How Duane Forde helped Waggoner become Canadian

Interesting story today on the role TSN analyst Duane Forde played in getting DB Garrett Waggoner chosen in the supplemental draft as a ‘National’ player today by the Bombers.

[url=http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/5634241-like-grandfather-like-father-like-son/]http://www.thespec.com/sports-story/563 ... -like-son/[/url]
Garrett Waggoner is about to become a third-generation CFL player, following his father and grandfather into the league when he is selected in Wednesday's supplemental draft.

But it took the combined efforts of his mother, his agent, a TV broadcaster with intimate knowledge of the league’s Byzantine citizenship rules and Canada’s Minister of Sport to make it happen.

Waggoner’s Canadian roots can be traced back to his late grandfather, Hal, who played running back and defensive back for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for seven seasons starting in 1951, winning a Grey Cup in 1957. His father Scott grew up in Burlington, attended Nelson High School and earned a scholarship to the University of Florida before being drafted by the Ticats in 1982.

An ankle injury derailed Scott’s CFL career after just four games and he settled in Sarasota, Fla. with wife Holly — she’s a native of the sunshine state — with Hal living in nearby Fort Myers. Garrett was born in 1990 and followed his father and grandfather into football, eventually earning a scholarship to Dartmouth College, where he was all-Ivy League first team as a defensive back in his final two seasons.

His play drew the attention of the B.C. Lions, who put him on their negotiation list — a method by which CFL teams commonly lock down American players. He was getting ready to sign his first contract with the team last month when his mom received a message from TSN’s Duane Forde.

“I remember I was sitting on the couch and my mom said, ‘Garrett this CFL analyst just Tweeted me and said to follow him and ‘DM’ him. What’s a DM and how do I follow him?’” Waggoner said. “That was funny.”

Forde, who does colour commentary for CFL games and is the broadcaster’s resident draft expert, had been talking to a scout about Waggoner.

“He mentioned how much he liked this kid and that he was Hal Waggoner’s grandson. I recognized the grandfather’s name just from being around the CFL,” Forde said.

It also got Forde thinking. Could Waggoner possibly qualify as a national player, something that would dramatically increase his value to teams around the league?

Though Waggoner was born in the United States, he’s entitled to Canadian citizenship because his father Scott was born here, a practice commonly known as citizenship by first generation descent. In addition, the CFL changed its rules last year to consider any player with Canadian citizenship as a national.

So Waggoner showed his mom how to direct message Forde. Then he called his agent, Fred Weinrauch.

“I told him, ‘Duane Forde said I might be able to qualify for national status, does this mean anything?’” And he said, ‘Definitely, let’s look into it,’" Waggoner said.

Waggoner filled out a citizenship certificate and sent it to immigration officials with a request for urgent processing while Weinrauch emailed the Canadian Minister of Sport, Bal Gosal, to try and expedite the process. Gosal’s office replied to Weinrauch right away asking for Waggoner’s date of birth and courier tracking number so they could locate the documents.

“I thought why not take a shot and ask the minister to get it done,” Weinrauch explained. “I didn’t expect they would get back to me so fast.”

Less than a week later, a package arrived at Waggoner’s Florida home: he was officially a Canadian citizen.

“I can’t speak highly enough of the Canadian government to take time out of their busy days to look into a case like mine. It was something small to them, but it really meant the world to me and I’m appreciative of that,” Waggoner said.

The official documents were delivered to the CFL and Waggoner had his national status approved. He was then added to the CFL supplemental draft set for Wednesday, in which teams have the option of giving up a pick in next year’s CFL draft in exchange for the rights to an eligible player — in this case Waggoner and Central Michigan University defensive back Jarret Chapman. But they can be trumped by a team willing to part with a higher pick in next year’s draft.

Defensive tackle Ted Laurent and receivers Kito Poblah and Johnny Forzani are among the players who entered the CFL through the supplemental draft in recent years.

Over the last 10 days, 6-foot-1, 218 pound Waggoner has worked out for four different CFL teams, including one that flew him to Canada for an up-close look. He’s seen by some as a potential starter as a safety or weakside linebacker.

Waggoner will follow his dad’s footsteps entering the CFL via a foundation laid by grandfather, Hal: he may not have been born in Canada but his family’s history is here. Now his future is, too.

Which team picked up the other guy ?

He went undrafted. I would think someone will be signing him as a rookie FA.

Another aggresive and very good move by the Bombers.
He is the prototype S that come from an NCAA DI level school that CFL teams move to WillLB only he is a National.

Nothing is ever for sure. The fact that the Bombers used a 1st round pick for him after 7 other teams crack at him. The Bombers would have to out due any of their selection bids and Ottawa was still able to select him.

If anyone knows there stuff its Duane Forde. So all signs point to it was the right decision.

What does this mean? :?

He just means the Bombers had to outbid all the other teams for Waggoner by offering up a higher draft selection in exchange. The only team that could have beaten out Winnipeg to select him was Ottawa because they had the first overall pick this year. Clearly Ottawa wasn’t in the mix or wasn’t willing to put up a 1st rd pick. I’ve read that only 3 teams besides the Bombers were involved in the bidding process. Not sure who the other 3 were but I would assume BC was one of them since they had tried to put him on their neg list before he gained National status.

:thup:

Waggoner certainly was a hot commodity:

The Lions were one of four teams to offer a first-round 2016 pick for Waggoner, but lost him to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, who reaped the benefit of a higher waiver claim order from missing the playoffs last year.
[url=http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/05/20/lions-not-playing-safe-to-replace-safety/]http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/05/20 ... ce-safety/[/url]

I was going to ask the same question. Maybe the fact that he has a slow forty time of 4.9 made teams shy away from him. He has good size around 6’0 200 so maybe he will get a shot as a FA seeing he did start at CMU which is Div I.
Barker has said they look for someone to be at least a 4.8 guy to be able to play ST’s at his size. If he was 6’3 250 and ran a 4.9 we would be talking a different ball game.

TORONTO -- The Calgary Stampeders added defensive lineman Brandon Tett in Tuesday's Supplemental Draft, forfeiting a seventh round pick in 2016 for his draft rights.

Tett, a native of Vancouver, Wash., played his college ball at the University of Oregon and most recently spent time with the Portland Thunder of the Arena Football League. In 2014 he recorded 9.5 tackles and two sacks along with a fumble recovery in 12 games played.

How often do the league have one of these? Whenever the opportunity presents itself? :expressionless:

Pretty much thats how it works. Players applying for National/Canadian status have to fill out and get the proper paper work approved. If not done in time for the regular draft. A supplemental draft will follow for such players. Tetts paperwork was not complete by the first supplemental draft where the Bombers got a legit 1st round pick.
With the major change in National status i dont think some players even knew they had National Canadian status.
Tett is a new wave National with his mother being a Canadian Citizen so I am not even sure when he became aware of this.

His route to pro football is really crazy.
he played JC in Arizona for two seasons starting in 2006. All the coaches at Arizona Weslyn CC got fired and all of the teams game film was lost. leaving him and many teamates hung out to dry.
It to two years but he finally went to Oregon with Chip Kelly as a walk on. During that time off he worked out religously in the weight room while working construction.
Credits Kellys endurance regiment in practice to add speed, stamina to his strength he aquired in the weight room.
After 2010 he used up his 5 year clock for NCAA DI football.
He petitioned the NCAA for another year. Fearing he would not get it he transered to NCAA DII
Lost JC film, little PT at Oregon, and back to obscurity of DII football it took another 2 years before he got his pro shot.
In 2013 he went to an open tryout for the expansion Portland team, while living in Canada with his grandmother, for the spring 2014 season. here his game film was not lost
At some point he realized he was of Canadian National status while with AFL Portland this 2015 season.
Apparently he was very versatile for his size playing LB/DL/ and FB.
Huff siad he will finish out the rest of the AFL season. On top of all that Huff mentioned his interst in Tett as aLS as well as everything else.
Stamps used a 7th round pick on him. With the Stamps drafting last in 2015 draft, that means no other team showed interest in using even their 7th rnd pick for 2016. If the stamps did select him he would have been a FA

So it’s player-driven? that seems odd. I’m not questioning you, because this is the second one this year and its timing is bizarre otherwise, so that must be the case. Weird.

If I start a band, I’m going to call them New Wave National. :thup:

Digging a little deeper. Supplemental drafts can be held up to 60 days after the regular draft for players who did not get paperwork in place in time. After 60 days the player must wait until next years draft.