How long before we're in debt again?

Now I know I’m pretty negative when it comes to the Bombers, but bare with me.

The big news about the Grey Cup in Winnipeg is that it will finally get the Bombers out of debt. (On a related note- does anyone even know WHY the Bombers were so far in debt?)

The thing is, how long until we’re in debt again? I don’t foresee another Grey Cup in Winnipeg for at least 10 years, and an aging Canad Inns Stadium needs millions of $$$ in repairs/upkeep.

I know I’ve said this before, but Winnipeg desperately needs a new facility with new revenue streams to ensure a healthy, competitive, long-term future. We’re talking luxury suites, restaurants, club seats- the whole 9 yards.

If poor management is to blame for the Bombers debt- and that is very likely the case- those people are still in charge… so I wouldn’t feel comfortable or “out of trouble” just yet…

....ten years.....to win another Cup.....sorry my friend....you're way off base....just a symptom of all of your negativity i guess :roll: ....and with the salary management system in place....i don't see debt at all in the future... :wink:

On a related note you must be either someone with an IQ of 50 or less, or someone who is 15 years old or less in order to not remember why the Bombers were in debt.

Go watch the Jets and leave us alone. Dunce.

Yes, Dunce, I've been waiting all season to say that! You have been ridiculed with every post you made this year and somehow you come back for more. Dunce.

Hey Jetboy. Better to remain silent and have people assume you're an idiot, than to speak and remove all doubt. If you want to be so secure, go live in Edmonton, dunce!

Hey Jet, the reason the BB were so far in debt was the mismanagement of other CFL teams. In the 80's when the Bombers were making money they were asked on more then one occaison to help out financially to teams in BC, Ottawa, and Calgary. This helped to deplete our bank account. And yes we did have bad management in the mid 90's when Reinbold was here. The team management we have now has worked really hard at getting us out of 5.3 million dollar debt so I am sure they don't want to go down that road again.

are you retarded 10 years until we get a grey cup if we get a dome for our new stadium we will have so many grey cups because they'll sell out then, and becuase people will travel here if theres a warm enviroment but when you have to travel here and freeze your ass its worth to just stay at home and watch it and we are right in the middle of all the teams so its perfect to have it here and asper is already talking about making a new stadium and planning to get a permit/clerance to build it during the winter.

I think the Winnipeg Goldeyes are the ONLY well-run sports team in Winnipeg's history.

And you guys making personal attacks towards me instead of talking about the topic of the thread? Lame. And you're wasting your time.

wellll....if you're sticking your a$$ out to get kicked....i have a big boot that's very accomodating....read through some of your neg. drivel... :thdn:

its not really wasting my time, wasting my time is reading the forums and not posting my opinion thats a waste of time so to post my opinon to me is time well spent and to make fun of a retard is even better time well spent please don’t post if u don’t like the bombers thats fine with me but to flame on them is not

Jetsin07 is just getting his kicks...
To bad , it has to happen on this forum..
He's a disgrace, to the concept of...
BRING BACK THE JETS.....GO BOMBERS..

Oh Jeesh this a Goldeyes thread, if only you had told us earlier. Go seek some treatment ASAP as you are one seriously messed up Dunce.

BTW you didn't answer the question as to whether you have an IQ of less than 50 or if you are 15 years old or less. Have a nice winter watching the Goldeyes lose another season on your DVD Replay. Well-run sports team? Boy oh Boy you must have real dark sunglasses on and the sun ain't even shining.

lol, JetsIn07

Y'know, there was a time when the BBs had no debt at all. That was back when the TV contract was healthy and the feds gave the CFL a backdoor subsidy through the CBC. At that time too the BBs had a contract with Molsons for beer and that made them a lot of money too.

Then came the Eskimos. When their oil output was not much more than Manitobas, the Alberta franchises were on a (more or less) level field with the rest of the league. With expansion of the oil industry came an expansion of salaries. Since only the Eskimos could afford to pay exorbitant salaries the other teams went quickly into debt bidding for players. Contracts of $150-300,000 were not out of the ordinary. We always hear about the generosity of the Edmonton club in helping out other teams but it was the Eskimos who drove those teams into debt in the first place. They had a strategy of interferring in other teams contract negotiations - telling the player they wanted to reject the offer of the other club until the player was dropped from the neg-list. Then the player was added to the Edmonton list and signed to a huge (comparitively) contract.

Winning the Cup in '84 cost the BBs more than they could possibly hope to earn in a season. Staying on top of the league for the next 10 years drove them into that huge debt.

In the '90s the problem was fan apathy (who wants to watch any animal slowly dying?) as well as a reduced TV contract. Players stayed away from the whole league as the salary cap went below the cost of living. Every team except Edmonton and Calgary was losing money because all had to service debts. Another poster pointed out that those clubs with some income had to help out others with no income. That didn't help either.

In the end the club survived because several well-to-do people reached down deep and served as Angels for the club. Now, at long last, the team is out of debt, living in the real financial world with a manageable budget. So long as the salary cap is enforced the team should make enough to cover expenses.

I'm sure that at some point the team will suffer another operating loss. So long as it doesn't have to dig other teams out of debt, its own debt should be manageable.

And always remember - if something has gone wrong in the CFL you can't go wrong if you just blame the Eskimos.

^ :slight_smile:

And to the idiots on this forum that insult me for no reason: It doesn't faze me. I'm sure you've figured that out by now.

Am I an idiot? C'mon give it to me!

Actually to correct some of you guys, the Blue Bombers had their dept forgiven. They did work hard to try to get out of dept, but they couldn't and alot of their dept was forgiven.
This Grey Cup did pull the Blue out of dept and put money in the bank for them but it does not mean that we will have smooth sailing from here on in.
I for one love seeing live football but I hate watching it at Canada Inns stadium and at times refuse to go to a game simply because of the crammed seating and in addition to that, the stairs have a flow of people walking up and down constantly which obstructs peoples views. This is extremly annoying.
For example to get a drink or go to the bathroom you have to walk down 50 rows of stairs, and then back up again. When you have thousands of people doing this it can really tick you off.
Keep in mind that thousands of fans are drinking beer and are going to the bathroom non stop.
Not only is it annoying but also time consuming and you miss alot of the game just making the trip to the bathroom.
So yes a renovation has to be done.
Until then I will keep buying endzone seats and drive to Regina to watch the Labour Day Classic.

Has any one mentioned for a minute that the Aspers has been the Bomber angel. The kid is right. You can not blame the other cfl teams for the downfall of the Bombers. At the start of this season Lyle Bauer even stated this money that is made from a successful Grey Cup is only a couple of years band aide. Thats hope for the bombers that this cap does in fact work. But when Bauer makes a statment like that you all should be concerned. Yes the team this year had a successful year to a degree and the fans did come out to support it. But until the bombers can each year put a good team on the field and put money in the bank each year the team just may have problems down the road with out a new revenue stream to count on. Right now the Aspers buying the team and getting an ownership group together of local business men that can invest in a newer stadium just might be the answer. The Aspers have rescued this team a few times and I am sure like Bauer stated this year with the GC revenue is only a band aide. Again thats hope this does not become reality and Bauer is wrong. But as fans you can not put your head in the sand and say it can not happen not again. The Stamps did that the last time they were community owned and we all know what happened to save them. Jets07 is right to a degree new revenue over the next few years may be required or new ownership.

Hopefully the bombers can break even or make a small proffit next year.
I remember years ago Winnipeg was going to get a multi plex for both football and hockey plus other sports as well.
If they only build that in the first place, then we would not have had this problem.
All the money went to a new arena and no stadium.

BeerBarons wrote:
"I for one love seeing live football but I hate watching it at Canada Inns stadium and at times refuse to go to a game simply because of the crammed seating and in addition to that, the stairs have a flow of people walking up and down constantly which obstructs peoples views. This is extremly annoying.
For example to get a drink or go to the bathroom you have to walk down 50 rows of stairs, and then back up again. When you have thousands of people doing this it can really tick you off.
Keep in mind that thousands of fans are drinking beer and are going to the bathroom non stop."

I'm very glad you said that. Before the addition of enclosed boxes a person could climb a few rows and use the facilities and buy a beer on the mezzanine above the lower level. You could also cut minutes off of the trip to the upper deck by taking the stairs in the lower grandstand. There have been too many "improvements" that restrict the movement of the fans. I used to take the time to visit freinds sitting elsewhere in the stands but that is now discouraged. The message to me is that the ball-park is built for fans to sit and watch, not to have fun. I have more fun sitting at home with friends than I do at the stadium.

Thanks for seeing my point 2Much2Soon.
They ruined it for thousands just to please 80 when they added those enclosed boxes.
It really pissed me off and now I make an effort to buy a seat anywhere other than near the enclosed boxes. I would rather sit in the end zone or the upper deck.
At least that way I can actually watch the game without missing some great plays.
Who's stupid idea was that anyway?