How many fans will the Cats lose.......

....because of this stadium issue?
Without taking sides on what has transpired since yesterday.......does anyone think that many fans will just assume this team is doomed and bail from season ticket buying or even catching just a few games this season?
I can't help but think the fan base will suffer unless some agreement on a stadium is reached before the end of June.

How many? I guess whatever the total number of fair weather fans is.

mr62cats

I don't think it will effect this years or even next years attendance, that will be influenced more by the improvement we have seen with the team. But, and it is a big But, this stadium question escalates and gets out of hand to the point that the future of the team is in question, then yes it will have some effect down the road. Funny how something that just a short time ago was such a happy and wonderful announcement has come to the point where people are actually starting to worry about the future of the franchise! Only in the HAMMER! :?

On the other hand, and who knows, but it could be a catylst for something else altogether, not in Hamilton but with David Braley and Bob Young and some other real estate people involved. To tell you the truth, a CFL stadium combined with an NHL arena in Kitchener area by the 401 and retail/entertainment complex might be interesting especially if they could get Jim Balsillie on board. But this is a huge project and I doubt this would happen. But maybe a CFL stadium in the Burlington/Oakville area, who knows.

The Cats will lose no fans.

From now until the new stadium opens, the attendance will stay the same. The last season at IWS, avg attendance will rise because the last couple games will be close to sold out because it will be the last time most people will be at IWS and hopefully the Cats have a closing ceremony and tribute to the old girl.

Once the new stadium opens, attendance will rise because everyone will want to see the new stadium and more than likely we will host a Grey Cup so people will get seasons so they get first crack at GC tix.

After the Grey Cup attendance will depend on how the Cats are doing. If they are near the top of the East the fans will be on board. If we have a couple more 3-15 seasons, you will see less than 20,000.

Notice that attendance has nothing to do with stadium location. All true supporters of the Cats will watch them play wherever. The real location of the stadium needs to be where the Cats and the city can make money.

None.

If anything, all the passionate discussion about the team will only engage casual fans even more. Some of those lost to the NFL, and who have become ignorant about the popularity of the CFL (...you know, those who think the stadiums are empty and the league should fold) will find it harder to be ignorant of the interest that surrounds the team, league and stadium issues.

I'm not sure this issue will polarize fans enough to make a lasting negative impact. If the Aldershot/ Burlington talk heats up, then I'll be revising this post. That has the potential to be very alienating.

But so far, the arguing is most evident on these boards -- and I still think its pretty healthy.

Almost gave myself whiplash when I did the double-take after I read this post. Pretty sure I pulled something when my eyebrows raised so quickly, too.

Like Kitchener, this idea is pretty out there! I could see the CFL making a go of it in London, but not so sure about K/W.

What I'm getting at slo is there is a chance for the CFL to get into a stadium with easy access, highway visibility for naming rights and that, and loads of parking right off the 401 and my read on this from reading what NHL fans in the southern Ontario want is Kitchener is ideally suited, and just happens to be where Jim Balsillie lives and has his business.

Yes, it's a far out idea I agree, but not totally out of the question I don't think if the Cats are to move out of Hamilton. The TigerCats and Argos would both play out of the stadium or the teams would be contracted into the Southern Ontario KArgoCats or what have you. And this isn't totally tongue in cheek, highly unlikely though.

Yeah, K/W is a bit of a stretch from the lucrative Golden Horseshoe though, Earl. I'm sure they'd fill the building out there, for the most part, but it's still a bit of an enclave unto itself. For obvious reasons, I'd want an NHL team in Hamilton, but I also think it makes geographical sense, too. Well established infrastructure linking the city to the surrounding area. And, right in the midsts of the commercial hub of Canada. So, I think if a team is going to come to Southern Ontario, I will be in, or along the GTA/ Hamilton corridor. I just hope it's not some sterile, uninspiring, unidentifiable centre like Vaughan Mills or Missisauga.

I tend to agree.

caretaker needs other revenue streams aside from gate. A new stadium is the only way to get that.

I think it all depends on what happens, if Bob moves the team, I'd say at least a third to a half the Hamilton fan-base is out without question. I also think it's the least likely, given that Burlington/Oakville I don't think are keen on a CFL team and Waterloo or London simply aren't going to invest the same amount of money in a new stadium as the Pan-Am project will.

I think if it's at Confederation Park, I think the fanbase is going to increase for the first season, to see the stadium and then, the vast majority of out of town fans are going to be out due to the proximity of the industrial sector and Woodward septic plants and the team will slowly dwindle and have difficulty attracting new fans even from the city, just as it does with Ivor Wynne.

If it goes to the West Harbor, I think it will initially increase as people will want to see the new stadium (even from out of town) and there is a good chance we'll get a Grey Cup and stick around until the team begins to play poorly. Pretty much slightly better then Ivor Wynne. Same goes for the Chedoke site, and I would assume the same if Bob intends on Northcliffe Ave or Hillsdale Rd. Any other "close to Aldershot site" destroys the RBC and would fall under "Move the Team"

We will have to wait and see though.

There are probably 50000 to 100000 vehicles (maybe more on weekends and holidays) that drive past Bobs desired location of the Confederation Park area on a daily basis. That is a whole wack of exposure for the stadium, city, and football team.

On the other hand, I have lived in the Hamilton area for 31 years. I had never heard of the "Rheem" site until this stadium issue developed, have not driven down there just to see where the stadium could end up, and could not draw on a map where this location is.

I completely understand and sympathize with the Caretaker on this issue. I will be a Cats fan thru thick and thin. But I do think the team is doomed if is has to play down there. And its almost a guarantee that the Caretaker bails if he has to lose 7million a year, on top of what he already loses.

Now.....if I had the money that some people do (and there are not many of them) and I owned the Cats...heres what I would do........let the city build its community building stadium (ya right, wishful thinking) at the harbour...I would then turn around, buy whatever land I needed with other developers and business partners and build my own stadium whereever I wanted it....and lease it for 15% less of what the City would want later to future tenants.....

Just ask the Bulldogs how fun it is to play at Copps Mosileum in front of 2000 fans and 16000 empty seats every nite.

But thats just me.....

If you support bob Sign the Petition i have started
I been spread the word to it via Media about i
But without alot People signing it
It won't get the Desired Effect

I am only 1 Fan but if we all sign it
We can Make a Difference please Sign links Below

Bob Saved our Football Team now Time to step up and Help Bob

As Fan I am doing my Part Join me Support Bob.

........let the city build its community building stadium (ya right, wishful thinking) at the harbour...I would then turn around, buy whatever land I needed with other developers and business partners and build my own stadium whereever I wanted it....and lease it for 15% less of what the City would want later to future tenants

Although I don't fully understand about the leasing aspect as you mention Put Me In, I like that idea if Bob thinks it can work. There's no reason to go in on the Rheem site if he thinks it's a disaster waiting to happen for the team. The harbourfront stadium could be used by the city for.... hmm, let me think, that lacrosse team silly was talking about. :wink:

This whole thing is starting to look almost like tragic comedy.

First any design should be sized for a CFL tennant and that is 27 000 seats. minimum

Second access, parking and transit should be designed and committed to along with the design of the stadium

Anything else is a WASTE of TIME and MONEY.

Its like a bunch of women picking out drapes when the windows haven't even been sized or numbered and no one wants to argue with crazy women so...

This whole thing is starting to look almost like tragic comedy.

First any design should be sized for a CFL tennant and that is 27 000 seats. minimum

Second access, parking and transit should be designed and committed to along with the design of the stadium

Anything else is a WASTE of TIME and MONEY.

Its like a bunch of women picking out drapes when the windows haven't even been sized or numbered and no one wants to argue with crazy women so...

LOL!! I vote this for "Best Stadium Post"! Hilarious! Sounds like something Bullard would say.

So does that mean Fred is part women part man - a shemale maybe? :lol:

See now, I heard from the women that it's more like a bunch of men sizing and numbering windows when the drapes haven't even been picked out and no one wants to argue with pig-headed men so...

Nice recovery!! Dodgin' the doghouse, eh?