Hope for "Tailgating" in the future?

Maybe looser restrictions on tailgating in the cards. Not sure if would be covered by the intentions in this article from the Sun or not, but we can hope;

[url=http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2011/02/23/17376751.html]http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoa ... 76751.html[/url]

I think it still only refers to licensed, insured, fire inspected and regulated premises .

It wouldn't mean that Scott Park is in any way legal. (which it is not)......the cops just turn a blind eye until there is a complaint or really dumb behaviour.........they do the same at adult slo-pitch diamonds, outdoor picnics at Confederation Park etc. ie: we won't bust you if you use your noodle about it :wink:

deerhunter, I think you are probably correct about it being licensed events they are looking at. One example another article mentioned was being able to walk around at something like the Festival of Friends, Toronto Indy etc., with a purchased beer rather than having to sit in a designated area. But who knows, once the ball gets rolling more and more exemptions might be included.

Many of us can remember our parents not being able to drink a beer infront of the house or while washing the car in the driveway. Oh no, had to be in the backyard where no one can see you! So, things can change, just have to wait and see what happens.

I totally agree with you that in a lot of settings, the rules could be loosened up. For instance, I like going to the Grand River to fish and I see no harm in anyone bringing a few beers, coolers or whatever if they are discreet about it and quiet.

By the way, be careful about drinking while washing a car.....I was working on a newspaper story last year and did an OPP Ride-Along as part of my research .....killing some time between traffic stops, I grilled the officer about common myths about policing. He explained that there is a speed limit even on private property such as a farm.....and it is illegal to be in the care and control of a vehicle when over the limit......even in your own driveway ! (meaning, keys in the ignition while you are working on it.....or washing it). Also, police do not need an excuse to pull you over in spite of what the myth is. They can call it an equipment check if they so wish.

Sorry for drifting a bit (no pun intended)..... 8)

Does anyone know what L.C.B.O. stands for? Liquor CONTROL Board of Ontario. A few decades ago your local LCBO looked very different than today's version. It was more like a bank. You had to fill out a slip requesting your alcoholic purchase, give it to an employee who was literally behind bars, and they'd go get your bottle which was then placed in a brown paper bag to conceal the contents. If the LCBO employee thought you weren't a good guy he/she could refuse to sell you alcohol no questions asked. To this day it is still illegal to bring a bottle of wine across provincial borders.

Compare this approach to Quebec where you can buy beer at the corner store (on sale even) Manitoba where the drive-through is common, or Alberta where the free market makes wine cheaper and greater variety.

Compare this to England where I was last summer for a few days. I was mildly shocked when I saw people sitting in the park indiscreetly drinking beer. One guy even a whole case of beer with him. I don't know the exact liquor laws of the UK, but I'm pretty sure that you're allowed to walk around in public with open containers of alcohol without needing to be in tent for an event or at a licensed establishment. I imagine there are some restrictions that prohibit people from acting like idiots because of excessive drunkenness, but nothing nearly as restrictive as here.

Ockham, I remember the order chits, 64 A,B,C was the Canadian Clubs. Getting your Christmas booze was an adventure for sure. On the topic of liquor laws changing, years ago I was in Georgia and there was no booze at all on a Sunday. Was in Savannah last year, in a bar on Sunday, ordered a beer and they asked me if I wanted it for there or to take out. Poured it in a cup and we walked the streets of the old city sipping on a cold one. So yes things can change. Now, back to hopes for tailgating with gusto.

**deerhunter, tks, that's another excuse for the wife to wash the car now.

lol@Matelot......good thinking ! :lol:

......here's another oddity about purchasing booze to add to the rest of the stories.
My brother went to work in Japan for awhile in the early 90's and he said you can buy booze out of vending machines on the streets.....

and here in Florida you can buy beer and liquor at any WalMart, WinnDixie anywhere and it's sold by someone making minimum wage. I'm buying "IceHouse" 5.5% alcohol, which is stronger than Canadian beer - 18 pack for $9.99 = 36 for $20
The Fosters here is 5.5% alcohol but only 4% at home? is the government telling our beer makers to reduce the alcohol content in Onatario?
And do you know how much 36 cans of beer would cost you at the Beer Store in Ontario? over $50

Yet there is no evidence that selling cheap beer in the US has produced more drunks or that there is more drunk driving.

ahh the price of Government Control

Well it's Ontario, still has the older laws related to some aspect of the Puritans protestant sect that ruled the roost for so long, I think it was.

A history major could correct me, but I don't think that the Puritans were ever that influential here, if they had any influence at all. As far as I understand, they were concentrated mainly in New England. Perhaps a few moved to Canada after the revolution, but not enough to be a force.

Then again, the same can be said for hand guns.

Beer and guns...easily accessible...what could possibly go wrong?

Speaking as a dean in a theological institution, PiCat receives an "A". Oh, by the way, on some things the Puritans were very interesting people. They even produced sex manuals. They were for use in marriage only, and they referenced the Biblical "Song of Solomon" or "Song of Songs" but they were intense.

Interesting blog. http://gratefultothedead.wordpress.com/ ... love-song/

Earl would have made a better point if he used "Puritan-like" to describe the LCBO of days gone by.

True enough, that's what I was getting at more or less. I am certainly no historian or theologian. Puritanical liquor laws is more accurate I'm sure, no question.

http://www.hitnerwine.com/interestingliquorlaws.htm [url=http://freedomnation.blogspot.com/2010/12/why-are-ontario-liquor-laws-so.html]http://freedomnation.blogspot.com/2010/ ... ws-so.html[/url]

Oddly enough, it’s possible to have privately run liquor and beer stores in Ontario. (although rare)

One such example is the outlet in Binbrook.

Now, the only problem with private franchises is that they tend to only carry the most popular brands, whereas, the LCBO and The Beer Store carry a vast variety of selections almost unequaled in the world.

I am only a light social drinker so I’m fine the way things are in Ontario if they stay the same. If the rules change a bit, but still promote responsibility, I’m OK with that too. 8)

Just a little something to add to this discussion, that some of you may not know about. They sell beer and liquor in corner stores in small rural towns in Ontario that can't support a full LCBO outlet. I pick up Bud Light before my recreational hockey games at the Mac's Milk in Thamesford, a small town located between Woodstock and London. Interestingly enough, it's self serve, so I'm in and out quickly, and they always have a good variety of beer in stock. This is more than I can say for the Beer Store in Ingersoll.

The LCBO still controls the prices in the store, but I'm not sure how the money that is collect works. I don't know why this is not more common in larger markets as it really just provides more convenience. Beer and wine are sold quite commonly in grocery stores throughout the US. It's just considered another grocery item to Americans.

I remember taking a trip to Texas on work back in the early '90s. At that time, you could carry open alcohol anywhere (well except dry counties), and in fact it was not even illegal to be drinking in the car (driver included). I still remember going on a road trip to see a Texas Rangers baseball game. I walked right through the turnstiles with an open beer, no questions asked. I suspect things have changed a little bit since them, but there is probably still a little more freedom when it comes to alcohol in the US.

PJ

I go to Dunchurch (outside of Parry Sound) where they have a private beer and liquor trailer which saves local cottagers from going 25 miles into "The Sound"