How is "Maher" actually Pronounced?

A small thing ( I'm sure not to Brett) but I've heard our kicker Brett Maher's surname pronounced three different ways. So...how is it pronounced? :oops:

PS: I remember it taking a few years for everyone to catch on to pronouncing Ben Zambiasi's surname correctly)

Sorry guys, my mistake (I started this on another topic). It's why I'm on this sites "Practice Squad" :oops:

Well you're in luck since I randomly just woke up at 5:00am and have had the same question since he joined the league it's a strange last name for being only 5 letters.

But from what I can find the usual way to pronounce it is like saying the word "Mars" with a silent "s" or mah-r ... I have been be saying it more like Ma-Her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJoAN3lKGQU

Here is a Youtube video that for some reason exists.

Perhaps kickers need more attention paid to them, and their names. I noticed recently the TSN-TV guys have adjusted their pronunciation of the Stamps' kicker's family name after a half dozen years, or so, in the league. They've changes from "PAIR-a-days" to "Pa-RED-es."

I swear announcers say Ma er. It has to be Ma Her. Try the Argo kickers name. I don't dare try and spell it but he's one Argo who's having a career turning year. Best Argo so far.

I think someone should ask the player himself how he pronounces his name, then let the stadium announcer know, and the TV folks. It's rude to go on pronouncing a person's name incorrectly.

Mon ey

Thats how i pronounce it. Im generally never wrong but im more than happy to eat crow over letting JM walk.

Why not just call him "Brett" the Kicker?
How do you pronounce the Toronto kicker HAJRULLAHU ?

The same way it's spelled! :lol:

I have a friend with the same name in Maher and his is pronounced like "Mar" not Ma-har or Mayor but Mar and I'm sure Brett would be the same unless he prefers something different?

I have a friend with the same name in Maher and his is pronounced like "Mar" not Ma-har or Mayor but Mar and I'm sure Brett would be the same unless he prefers something different?

There's a Youtube video for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BUuPOCQ9lg

I don't get tripped up on his name anymore. :smiley:

If he pronounces it like Bill Maher, the it’s Mar.
I also didn’t realize he was an Import/International. Always thought he was a Canadian/National.