How is DeAndra' Cobb coming along

that might be more respectful but it doesn’t really let anyone know how he is doing in camp.

and here is one of the quotes i was talking about:
As for Cobb, oski-oui-oui, he was running and returning the ball well. But ask him to catch it and there were problems… He was adjusting terribly, completely turning to the wrong shoulder. It was ugly… Sorry :frowning:

[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30[/url]

Agreed.

and here is one of the quotes i was talking about:
As for Cobb, oski-oui-oui, he was running and returning the ball well. But ask him to catch it and there were problems... He was adjusting terribly, completely turning to the wrong shoulder. It was ugly... Sorry :(
[url=http://forums.ticats.ca/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30]viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37827&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30[/url]
Nice find. Good post. Nothing disrespectful in those comments either.

I like Cobb
I think He'll make the Team and Replace Tre Smith as our Returner and 3rd Running back
Kids has great moves his Catching needs to be work on but that what Camp is for.
If he can have break out game vs Winnpieg He should do well

He get a real good look Today with Kenton Keith Hurt.

"....running and returning the ball well"....."lacks good hands".....says it all in a concise and respectful way! Wish him the best on making the team.

If DeAndra' must beat out one of Keith, Caulley, or Smith, a couple of things to remember is that Keith twisted a knee in his first practice (hopefully for his sake not to severely) and I think Caulley had knee (?) surgery late last year, so his current physical condition might be questionable (again I hope not, for his sake).

Having said that DeAndra' might make it on the roster due to injury to one of those three, or, more likely, if all three are okay physically, then being put on the practice roster, as insurance, is a likely scenario. If he is a better returner than Tre Smith, then I can see him beating him out for the third running back position. We'll all know more when the final pre-season game is played.

Good luck to your son, Mr. Cobb. I hope he has what it takes to be a Tiger-Cat.

I have not seen Cobb or been to any training camp workouts this year. So this is not a comment about Cobb but on one of the players he needs to beat out for a shot on the team. Although I do like him and think he's a pretty good player, I think Tre Smith's days as a Ticat may be numbered. He's a decent all round player but when he was given the chance last year at runningback, he really didn't step up. In fact, he fumbled on a number of occasions. So, without seeing Cobb yet, I think the coaching staff might be looking to replace Tre Smith with someone who offers more potential. Just my opinion.
Mr. Cobb, welcome to the forum. Good luck to your son. I hope to attend a few training camp practises and will watch out for him....

How can he be a star kick returner if he cant catch, that s impossible, this guy can catch hes probably nervous or having a bad day lets wait until we see him in an XGame then we'll all know, this guy can catch. :thup:

Bugsy I was going to suggest the same thing, but without being at the camp I felt making a comment might be perceived as a little presumptuous. But I do agree with you ... sounds like nerves to me. His past success suggests that his hands are fine, just a little nervous.... New team, new city, new country, new rules .... That'll do it.

From what I saw, he seemed to do fine catching the (simulated) kicks, but struggled to catch passes out of the backfield. IMO, it is more difficult to catch a punted ball, which suggests to me that his pass-catching skills can improve, with practice.

Mr. Cobb,
The reply from stevehvh is the fairest, most eloquent.
I echo his sentiments completely with my best wishes for your son in his career.
Thanks for visiting our site,
Best regards,
Merlin
p.s. Stevehvh – thanks very much.

I agree completely. Well said, Stevehvh and Merlin. :smiley:

I was just wandering where his father has been. He requested this info 4 days ago and we have not heard back from him.

Given the banter and other back-and-forth stuff that followed his post, I'm not surprised he hasn't come back for more here. Why would he? More heat than light I'm afraid. Not much of a welcome, that's for sure.

I don't blame the guy ..

I couldn't help but notice DeAndrea's tremendous speed and shiftiness.

Watching Training Camp is like watching a 3 ring circus.

My eyes may land on a player just before
he drops a pass on a crossing pattern

Since I didn't see the ball until the last second
I can't be sure the ball wasn't thrown behind him.

It is very difficult for a receiver to adjust
when those passes are thrown behind them.

I am not concentrating on a particular individual
the whole time I am there so I don't make comments

especially when I see a player mess up because
he may have made outstanding plays I didn't see.

I attend a lot of these Training Camp sessions.

All these players are skilled athletes learning systems
and demonstrating their skills for the coaches.

The coaches are a lot better evaluators than me,
and they review the whole session again on tape.

One day a player might be a 'dog' another day he may be a 'star'
far be it from me to label them 'stars' or 'dogs' each day.

What matters is not how they perform drills at training camp
but, more importantly, how they do in the exhibition games.

I seldom make comments about how they are doing
or what progress a player may or may not be making

especially before live bullets are flying.

I would like you all to know how much I do appreciate all of your commits good and bad, keep them coming.

GOD bless you all

Thank for your Courage in coming here.
It takes guts and If your son is like you
I am Sure he'll make it :thup:

Thank you

[i]College career

He was regarded as one of the premier kickoff returners in college football, returning four kickoffs for touchdowns (one return shy of the Big Ten Conference record of five) for the Michigan State Spartans in 24 games played. He earned first-team All-America honors after setting a Michigan State single-season record with three kickoff returns for touchdowns as a junior, which also tied an NCAA Division I record shared with six others.[/i]

Looks like this guy has some gifts. He didn't quite make the NFL but they sure took notice of him.

I wouldn't be too worried about a few dropped balls right now. That can be a combination of nerves, bad passing, lack of chemistry between receiver and quarterback, learning a new game and all it entails etc. I'm sure he knows how to catch a football.

Good Luck to him.

I'd much rather see mistakes and dropped balls in practice than during games. That's what practice is for. Let them make the mistakes and correct them before the season starts.

Deandra' is a running back, correct? I think they are mainly looking at him as a kick and punt returner. Like others mentioned, that's what I've heard most about him from his college days. I saw one clip of him taking one to the house. This team NEEDS some of that. We haven't had a dynamic kick returner in years.

Some have mentioned he had trouble catching on pass routes but fields kicks well...that is fine because as I said, I think they want him as a dedicated returner, as the halfback position is stocked right now. No disrespect to Cobb but Keith and Caulley will be number 1 and 2 and will likely see many formations together.

Some say the CFL roster is too small to have someone who only returns kicks but IF he is an excellent returner you'd be a fool to cut him just because that's his only role. Imagine Gizmo Williams or Keith Stokes being cut because they don't start on offense (Yes, I know they don't play any more but are my two favorite kick returners that come to mind). Special teams can make or break a game between two equal teams.

For his sake and the team's, and ours :wink: I hope he is good enough to be that guy. If not, then he is in tough to make the squad I think, just because there is so much veteran depth at his position.