How dumb is that!

Did anyone hear the Double penalty rule explanation from Sunday's playoff game?

There was a pass interference and an Unsportsmalike call against one team. (I beleive it was Pittsburgh.) The ref announced, we can only apply one foul against one team at a time so they applied the Pass Int. call (About 25 yards

What a goofy rule. Look at the possibillities!

I see that my defensive buddy is going to get a facemask penalty for tackling the ball carrier. Now I have a free pass to go head hunting against the opposing teams Quarterback. I know they can only accept one penalty, so I can litterally try to put that QB out of the game!

Glad we have better rules in the CFL!

I agree 100%. That was either a terrible call or is a terrible rule. Something seemed wrong though. I could understand if they were both during play, but one was after the play and I think the ref screwed up. But then again, I only watch NFL at playoff time and don't really know the rules. Perhaps they really are that stupid.

That does sound really weird.

Say that again? SM? that rule makes no sense!!! are they trying to kill their players?

.......yes, this is a deliberate action ont he NFL Board of Governors to actually kill their own players...........that way they do not have to honour contracts......

.........and why would he need to SAY it again?........perhaps you should READ it again........

.........the intelligence meter needle is dropping into the red zone again KK.......

......in the example you used though Sporty, I believe what would happen is the flagrant shot at the QB after the flag is thrown for the other foul would be the evilest of the two, probably with a game ejection and possible long term suspension and fines.........making it a one shot deal (excuse the pun)......there is still a code of honour too in effect and yes this could be broken for something meaningful, say a championship on the line, but hte player doing so would be more than likely shunned and banished to Monster Island.....

While I'm not advocating cheap shots, I think there is a "hole" in their rules. R&W makes some good points, but what the TV commentators also said, was that a player could make a complete a$$ of himself, throw his helmet, etc, etc, etc, and not have to "pay" a price for his actions. To me, thats bush!

Are there any NFL Experts out there to clarify what I may have, or may not have seen on the weekend?

In a leage that needs 4 downs to go 10 yards at a time, should we expect any less :lol:

[quote="RedandWhite"].......yes, this is a deliberate action ont he NFL Board of Governors to actually kill their own players...........that way they do not have to honour contracts......

.........and why would he need to SAY it again?........perhaps you should READ it again........

.........the intelligence meter needle is dropping into the red zone again KK.......[quote]

dude, I was kidding and not being totally serious

Kris, RIGHT ON!!!

..........see how far you have fallen then in credibility?......hey, don't blame me.....

redandwhite this is your cough your fault!

you can tell when I'm serious cuz if I am, I keep bring it up until I get an awnser. Plus, statements like fall as a "gee wiz" and aren't a real question.

I do not about you R&W but this wquestion just might be hard to answer! I am waiting for it myself!

I'll explain what happened here so everyone understands the situation. Denver snapped the ball and Jake Plummer threw a pass down the field and the Pittsburgh defender hit the receiver before he caught the pass. The official correctly threw the flag for pass interference against the Pittsburgh defender. Someone else on the field for Pittsburgh objected to the call and argued the call, which doesn't warrant a penalty flag. What did however, was that this same Pittsburgh player took his helmet off and threw it on the field, which was an automatice penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, and would have been a 15 yard penalty. Since the pass interference penalty was already called and was the greater of the two penalties in yardage (about 25 yards), the Broncos had the option of which penalty to accept, and quite logically took the pass interference penalty. Had the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty been a late hit on the quarterback after the play was over, if a punch was thrown, or was a cheap shot or late hit out of bounds, then it would have been added to the pass interference penalty.
On numerous occasions there has been more than one penalty called on one team, such as offsides on the defense when the ball is snapped, and then a face mask penalty on the defense on the tackle. In a case such as that, the offense will get their choice of which penalty to accept, since an inadvertant face mask penalty is 5 yards, and an intentional face mask penalty is 15 yards, each of which carries an automatice first down. So why accept the 5 yard offside penalty, when either face mask penalty carries the benefit of an automatice first down in addition to the yardage.

........doh, how could I have been so wrong then?......I guess its because when the same times are wrong and maybe "well, you know" can't help but we try, more than often so, but not when!.........

i think it has to be a 'personal foul' to add it on

Thanks spike for the info
In the CFL there would be 2 penalities and possibly a third for arguing the call

Thanks Spike for the clarification.

ro1313 is right...In the CFL would have been "additive".

To RO1313 and Sportsman

Glad I could help, and thanks for for your appreciation. When I collect my thoughts, I'll be weighing in on the discussion about the CFL and the NFL and who could beat who. I will be as fair as possible, but since I'm an American you probably know where I'll be coming from.

Well of course, now that you are a converted American to the CFL, yes, we know you will say our teams could beat any of the NFL teams any day of the week. That's what you were going to say, right?

:lol:

As a CONVERTED Aussie American, I can w/o a doubt say that.

So the CFL would have called two penalties against the one team, GREAT CALL!!!