How dumb does Hamilton city hall look like?

Now that the GC in Toronto made some $5 mill last year, how dumb does Hamilton look for not putting enough into IWS to make an owner like Bob Young not want to bring the big game to this city? Just wondering.

First of all you need to think of the counter arguments that you are going to hear. It's not that Bob doesn't want to have a Grey Cup, it's Hamilton isn't an ideal town to host the game in it's current state i.e. Stadium and lack of Hotels. 2nd - correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Hamilton lose $$$ last time they hosted the Grey Cup. 3rd - where are you going to put everybody?

http://13thman.com/cheers/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

Sometimes I wonder if the people down at city hall really care about the ticats at all. That the Ticats are Hamilton...

As for not having a Grey Cup I don't think it would be possible for several seasons, mostly hotels and venues. Hopefully we get a new stadium soon and can host a Grey Cup, but I don't see it anytime soon. We need more support from the people of Hamilton which I don't think is there right now

At this rate the east coast will have a Grey Cup before Hamilton does unless something happens with a stadium here in Hamilton soon.

Not dumb at all. It's not like the city of Toronto paid for the Skydome.

Why should the city of Hamilton kick in millions so that Bob Young can make a hefty profit? Welfare for the rich? No thanks.

Look, the city won't spend $400 k to get a country concert, then they aren't going to shell out at least double that for the Grey Cup. The biggest complaint is the concessions. They need to be improved.

The last time the cup was here we actually lost money.

The best time to do it is when the cats are good again so then you can get a lot of local ppl into season tix and grey cup tix.

That is a disgusting thing to say - without Bob Young you wouldn't have a team here. How long do you think he will stay and lose money with this team?

I agree it's a much more complicated issue than the title of this thread suggests and lessons learned from the last one here. I just feel a bit sad for Hamilton and the people that would love it and support it big-time that I don't think we'll be in the running for the big game any time soon. :cry:

Sad, but true. Of course we'd all love to have the game in Hamilton sometime soon. The fans would love it. However, stadium size, hotel space and other issues make it unlikely in the short term. Last time it did lose money, and wasn't even a sellout. Many of the same issues were in play then as we would face today.

I do not expect or even want Bob Young to be put into that sort of situation. He's done tons already. Let's not ask him to subsidize the Grey Cup too. If it's held in the Maritimes first, so be it. I'd love to buy a ticket and go there for the first ever East Coast Grey Cup.

The United States is near recession and Canada is hot on their tails. The price of gas and most other commodities has skyrocketed to a point where people are afraid to spend. This has created a vicious circle whereby fear of spending sends our economies lower, while the price of gas, etc. stifles spending.

This being said, I can assure you that a NEW STADIUM is NOT on the books for Hamilton; at least not without a major event that will give us contributions from the other government factions.

Meanwhile Hamilton, with no other choices at this stage will continue to apply band aid repairs to IWS.

A Tim McGraw, Faith Hill concert was turned down recentluy due to problems on the field itself. There was no mention of the stadium structure, which by now, we have all read about as being in pretty bad shape.

About 15 years ago when a Rock and Roll concert took place at IWS, 55,000 souls showed up and raised hell in the stadium and surrounding neighbourhoods, forcing the residents to register loud complaints and City Hall to say never again!

It was pointed out recently in the Spec and on the Bill Kelly Show, that a Country-Western concert (Tim McGraw and Faith Hill) would attract a crowd that would be less rowdy. It was also pointed out that the city profits from the rock concert was in the area of $2,000,000.

It was further suggested that the city would be wise to put up the $400,000 to bring the field up to safety standards and in all probability, still make a huge profit.

Due to the declining financial times right now, I don't think the city wants to take this risk.

IMO, this whole scenario adds even more fuel to the fire to build a new stadium at the first opportune moment. (A major event which Hamilton MUST lock up).

Lets hope, Hamilton has finally got the message.

About 15 years ago when a Rock and Roll concert took place at IWS, 55,000 souls showed up and raised hell in the stadium and surrounding neighbourhoods, forcing the residents to register loud complaints and City Hall to say never again!
15 years ago?!?! Geez, are you bending the laws of physics and posting from the year 1990?? I thought the legendary Floyd concert happened in 1975! You need to send an important message back... tell the 1990s Tiger-Cats to forget about Damon Allen and Matt Dunigan and go straight for McManus to begin with! :-P

I do not expect or even want Bob Young to be put into that sort of situation. He's done tons already. Let's not ask him to subsidize the Grey Cup too.

Very true indeed.

I grew up in Hamilton and while there it was my only impression of a big city. After years of traveling around the world i have come to realize that Hamilton and it's leaders have no vision. i just watched TSN's Top 10 hockey goals and three of them were at Copps Coliseum. As Gretsky and Lemieux celebrated evident in the background was the "Copps Coliseum" signs. Whats that worth? Not sure but if this town wants to play in the game they need to look past the small minded politics that are prevalent at the civic leader level.

This isn't about Bob Young making money, its about how the city of Hamilton wishes to be viewed by the world.

one day maybe....

Good post pepper but I didn't realize that the city of Hamilton, the people running the show here, knew there was any "world" out there you speak of, interesting. 8)

(I Love Hamilton) 15 years ago?!?! Geez, are you bending the laws of physics and posting from the year 1990?? I thought the legendary Floyd concert happened in 1975! You need to send an important message back... tell the 1990s Tiger-Cats to forget about Damon Allen and Matt Dunigan and go straight for McManus to begin with! Razz
Wow! Time certainly flies. I don't know where I got the idea that the Floyd concert was about 15 years ago and I stand corrected, however, further research shows that the last rock concert at IWS was "RUSH" in 1979, not 1975.

The balance of my post was accurate, as far as I know, and my point remains that with declining financial times right now and possibly for the next year and a half, I'm sure city council isn't even thinking about building a new stadium.

What they're likely thinking about right now, (IMO) among many other things, is whether or not, it is financially feasible that the money spent annually in increments in the millions of dollars to keep the IWS structure sound is worth while.

I agree too, that this shouldn't be Mr. Young's responsibility. The onus here should fall on the City of Hamilton to get it's ass in gear and plan for the future. This planning would involve keeping our ears open for events like the Commonwealth Games or whatever to insure that others will get on line with financial support.

I see no other solution to this problem during these dire financial times.

Take a good look at the city core. I buddie and I walked downtown Hamilton early last month and was surprised the Royal Connaught and numerous other buildings (Lister Block) are in shambles.

City Hall has been an absolute disaster for many years - sadly enough they could not arrange a two car parade. No new stadium for Hamilton unless serious changes to the downtown core is made.............

Armchair

Great efforts are currently bei9ng made to revitalize the downtown core. Among them is the Royal Connaught which has been purchased with a plan to turn it into one of our better downtown hotels.

Work is also afoot in several areas on James St.N and other areas including Ferguson Ave and King William Sts. are scheduled for updating.

Work has already begun on the McMaster facility on Longwood Rd. and other areas are slated for renewal which currently don't come to mind.

These projects, however don't cost the tax payers money as they are being sponsored by private enterprise.

It would be nice if private enterprise would sponsor a new stadium, but that isn't in the cards. We need a major event!