How do we spell the chant?

Let's just see how some of you spell that most famous of chants! I know it was spelled a certain way on the North dugout roof.... don't know if it's still there or not! Everyone just seems to have a different way of spelling it on this site!

So, just for fun, how do you prefer to see our beloved chant spelled?

Wow!....a creative thinker in our midst. I've never seen this question before on ticats.ca

I spell it:

Oskee Wee Wee

..here's another

regarding Paul Osbaldiston,

Is it Ozzy or Ozzie ?

8)

...or Ozzee?

MIkey Wow!....a creative thinker in our midst. I've never seen this question before on ticats.ca

I spell it:

Oskee Wee Wee

..here's another

regarding Paul Osbaldiston,

Is it Ozzy or Ozzie ?

Oskee Wee Wee is right Mikey. I wonder how many folks remember or ever knew that the next line is actually "Whisky Waa Waa".

I've seen Paul Osbaldiston's nick name spelled many ways and since its a nick name I'm not sure which version is correct.
The Hamilton Spectator has messed around with this one for several years.
Personally, I like Ozzie!

rocky123, you've forced me out of hiding.

The next line was not 'Whiskey Waa Waa'

At the risk of again being chastised by bob, herewith is the original chant, as it was in the 'good old days'

Oski Wa Wa
Whiskey Wee Wee
Holy Mackinaw
Tigers, Eat 'em raw!

I expect to hear again from the sceptics,who weren't there, or who refuse to believe that things actually change.

Never argue with Wilf. He KNOWS!

Bob made the point I think that the "modern" version has stuck long enough that reverting to the "old" one would in itself be a revisonist act, and we probably don't want to go to at this point, in the midst of controversies about logo and uniform changes.

BTW, when will the new Pigskin Pete be announced? As long as he is there in his bowler hat, and preferably in an antique Tigers sweater (and raccoon coat in cool weather) I'm ok with the modern cheer.

steve, thanks for the kind words.
Note that I appreciated bob's position. I just didn't agree with it.

You're right about Pigskin Pete. Surely, by now, there could be some info on who gets the position.

Hi Wilf!....snow melted up there yet?....lol

There was something mentioned in the Spec the other day about announcing PigSkin Pete....I gathered that they are working on it but there wasn't a mention of a firm announcement date....

..maybe they have to put them through agility testing like the 40 yard dash and such.....(which is why I never applied....lol)

....just kidding.....I'm hoping for Russ Jodway myself....I liked his presentation the best quite frankly. :cowboy: :lol:

I believe that things actually do change.

Having said that, my earliest memories are (from the early 1960's) that it was:

Oski Wee Wee
Whiski Waa Waa
Holy Makinaw
Tigers, Eat 'em raw!

I also remember hearing somewhere that the cheer originated with the old NHL Hamilton Tigers, so if true, it obviously goes back at least to the 1920's. I'm not sure how old Wilf is, but I'm betting his memories go back further than mine, so I'll defer to my elders.

Here is what the Spec said:

Provost said the club will have a new Pigskin Pete in place to replaced the retired Paul Weiler. But Provost said the new 'Pete' isn't expected to be announced until just before the season starts.

[url=ttp://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=hamilton/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1175231302655&call_pageid=1112274690688&col=1112274690756]ttp://www.hamiltonspectator.com/NASApp/ ... 2274690756[/url]

When Nintendo puts out a CFL game it'll be Oskii Wii Wii.

Ozzie. :wink:

Whereas Ozzy in his prime would bitten the head off the holder when kicking... :wink: :smiley:

Oski Wee Wee,

So...in answer to the poll.

None of the above.

Oski Wee Wee.

No.... that's just the Quebec version.

http://oskiouioui.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html

Oskee Wee Wee
Whiskey Wa Wa
Holy Mackinaw
Tigers, Eat 'Em Raw

However, Wikepedia states that the chant is American and it was copied by Vince Wirts who put his own words to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oski_Yell

Actually it was started by Joe bowen. If questioned he says he didnt copy from the cats,holy mackinaw was and always was his. what a dick

http://oskiouioui.blogspot.com/2004_08_01_archive.html

Oskee Wee Wee
Whiskey Wa Wa
Holy Mackinaw
Tigers, Eat 'Em Raw

However, Wikepedia states that the chant is American and it was copied by Vince Wirts who put his own words to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oski_Yell

Hey Mikem...
Let me tell you what I tell my students. "Use Wikipedia as a reference and you fail."

Since just about anybody can go on and write an article or change one it is unreliable as a main reference source. It's only good as a quick scan to see the range of things people may be discussing concerning a topic.

Perhaps one of our gang here with more time can go on-site and 'fix' the article. It wouold be interesting to see how many times the story bounces back and forth.

WOW Id like to thank you guys! Iv always thoguth it was Oskee Wee Wee Oskee Waa Waa
Heh! wow im ashamed! but now i Know and shall say it the "right way" unless ofcourse the right way is how ever you wana do it as long as ur cheering the black and gold :smiley: