another or the CFL. Although not as much as the last couple seasons the Lions are still pretty deep at receiver.

Another factor is that different players learn in different ways. Sometimes certain position coaches can’t truly bring out a guys ability because their coaching style doesn’t compliment that players skill and instincts.

So many guys in this league and the NFL have been average somewhere then after a trade or free agent signing just bust out with talent. Its all about being in the right situation for you and your coaches. Carter has great speed and pretty good hands. He just needs time to develop.

Hey Zenstate,

I agree with your assessment of Carter. I saw quite a few of his games at Acadia and, at least at the CIAU level, he looked dominant. So he has a chance in the CFL. I just wanted to counter the suggestion that we had somehow scooped this guy from BC. Buono is a smart guy, and he obviously was willing to risk loosing Carter, even before the family situation came along. But its our gain for sure.

I doubt Leak would have made the team last year, it worked out well for everyone that he left.

That's how Wally rolls, he loves to stick high quality rookies on the practice squad to develop, it's his fault for not putting him on the injured list.