How long can this franchise survive?

It's been a terrible ride, watching a franchise that was the best in the league, both in players and coaches to the front office and how it was run to this total shambles we have today. There are very few people in the stands and what really bothers me is no one in the organization seems to care. I just got finished listening to Cornelius' postgame comments, the same blah, blah after every loss. IMO somebody needs to get mad and come out and say that this is unacceptable and that the fans and city deserve better. If this same crap continues the team will become another Toronto, with everyone waiting on the teams demise.

3 Likes

Edmonton has to "Just win, Baby" to bring in the crowds

2 Likes

There seems to be no sense of urgency to do that from within the organization.

2 Likes

Edmonton is bound to survive even if they are awful for years through a combination of the state of the CFL and Canadian geography.

The league looks bad enough anyway in having only 9 teams, there is no way they could afford the optics of contracting back to 8, especially 8 including a struggling Toronto - it would look like a version of the Arena League's death spiral. Also, can you afford to eliminate a provincial rivalry game?

Then, assuming Edmonton can't be saved and the league scrambles for a replacement, which city gets the team?

Every time a CFL expansion thread comes up, you can guarantee wherever is mentioned as a good idea (e.g. Quebec City, Windsor) will also bring out sensible arguments on the other side as to why it won't work. The obvious exception to this is of course Halifax, which by this point should see the team named the Maritimes Mythical Sea-Creatures - everyone has heard stories they might exist, but nobody has ever seen it in the flesh.

If anything the saddest thing about Edmonton's season is how it reflects on the imbalance between the divisions - if they were in the East their 3 wins would put them right in the playoff race, if not a chance for the division title!

4 Likes

No disrespect but If Edmonton can not will not support their team anymore, perhaps, with the idea of keeping 2 teams in Alberta would be to move the Elks to another Alberta city. Population wise this would be difficult. Red deer would have be 3rd largest city (about 100 k) located between Edmonton and Calgary, which might be an issue. Giving Edmonton has decided to not support the CFL. Therefore close proximity to Edmonton may be a negative.
Lethbridge (about 93 k) / Medicine Hat (about 63 k) are approximately 1 hour apart and in the south eastern area of Alberta and could possibly have the demographics to support a CFL team. Both cities are on the rise and on the TransCanada highway, adding a professional CFL football team could only help population wise. Personally I haven't checked to see if either have a CFL approved stadium, which would be a must.
I wouldn't suggest making any Changes without doing due diligence would be foolish, start by playing a couple preseason games over the next 2 years just to see is if there is something there before causing bigger issues in Edmonton.

If Halifax can't build a 20,000 seat stadium, I don't see any smaller city doing it.

What are the revenues like in Edmonton? It was always a well run team.

I would have to guess revenue would be down because the fanbase is getting tired of watching bad football and I know of quite a few people who dropped their tickets after the name change.

1 Like

I'm just pissed off (and cheering for the Riders and Bombers this year) because they've spent the last 5 years trying to improve the culture around the team only to throw that all away by bringing in Chris Jones in the name of winning. And it isn't even working, so it was for naught.

1 Like

In fairness, Jones typically spends a year buiding his team, kind of like a 20 game preseason. Then he spends his next year winning and pissing people off, and then he bails. So at least its a short term issue.

3 Likes

The guys been here for 2/3rds of a season !!.....eessshhh...... people you need patience.....take O'shea in the 'Peg...they sure wanted his head in the first few years...and the rookie HC's we had didnt work out

1 Like

I'm glad they're losing. I hope they tank the next couple years then run Jones out of town on a rail.

Well, I'm not glad they're losing, since I can remember I've been watching this team, and for the the last 34 yrs. being a season ticket holder. I take no joy in this whatsoever. I just can't figure out what has happened here.

Oshea got really, really lucky with Zack. Had they not got Collaras, Bombers would be an ordinary team.
Elks should have got Adams from Montreal when they put him on injury list.
Cornelius had many games but only proved he is not a Zach, Rourke, Levi Mitchell, or Maeir.
Coach Jones needs a full season to set the team but getting a good qb is not easy.

2 Likes

If they changed their name I'd give them a far better chance.

3 Likes

To compare the Elks to Toronto is not fair. The Argos draw 5 figures to their games, the Elks draw 500-2000 people

1 Like

Ya,and 1500 of them are old, white guys. :scream:

1 Like

its terrible. inflation and that is a problem, lots of empty seats in SSK in biggest game of year. but in Edm, the Oilers cannibalize the market. you can buy a seasons seat for the Elks for the price of one Oilers game. There isnt anything sacred there when it comes to the Oilers. one thing affects another and when you collect that amount of money for a lottery where part of the money is kept by the team, thats a problem. plus the ticket tax which is 9%. Flames fans pay 2%. So in the Edmonton market, for every 100M the flames charge their fans, the oilers charge theirs $450M. And if the Flames didnt back out on the building deal, that money would be going to the city and not the team. thats why they backed out. the oilers get to keep the overages for the ticket tax. So if you are wondering why they cant pay players or the Elks are in financial trouble, or cant pay execs, then ask the Oilers for some money. If the Flames get the same building deal the Edmonton got, it will happen here too. I really wish the city of Edmonton would sue them for money, but they get to keep the overages on the ticket tax for non-hockey events so they wont be doing that. nothing back to the community. the lottery had a lady on there (2nd intermission plug) from Anchorage, AK. so its a business not a lottery to make oil country a better place. West Ed and the Oilers sell travel packages in AK. but they could give connor a better suit to wear. Herb Tarlic special!!!

So did you actually attend the game against Ottawa. Was it my imagination, or was tbere litterally no one at the game. Is somehow this highlight package not showing stands that are completely empty at mid field? Am I insane. It actually gets more sparse at tbe end of the game, when tbe score is still close. GAME HIGHLIGHTS │REDBLACKS vs Elks│ 08.27.22 - YouTube

1 Like

I missed the Ottawa game but the only game this year that there has been any number of people at is the Sask. game. Crowds have been horrible this year!

1 Like

There's just one solution to this problem, put a team in Chicago and get ESPN to pony up $100 million a year to televise games that under 200k viewers regularly tune in to. That's the magic fix apparently.

1 Like