How about ridding the CFL of Canadian player requirements?

Canadians on the team = good storylines, PR, and a posterboy to pedal to young Jays or Raps fans which in turn grows the sport more. Your argument is way off base concerning anything to do with the ratio rule in the CFL, because those teams are not required to sign Canadians, but yet they still do? Why? Because 1) They're talented and 2) You better believe talented Canadians are a selling point for any team in Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Joseph https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Martin

Obviously they don't have a full team of them, but to say they don't care is ridiculous, if they can find a talented guy who is from Canada, you better believe they care if he's on their team. The difference is being a Canadian is a bonus, not a requirement.

Once again I don't know what your argument was pertaining to the CFL, it's apples and oranges. I like the ratio rule for the CFL and I really don't expect it to ever disappear. Revised? Probably, but we will always see a certain number of Canadian starters on every team, it is a selling point for the league and offers a unique brand of football. I also agree that Canadian QBs never get a fair shake and I will never understand why when we watch a ton of Americans crash and burn all the time without watching even one Canadian crash and burn because they never get a chance. Canadian football has never been stronger, lets not do anything to kill it now when we have a good thing going with the CIS and a ton of guys heading down to the NCAA to play ball.

That is exactly what will happen the CFL will go the way of other leagues not the NFL. Exception of MLB, NBA, NFL, and NHL. Every other domestic league in every pro sport around the world has a limit of the number of internatinal players.
I still think the the recent raid of Canadian Talent into the NFL will eventually catch up with itself. In other words as some Canadian players head to the NFL and equal or more amount will be returning to the CFL.
I am not in favor of it but if they feel they need to lower the starting ratio from 7 to 6 and see where it leads that may be a possibility. With so many different offensive player package, defensive packages, and rotations. Canadian players even if they are not actually starting are seeing regular quality time on both offense or defense.
O TE/FB Double TE sets are becoming more and more common which gets Canadian players in on regular packages.
D Dline rotations often see at least 2 of the 6 3 DTs 3 DEs being Canadian.
extra S are brought in for different pass packages usually a Canadian who doubles as a teams player.
Usually the last 4-5 players on the National Roster are actually Special Teams starters. Usually getting the minimum. Similar to why we see so many low and undrafted rookie FAs make NFL rosters. You need lower paid players to fit into the salary cap.

CFL needs more Canadians, not fewer. Should move over 3 years up to 10 Non-imports (hate the term nationals) are required starters, as was the case befoe the US teams folded. This was the plan announced at that time but it was not implemented.

NO !!! Are you suggesting to take the C out of the CFL?

Coaches quota would be a better idea… If you had to have 75 percent Canadian coaches on your roster, but only 50percent if the head coach was Canadian. It would do wonders for the league… Mark Trestman admitted to running an NFL offence because the CFL offensive was too complicated… How ridiculous is that? That is why the last few years have been so boring… These American coaches are Bella conservative and we get boring American football… Lower the salary for coaches too, to stop American coaches from coming over. I wonder if Jeff Tedford regrets his decision yet with A 78 cent dollar now? Get morons like Tedford out of the game… Lully runs for over 100 yards but is a ticking time bomb with a slipping shoulder… Just ridiculous

Coaches quota would be a better idea… If you had to have 75 percent Canadian coaches on your roster, but only 50percent if the head coach was Canadian. It would do wonders for the league… Mark Trestman admitted to running an NFL offence because the CFL offensive was too complicated… How ridiculous is that? That is why the last few years have been so boring… These American coaches are Bella conservative and we get boring American football… Lower the salary for coaches too, to stop American coaches from coming over. I wonder if Jeff Tedford regrets his decision yet with A 78 cent dollar now? Get morons like Tedford out of the game… Lully runs for over 100 yards but is a ticking time bomb with a slipping shoulder… Just ridiculous

Why is Tedford a moron?
What does Travis Lulay's injury history have to do with the import ratio?

Consider the source.

:lol: :lol: Jack, you're dredging up names that I had done my best to forget (LeFors, Banks, and Ware). Let me add a few more: Tavares Bolden, Quincy Carter, Zach Champion, Cody Pickett, Ricky Santos, Rocky Butler, Tee Martin...

We do not have the talent for every team to field 10 national starters. In fact, expansion has diluted the talent we have available. Let's not give Americans an excuse to mock us by dressing Canadians purely to meet ratio requirements. Reduce the ratio to 6 so every team can field excellent Canadian players who are on par with their American counterparts talent-wise and who would be playing even if there were no ratio, assuming no bias on the part of American coaches. Coaching is where we need more Canadians IMO. The more Canadian coaches (and eventually GMs) are in the league, the less discrimination Canadian players (QBs in particular) will face.

Honestly... I just want the best players playing and best coaches coaching. I couldn't care less about nationality, we're all human beings lol. Reduce the Canadian starters to 6 and be done with it, maybe give an incentive to have a Canadian starting QB that would give you the bonus to reduce your Canadian starters to 5 if he starts. This discussion is silly and pointless IMO.

Add two players to the roster.
A Canadian QB or K w/ratio.
An import.
Everybody almost happy.

Your are right, reduce the Canadian starters to 6. In fact don't make it compulsory to reduce the starters to 6 just give the options to teams if they want to reduce the Canadian starters.
A lot of people forget that we actually increased the number of Canadians last year when Ottawa came into the league.
As for coaches, you go after the best people available, if they have CFL coaching experience that may be a bonus but I don't we have some good coaches in the league.
There was no evidence when we had Canadian coaches that they gave priority to Canadian players. Or now evidence that US coaches give priority to US players, coaches work with the talent they have. It's the managers job and head of player personnel who juggle the ratio.
Buono or Cal Murphy were good Canadian coaches and we have Rick Campbell in Ottawa.

No way we want to reduce the number of Canadian starters. In fact they should be increased. If teams were required to start a minimum of 4 Canadians on defence...just watch the offensive production increase! It'd be just like the good old days...when CFL teams routinely started 4 or 5 Canadians on defence and offences flourished.

Some teams now start 11 Americans on defence with a 4 more designated imports available to give them a breather...that's the real reason why CFL offences were suffering, with many teams "hiding" 5 or 6 Canadians on offence.

Canadian players are essential for the CFL. Without them and we would no longer have a league...or a sport. Canadian football would cease to exist. Virtually every sports league in the world restricts the number of imports on each team...including the English 1st Div, Japanese baseball and virtually every pro soccer league on the planet.

The reality is the money making machine that is the NFL is causing the CFL to react.
expanding to 32 teams a bit over a decade ago.
Expanding rosters to 53
PRs replacing NFLE
Expanding PRs from 8 to 10 players per team.
TCs are now 90 players.

During this time the CFL had put in a low SMS to get the league stable.
expanding to 9 teams.
NCAA was already onto fully recruiting HS players out of Canada.
Now the NFL is fully scouting the CIS.

Now the NFL is plucking the top potential CIS players, mostly Olineman, and at least keeping them around on a PR where they make more than they would in the CFL.
Now even players they whiffed on from the CIS the first time round. they are grabbing after their rookie CFL contracts are up. Brett Jones, Ben Heenan, and Henoc Muamba.

If they feel the balance is off really that bad. Lowering the starting ratio from 7 to 6 may be something to look into.

Remember though as new Canadians are going to the NFL many there are playing out their options and returning to or coming to the CFL.
As well with the national rule stating that you only need to be a Canadian Citizen there is going to be more and more found Canadian Nationals.
Especially with so many imports over the years living in Canada while playing in the CFL. Having their kids born in Canada or marrying a Canadian citizen. There will be more and more legacy players whose fathers were American but their kids have dual citizenship.

the rosters should stay the same even if the number of starters may be altered. With the explosion of football players in Quebec their are more and more Canadian football players. Who are good enough to main a dline rotation, be a special package players, star as a teams player. even if they are not considered “starters”

You cant tke the “C” out of Canadian football.

I'd say that if the number of starters is altered (or even if it isn't) the rosters should increase the number of nationals they carry. With more nationals getting pro-level training, the easier it would be for teams to replace injured national starters. And it would make another expansion draft (if one ever happens) easier to recover from.

I'm for whatever makes the game more exciting. With ticket prices being as high as they are I would like to see the best possible talent level play. I would never like to see the ratio thrown out but there are some players who are on the field only because "where they are born" not because of their skill level.

^^^Ridiculous. There are more talented Canadians coming out of CIS and NCAA than ever before. Adding nine Canadian starters league wide per year for three years would not be overly burdensome for coaching staffs.

I've mentioned on the Argofans forum a few times that of the 7 starters, the league should mandate minimum of 3 on either side of the ball.

I would be for that as well. Just like the number of National Starters it would be something that needs to be studied. Not done on a whim because of some recent circumstances they have altered the numbers.
Thats why I am not really for dropping the starter ratio to 6 from 7. Without first seeing if the number of starting calibre Nationals will be replenished shortly. Once the NFL is through with the Canadian players, like any other, after rookie contract/PR eligibilty runs out.