How is this for a 9th team in the CFL

Say what you want about my threads, but my threads are some of the most talked about subjects.
And I do talk about other issues as well. The Asper v.s Canada Inns has me right in there.
Now sticking to subject, remember it is just a idea. An oppinion. And something to chat about during the off season.
And there are other leagues that to this too.
All I am doing is applying it to the CFL.

BB, I give you credit for a vivid imagination.
And I also suspect you are inspired by more interesting drugs than just beer.....

NO!!

i laughed so hard my stomach got sore…ouch…HAHAHA…ouch.

This would actually perfect for a 10th team and you found the Reasoning, if this was a 10th team Because Halifax is building their Stadium why not?

You get the Halifax Owners to put together their group of Coaches/GM/Trainers.
The League Takes say… 5.5M of the League money(from the TV deal) and that is their operating Budget.

As I see it, this team would be called Atlantic Schooners(or whatever Halifax wants)
and would play their first year entirely on the road, now the goal is to get their team ready so they don’t suffer expansion blues(or less of) and Halifax can see before hand(by watching TSN) how their team will be.

Now The CFL and this Teams Owners should know they need to keep expenses low so how to do that?
have a roster almost exlusively of Rookies/Sophmores.

Thus all getting under 70K so the team Salary is say… 2.5M, this team would have 1 home game all year(in the pre-season) in Halifax and then play 9 home games away(boosting the Revenues of all other CFL teams)

Their Schedual would need to be made to lower their expenses, by playing out of the east they would play 12 games in a fairly close area.
They would play 6 games against the west preferably only going out west a few times(1 trip for WPG, SSK and one for EDM, CGY and BCL and of course the other team)
I would suggest this team plays Labour day against BC as a Coast vs. Coast labour day Match-up is the missing matchup.

How would this benefit the League? Halifax would likely get slightly increased fan support that first year because their team would be stronger, Their entire team would be back in year two(all CFL contracts are atleast 1 year + option) but the GM if smart would be signing guys to 2 or 3 year Deals + the option.
This team would not need to go out and get old FA players to try and Win fast, they would have to try and win, but with a team of mostly Rooks/Sophmores and perhaps a few under 29 CFL vets.

46 Players * 55K$ average = 2.53M

Now the new TSN deal will be 1.75M per team for 5 years. Total 14M

10 teams would be 1.4 giving 5.5M for Team Atlantic lowers that to 944K Average(hit would be bigger to eastern teams then Western as they get more home games)
That is a big hit to Team Revenues, and with Revenues from Game day at say 173K, depending on if teams Charge their Season Ticket holders more for that one year, if they do then that is alot more $$ around say 200K.

This Team would Officially be based out of Halifax, they would hold their Training camp there and that first Pre-season game(touchdown atlantic II)
So the import Ratio is still there.
This team would also be best to start more then 7 Canadian and have more then the required number of NI’s
Something like 10-12 NI’s Starting and 25 NI’s on the Dressed Roster + 2 on the active roster spots would be good for the team.
Filling in Holes in year 2 when you have those Canadian Starters is alot easier as you have that Flexibility.

Getting a Starting QB worked out is also a top priority, If the team can, having all 3 QB’s on the roster getting 6 games would make for a very very interesting year 2 Camp when they finally open in Halifax.

:lol: :lol: :lol: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFrtpT1mKy8 (I wish I could find one without subtitles)

As for the roaming team idea … no.

Not even if it was an atlantic team playing in 3 different stadiums.

I think the absolute first thing a team needs, in order to have ANY chance at success, is a home base!!! To me, it’s so obvious that I don’t even think about it!

It would just be bad for the League … it would drag it down, be a money pit, and cause the CFL WAY more ridicule than it ever heard for having two teams named the same (or nearly the same).

A temporary solution is unnecessary and a bad idea. Better to NOT rush into anything and do anything rash (USA expansion anyone?) and wait until you can be sure something will be permanent.

If you want quality, you have to be patient.

The problem is that there would not be any additional games. When there were 9 teams in the league it was an 18 game schedule, add a roving team and it is still an 18 game schedule.

Took me a while, but I figured out a quick, succinct way to sum up why this isn't a good idea:

It just isn't worth it.

I know it's just an idea and that you want feedback on it, but I can't see any way around it ...

I'm not sure about this idea also. But the good thing is that brainstorming ideas, whatever they are, is a good thing, that's what they make you do at meetings to generate new ideas. Sure, most of these ideas aren't feasible but the process of brainstorming is a good one. Keep up the good work BB and others. :thup:

I see two very huge flaws in this plan. Lets say there is a "team Canada"- Im assuming that you would stick the Bombers back in the Western Division, then put Canada and Ottawa in the Eastern Division to "balance things out".

First , both team would have to stocked with players. If Canada got the first pick in an expansion draft , how would that make Ottawa fans feel? Shafted? We hear enough complaints about that already, we dont need another thing they can harp about.

After that lets say that "Canada" had a fairly decent team and finished second in the East. Remember there is a crossover, so say the 4th place team in the West crossed over, since Canada doesnt have a home ball park, that would mean that the 4th place team in the West, would get a home game. If I were the 3rd place team in the division, I wouldn't bee too happy about a team that finished lower getting a home playoff game. Even if they played the game in one the Eastern cities that didnt make to the playoffs , what kind of crowd would that draw? My guess is it would not be well attended.

Your idea is not very well thought out. If we are going to go to 10 teams, we will have to find a city that wants an expansion team.

Yes it is an idea. Without ideas where would we be today. The problem here is why do certain members of this forum have the need to attack someone for these ideas. Sad really but I can see a pattern here. Yes opinions are required but the attacks are not go for it Beerbarons. If you do not like his threads simply do not reply or bullying :roll: the guy from making future threads. I do ntoice that thease individuals say nothing when we have had what three or four threads about naming an unexistant team. Yet Beerbarons has participated in other threads that are not just about expansion.

Good post , 05, but I have to ask, do you think its a good idea?

This is all so funny how some people take these way out ideas so seriously. Like the B of G's might see this and say, hey what a great idea, lets do it. :lol:

Well it has merit but would most likely not work. But it is an idea that can prep a team for a city with expansion in mind. The biggest problem to over come with an expansion team is time to develop as a competitive team.

Thanks guys.
You guys made this thread interesting thats for sure. What I liked about it is that you took my idea and added some great points for and against it.
Truth is, it was not really my idea, I just saw other leagues doing it and applied it to the CFL.
Barns7 you made a good point about Team Canada being a temporary team until a expansion city could get organized. That was a really good point. I never thought of that. And it might work.
RO, you may be right, the league may still only play 18 games per team, but having a team Canada may help take away some travel costs.
Thanks guys for once again making this thread interesting.

I think usually when you see it it’s out of necessity. The Florida Bobcats of the AFL were in that situation and it wasn’t very successful

Even you marketed to the rest of the country to say that if their town isn’t big enough for a franchise of its own, they can claim Team Canada for themselves, I doubt that would work. Part of the attachment to a home team is the ability to see them in person.

It’d be interesting if there was a way to have it play “home” games in places where there isnt already a team (You know the usual suspects). As you may have heard, those places don’t have stadiums, but maybe for a once-a-year event it could be done.

It’d be interesting but I don’t believe it would be a success.

Actually, not a completely bad idea. I think they do something like that in Australia, with aussie rules football.

BeerBarons:
Great idea! Hey if the Harlem Globetrotters made it work so can the CFL! Keep up the good work and there will be an Order of Canada in it for you.

But seriously, what would you think of this hypothetical team being put together for just the pre-season? 60-odd Canadian players who get to play 4 games against CFL opposition. They'd get to show themselves off and teams get an extra pre-season game.

Whadya thunk?

Don’t y’all find it a little ironic that rw05 is bringing up references to a certain marsupial when, after reviewing some of his recent posts, he seems to be emulating the style and attiude of the Aussie we’ve all grown to loathe and deteste? “What are these two trying to tell us?” :roll:

Then dont respond to my threads Mongo.
LOL
Its really that simple.