How do you think we're doing?

I’ve been mightily impressed with the moves that Mike McCarthy, Craig Smith and Marcel are making in keeping our core players and filling out a very strong supporting cast of great talent.

For the third year in a row we had a very successful Canadian draft. Signing Gagne-Marcoux from last year’s draft is just an example of the depth of Canadian talent we’ve been assembling.

This talent gives Charlie Taffe and his talented assistants...
Mike Working, Offensive Coordinator
Dennis Goldman, Receivers Coach
Jeff Bleamer, Offensive Line coach
Ed O'Neil, Defensive Coordinator
Mike Nelson, Defensive Line Coach
Gregg Butler, Defensive Backs Coach
(for more info on the depth of experience of this coaching team check: http://www.ticats.ca/index.php?module=s ... staffnum=1 )

...a great nucleous to build a very talented team around.
The last few seasons I’ve been very hopeful that we’d have a good year. This year these guys are demonstrating a professionalism that gives me a lot of confidence, not just hope.

The question is, do -you- think this team is going to surprise a lot of people this year?

Cheers, Bob.

Somewhat confident, after the last 2 years i would find it very hard to be anything more than that.

The good news is; it cant get worse and our Head Coach has a history of winning at all levels.

The coaching staff might be improved but the talent isn't. This is a receivers league and we don't have one that has proven himself as a pro, just a bunch of guys that have drifted around the pro ranks not doing much anywhere they've been. And it's not like we have Vince Lombardi as the head coach or even close to the same level of talent Taaffe had to work with in Montreal.

I see alot of things that indicate the
team will improve this year bob.
But the biggest question mark to me is
at quarterback. This seems to me a try
and see attitude on this subject.
We may get lucky here and MAAS will
redeem himself or we may struggle in
this area all year. Once the season
starts its hard to find new replacements
at that position.

What else are you gonna say bob !! If YOU didn't come off positive what would that tell your team??
I am still amazed that your new HC and your new GM traded, cut, released, almost your whole recieving core and are going with a crew that is untested in the CFL, a passing league. Yes bob this is the time of year to look forward to the coming season and begin that countdown to the first crack of the pads.
I can almost feel the game day experience at Ivor Wynn and the excitement of the crowd. Guess I'll have to wait until October to visit with my Ticat Friends even tho' I'll be wearing the colors of Sasketchewan I look forward to the visit.

I wrote about this in my Blog Today.
I have to agree with Crash Somewhat confident

We have 72 Players Coming to camp.
17 of Them are a WR or SB
I am little Worry about the lack of Wide outs with CFL Proven Experience.

Outside of Mike who do we have ?

Every good receiver in this league has been unproven when they start. There was not one good WR free agents to sign anyways. So what do you expect them to do other than a possible trade? The best thing now is to wait until a good WR gets cut from Calgary or Saskatchewan before, during or just after camp.

im predicting a 6 win season for the tabbies.

your best reciever is kwame cavil who would be the 2nd or 3rd best receiever on any other team. ( dont get me wrong, i like cavil )

and maas is a huge question mark.

I am still amazed that your new HC and your new GM traded, cut, released, almost your whole recieving core and are going with a crew that is untested in the CFL, a passing league.
I loved our receivers last year. They were genuinely great guys, but...

...as many others besides me pointed out last year - our receivers made our QB's, Maas included, look a lot worse than they were. Most of the time when our receiver went up against an opponents DB for a ball, it was their DB who won. We need receivers who can take the ball away from the DB when they both go up for it at the same time.

Charlie, Jeff and Dennis are committed to finding a receiving crew who can win more of the battles with the opponents DBs than they lose.

cheers, Bob.

Put me in the Somewhat Improved camp.

A 9 win season would be a bonus. Anything more a pleasant suprise…anything less, an utter disappointment again and the likely death knell of this franchise.

Maybe not the death knell, but for sure a return to me having more space in Box J.

It's a loaded question given the dismal team that played in Hamilton last year. I'd be very hard pressed to recall a team less competitive than the 2006 Cats and I've been a big CFL fan since the 60s. So, "much improved"? Well, of course they'll be much improved; they could hardly be worse. Put me down as moderately confident on this one.

Remember though that being much improved in the East may still not get you into the playoffs. The other three teams won't be dropping off any if at all from what I've seen and all three were a lot better than the Cats last season.

I attended 4 games at IWS in 2006--I'd just like them to be a little more entertaining. I will say this for your team Caretaker, Cats fans are the best.

An Argo-Cat fan

...as many others besides me pointed out last year - our receivers made our QB's, Maas included, look a lot worse than they were. Most of the time when our receiver went up against an opponents DB for a ball, it was their DB who won. We need receivers who can take the ball away from the DB when they both go up for it at the same time.
Gotta disagree with that one, i can think of many examples but one in particular where it was quite the opposite. DJ Flick had a Toronto DB beat for a TD that would have won a game in Toronto and Jason Maas threw up the biggest lame duck pass I have ever seen in the pro ranks. It literally cost us the game.

Many other examples where a guy like Kamau Peterson or Brock Ralph would have to STOP for jump balls that were terribly under thrown.

We didnt have the best group of guys... but better passes would have changed the complexion of the 2nd half of the season.

Since you asked ... I'm in the NOT CONFIDENT camp.

This ORGANIZATION has DONE NOTHING in the past 3 years to INSTILL any such confidence in the ON FIELD Product.

And to say "SOMEWHAT" Confident is PLAIN Wishy Washy ... (that's like being "KINDA PREGNANT" ...)

NO, Bob, you really need another option ... something like "CAUTIOUSLY OPTIMISTIC" ...

Granted, there have been some POSITIVE moves (ie Desjardins and Taaffe) BUT ... the game is PLAYED on the FIELD ... and with the kind of TURNOVER this team has experienced ... it would be VERY HARD to have ANY Confidence in a team I have YET to even see PRACTICE together.

Peace.

Gotta agree with "Crash" on this one...and additionally, the life seemed to get drained out of the receiving corps last year especially when word got out that Coach Maciocca of Edmonton (sp?) was calling our QB regularly on the phone behind our Ticats coaches backs and really messing him up in my opinion....this seemed to be when things really started to fall apart in the Ticat camp (not meaning training camp).....it's just a theory I had and my opinion only....

We had a tremendous (or pretty darn good) receiving corps last year who just lost confidence in the QB (and for damn good reasons in my opinion)......our QB seemed to get really de-railed for many reasons including when a few neanderthals in the stands started harrassing the hell out of him and others....(those idiots should have been removed pronto because I even took the time to go over there and see for myself what was going on.....it was appalling!).....but nonetheless, our QB clearly let it affect his on-field demeanor, performance and it so obviously had him rattled....the shouilder injury was also a huge factor as the receivers had to have known the deep routes were a stupid,useless plan because of his limitations at that time...and let's also not forget about the fact that it was common knowledge basically that all the coaches were being let go at the end of the season......this had to affect team morale....and solidarity

Now, as far as this year goes, I believe it can go either way.....it will be a real struggle to get the chemistry going with an entirely new coaching/football management staff and they will have to make a good impression very, very early in camp with their roster (tons of new players)....the first day almost

They are all great coaches in their own right and quality people but the connection between the players and them immediately will be critical for success......I believe it was a great move to bring back Morreale...... he and Hitch will be the connection between the new regime, new players etc. and the Hamilton football community/history at large (fans included)

A positive I do see is that with an entirely new coaching staff, they were forced to really bond with each other out of neccesity the past few months as they explored the City/surrounding area/Tiger-Cat history etc. together and all started out as 'newbies' equally.....this could play in our favour. (kind of one of those intangibles we hear about)

An "A"-plus for effort though Bob (in the response to the fan's call for change).....we as fans can only hope for the best because nothing is a guarantee in sports....Go Cats!

(The return of the gold pants will help too) :wink:

Happy Mothers Day to all the great mom's out there.

regards,

mike

The biggest positive is hiring Taaffe. He will not let Hamilton players give less than 100% effort.

I also really like the following "new Ticat" signings:
-Gagne-Marcoux
-Bauman
-Getzlaf
-Butler
-Chang
-McKay-Loescher
-Setta
-Moreno
-Jerome Davis
-Alston
-Caver

As a worried Argo fan I voted that the Ticats will be much improved.
I think Charlie Taffe is one of those coaches who wins where ever he goes.

...better passes would have changed the complexion of the 2nd half of the season.
I'm not arguing that Maas, Eakin, or Williams played well.

My point was the position of receiver was not one of the stronger ones on the 2006 team. Which is why Marcel felt it necessary to upgrade this position.

Charlie is known for his ability to get the best out of QBs. He does this by understanding the position and being able to build offenses that take advantage of the QBs strengths and avoid their weaknesses.

Whoever ends up being our QB this year will have a much better year than any of our QBs last year did, and an improved receiving corp will be just one part of the reason.

Hope springs eternal in the offseason. Especially in this organization. The Cats have been a great PR team the last few years, but what happened on the field? We got massacred. (What's our record the last 3 years? 18-35-1.)

We were far and away the worst team in the league last year, so why should anyone believe otherwise?

If you want optimism, let's see some wins first.

Charlie is known for his ability to get the best out of QBs.
Too bad Eakin isn't here then because I still maintain he was one of the best signings we have had in years and credit goes to CD and RK for that vision..........but he was so badly mis-managed that it was almost a waste of time and money.

If Coach Taffee could only have been in control at the time last year I'm sure things would have been soooooooo much different. Eakin is by far one of the purest talents I've ever seen and just oozes 'leader'. His future performances in NFLE and likely the NFL will show that I'm sure.

Your endorsement of Coach Taffee is refreshing Bob because the biggest downfall over the years in this franchise has always been the total ineptness at managing the QB position effectively.........in my opinion.

Here's to a new era of Tiger-Cat success!! 8)

bob It's easy to see that you were easily persuaded to follow the line of your new GM and HC good on you.
What I saw last year was a failure of a decent playbook and a failure of your QB's to get the ball down field. Now I'm much like you bob in the sense that I'm surely no football genious but I can see and I can tell when things are not being done. Your GM yaked about having taller receivers and yet how many have you signed that are over six foot and how many of them have CFL experience?? As to "Position" its damned hard to go down field for a deep pattern and have the ball thrown behind you and go thru the D back to get to the ball!!! Having patterns changed in the hudle like a pop warner game or sandlot happened much to frequently, however, on film it looked as if the receivers gave up on routes when in reality they were doing what they were told to do. You guy's played an injured QB with the chance of possibly ruining his career period. What justification do you have for that bob??!! Like I said earlier I'm no coach but it's easy to see who you people are making the fallguys for last years fiasco!!!
Best of luck & cheers
Steve