honoring cfl records

Is it just me, or is the CFL dropping the marketing ball by having no plans to in some way formally acknowledge Milt Stegall if he breaks the touchdown record tonight?

I forget where, but I read somewhere that Stegall himself doesn't want the game stopped for a presentation.

If the guy actually breaking the record would rather continue the game, then IMO the league should respect that.

I think it would be better to have a big presentation for him prior to, or at half time of his next home game after breaking the record, rather than interrupting a game

i think thats a good idea to, because of what you said, and also if he breaks it at an away game, the bomber fans could have that experience if they presented him with something at a home game.

Where do you go for CFL records and historical stats. I cant find them at CFL.CA

I find them very easy at NFL.com, and even though I do not follow baseball and basketball and never been to mlb.com and nba.com before, I found them pretty quick there. MLB.com has really good set up for it.

Only other place I could not find them was NHL.COM.

NO big surprise that they dont seem to be here, even though they have the best brand of football, CFL administration has always sucked. Even if they are there somewhere, its not nearly obvious enough

Personally, I don't like the big celebrations that stop the game for 10 or 15 minutes.
Sounds like Stegall doesn't like it either.
It would be nice if the league were flying George and Mike to each game, have them sit together, and maybe do some photo ops after the game.
And a halftime ceremony by the Bombers might be good the NEXT home game, with George and Mike.

From what I've heard it sounds like they've got a career highlight video that they will play on the scoreboard when the record is broken, whether it's at home or away, before resuming play. (Hope it's in Hamilton; the video deserves to be shown on a good screen. :wink:)

Having the presentation prior to the next home game allows them to fly people in, and make some real plans for it. The fact is we don't know when the record will be broken. They can't fly Pringle and Reed and Stegall's family and high school coach in to every Bomber game, and have them and the commissioner on the sidelines for every game until it happens. Sure it's likely to happen sooner rather than later, but who knows? Better to have a good presentation with proper planning than a half-ass one right after the catch.

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but here's Stegall's comments today:

Interestingly, the CFL and the Bombers have decided to not have an in-game ceremony tonight if Stegall hauls in the history-making pass. If it happens this evening, he will be feted before next week's home game against Edmonton.

"That's how it should be," Stegall said. "... We don't need any distractions. The stoppage would be more for the fans. I would understand if they did, but since they're not stopping it I think it's a good thing.

[url=http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/Winnipeg/2007/07/05/4315086-sun.html]http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/CFL/ ... 6-sun.html[/url]

I don't think its a bad idea, really. People were critical when the league did stop play for Damon Allen, and for Mike Pringle. People are critical when they don't stop play for Milt Stegall.

Can't please everyone.

He will be playing in front of his home fans, and I am sure he is garaunteed a standing ovation if he gets the record.

^ I think that's pretty much guaranteed.

And I agree with BigDave. If he breaks it tonight, which he probably will, I think they should put a real celebrations together for the next home game. No need to rush it, and no need to stop the game.