Holy offence, Batman!

I think the biggest surprise about the last two games is the offence finally managed to put points on the board. For the first 11 weeks the offence had kind of fallen apart (no surprise considering the OC sucks, the O-Line sucks, Campbell sucks) and was averaging about 18 ppg. The funny thing is I noticed Campbell has been absent from the stats sheet the last two weeks. Did something happen to him, or has the offence made a decision to just cut him out since he sucks? :lol:

I think Campbell has a bad ankle , We really don’t miss him though Barns is doing a better job right now , maybe the coaching staff is finally realizing what a cancer this guy is on the team and cut him loose.
What a change, when last year we would have given up anything to get him .

That's what I was thinking. He goes MIA or whatever, and suddenly the offence starts moving the ball. Personally, I hope Tillman trades him or just cuts him.

I hope our DB's didn't get in your way too much tonight, we told them before they left to make sure they don't get within 20 yards of a receiver because that would be mean to the Esk's.And you never know when you'll bruise a finger trying to knock a ball down so better avoid that also...

Good game Esk's :thup:

P.S. I thought you might enjoy this in game shot of Bo Smith

http://www.martialarttrainingdummies.com/images/red-grappling-dummy.jpg

I hope our DB's didn't get in your way too much tonight, we told them before they left to make sure they don't get within 20 yards of a receiver because that would be mean to the Esk's.And you never know when you'll bruise a finger trying to knock a ball down so better avoid that also...

Good game Esk's :thup:

P.S. I thought you might enjoy this in game shot of Bo Smith

http://www.martialarttrainingdummies.com/images/red-grappling-dummy.jpg

Gotta give them credit, this was as good a complete game as the Esks have played. I kinda like the accountability chart thing, I appreciate Strasser’s effort. The O-line did a darn good job against a real tough front 4. I wonder what happened to Brad Lester? Was his goal line fumble last week the one and only chance( if so Arkee shouldn’t have got a 2nd look)?

To be honest, I don't know why we brought in Lester when we have McCarty. He's proven that he can step up when he has to.

I mentioned in the game thread (not for the first time) that once Whitlock gets back, I'd like to see Edmonton use a more balanced running attack like Calgary. Cornish has 60 carries so far. McCarty has 45, but he's started the last two games. Before the last two games he only had 20 carries. The Esks need to use him more. The Stamps have a great running game with Reynolds and Cornish. The Colts also did it in 2006 with Dominic Rhodes and Joseph Addai, and it worked incredibly well. The Colts won the Super Bowl that year.

1. No surprise that KC wasn't playing (he's been resting the wonky ankle that he was playing on only because Stamps wasn't back) ... that was announced a while back. Still, found it refreshing to compare having 'only' KC vs 'only' Stamps... what a difference it is to have a legit clutch receiver. When KC comes back it should cause more problems for opposing DBs that's for sure.

2. Totally agree that Barnes has stepped up his game. I think he's one of the guys who realized he's likely to be on the bubble and needs to be playing for his future (whether that's with the Esks or not).

3. I know that Sean Mac is going to come after this, but here goes anyways... So THAT'S what happens when you have an OLine that blocks!! Imagine that, Strasser's game plan suddenly doesn't seem so bad, the plays end up getting run closer to the way they're drawn up, and RR has time to get the ball to the right spot for his receivers. The OLine still had problems, but they made some massive strides. The tinkering with personnel (McGrath and Armstrong don't seem so needed, do they?) and the vastly improved coaching (Prinsen needs to get a lot of the credit for the improvement) has started to pay dividends.

4. Sean Mac, not sure what you mean by 'shouldn't Arkee have gotten a second look'... he's on the 9 game IR with a legit injury.
    edit-- NM... I re-read your post and I get what you're saying. See point 5. :thup:

5. Lester and Porter are basically competing to be CMC's running mate while AW is out. The Esks will keep them both until the end of the season with one being an 'insurance policy' in case of injury. (Or until they decide to bring in someone new altogether who they may want to look at before next TC.)

6. For all the praise I'm wondering where the Criticism of the D is? I for one was frustrated and appalled at how soft the D was. Not to take anything away from the 'Cats, but on far too many occasions the D folded up like a cheap lawn chair.

7. Tristan Jackson needs to be made to watch his blunders over and over again. He had a terrible outing.

Bottom line... what nearly lost the game for the Esks was not a flawed Offensive game plan or poor O execution, but rather a D that bent AND broke too often, and mental errors on STs.

Ah. Twisted his ankle jumping off the team wagon, did he?

No I'm not, for what it's worth I never even disagreed that the O-line has been awful (check many of my previous posts) My point has been that the OC did nothing to change the offense to at least help with that: half roll out or slide protection or quick crossing routes behind the LB's (which we finally attempted and successfully!!!) etc,etc.

Chief, I agree on McCarty as well, he just doesn't seem to impress the coach's for some reason. I even kinda liked the looks of Pascal Fils- another Canadian who it appears ain't gonna get a shot.

I'm not denying anything! :lol:

Noted. Though you seemed to think that I was rather daft for mentioning the OLine woes as often as I did. This past game, the OLine plays markedly better and suddenly the play calls work. I don't think that there were that many (if any) "new" plays designed for the Cats, I just think that with the OLine doing what they're supposed to do suddenly neither the play calls nor RR's play looked so bad. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Quick crossing routes were negated by a) missing a clutch receiver in Stamps who makes a living off of those and b) poor pass blocking that didn't give RR a lane to throw.
Roll Outs were negated by a) consistent pressure coming off the edge and b) the fact that RR isn't a roll-out QB.

Here's another thing. Did we see any QB flip-flopping this game? Even on short yardage RR stayed in. No Zab. That in itself was a very big message that can't be underestimated.

All in all, I'd bet that you and I have far less to disagree about... except for presentation. Which only counts in the Artistic portion of the competition! :wink:

Not at all (apparently we seem to misinterpret eachother alot) O-line has been awful and the biggest reason we lose, in my opinion Strasser is a big reason we lose badly. Iknow the Defense ain't good either but I always played/coached Offense so I have no good opinions on how to fix that.

:thup: