Horrific scenes

Last week 2 angular leg fractures, Anthony Calvillos dislocated finger but the most grotesque of all was watching Bryan Hall singing the Eskimo fight song.

Oh the humanity!

LOL

+1

ROFL that was excruciating.

:lol:

Even more excruciating is trying to make out what's happening in a game listening to him.

I have to agree. It's really hard to follow him on the radio. I think he forgets what he's doing sometimes and neglects important details, such as what is actually happening on the field.

Describing the play is secondary to all the gratuitice plugs on every play. I swear one of these days we'll here him say something like this injury was brought to you by Eat at Joes.

at the game he was reading the fight song, how does he not know the song????

Yeah I noticed that as well.

That song is ancient and has been around even longer than Hall has, but lets face it, it's not the kind of song people easily remember the words to.

...it's not a MacBeth soliloquay for crying out loud...

WE’RE CHEERING FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT ON ESKIMOS
WE’RE MARCHING RIGHT, RIGHT, RIGHT ON ESKIMOS
WE’RE CHARGING DOWN THE FIELD FOR ALL TO SEE
AND SHOUTING RAH, RAH, RAH, FIGHT ON TO VICTORY
WE’RE FIGHTING ON ‘TIL EVERY GAME IS WON
THE GREEN AND GOLD IS BOLD AND WHEN WE’RE DONE
WE’LL TELL THE WORLD WE’RE PROUD OF EDMONTON
AND THE EDMONTON ESKIMOS.

I moved out of Edmonton in 1981 an I still remember the words. Good job RedandWhite.

Besides that they show the words on the Jumbotron if memory serves me correctly. Maybe that explains why Hall can't do the play-by-play. He couldn't see the scoreboard and he can't see the field, he calls it by sense of smell.

I wonder if you would remember the words EXACTLY if they weren't printed right in front of you. I doubt it. Hall has broadcast every single Eskies game for decades and even he had to use a cheat sheet. Why? Because the complete words were forgettable when the song was introduced in the mid sixties (or so) and they're still forgettable today. Sure people remember the first couple lines or so, but not every single word.

I remember the tune very well. I also remember the very day it was introduced in downtown Edmonton. The words? Fuggetaboutit.

By the way, our very own Ron Estes gets credit for helping to find this dandy collection of CFL fight songs:

http://www.argonotes.com/CFLSongs/

Having the words in front of him is really not such a terrible thing. Unlike the 30000-or-so other people singing the song, he is, if I understand correctly, singing it on the radio. If you're in the stands and you bugger up the words, few people know and even fewer care. But if you're on the radio and you bugger up the words, people will be calling the Eskimo front office and demanding that you be fired.

You obviously have never heard Bryan Hall call a game. Doing play-by-play on radio should paint a mental picture of the action for the listener, Bryan is an abstract painter. He can rattle on about a play forever and not say what has happened but still get 3 commercial plugs in during the diatribe. Trust me people are constantly calling for him to be replaced. On the Eskimo fan site www.esksfans.com they have a yearly thread calling for his removal.

Not living in Edmonton, no, I have never heard him call a game. I've only been to Edmonton once, and during the game, I was at Commonwealth Stadium cheering my Ticats to victory!

It's true about Hall. And he's always been like that. I swear he's losing it. I think they keep him on out of sympathy more than anything else.

Tune into his broadcast someday and you'll see what we mean.

I remember his phone in show years ago - he used get so irate it was hilarious.

Speaking of radio announcers, is that Ron Lancaster doing the Ti-Cat game? He's great! He actually explains things I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Yup! Ron Lancaster is the new commentator for Ticat games on CHML. I learned a lot about the CFL from him when he was on CBC with the late Don Wittman.