Hockey Canada settles Sexual Assault case against Canadian Junior Hockey players

As expected this story has been gaining legs the last few days. Players are falling all over themselves to say they weren’t involved. Even the police are investigating themselves for how they handled it. A series of text messages have been released and published. Much to follow and much will happen yet before this sad saga is over.

(Hockey Canada had abuse claim reserve fund: court documents Hockey Canada had abuse claim reserve fund: court documents - TSN.ca)

(London police announce internal review of 2018 investigation London, Ont. police announce internal review of 2018 investigation - TSN.ca)

3 Likes

This is the story of the emails/texts/videos available of the incident. One unnamed player is pressuring the victim not to pursue charges and to tell the police that everything was consensual. As TSN says, content warning.

(Lawyers for players linked to alleged sexual assault to give NHL videos, text messages Lawyers for players linked to alleged sexual assault to give NHL videos, text messages - TSN.ca)

Edit: For those unaware there have been more allegations made and another investigation started, this time against the 2003 junior team. It’s ugly.

(Sexual assault allegations related to 2003 World Junior team under investigation Sexual assault allegations 2003 World Juniors team - TSN.ca)

2 Likes

Sadly - it sounds like these guys have been coached on how to avoid trouble when they do this stuff.

That sounds worse to me than all but the alleged assaults.

2 Likes

The latest update in this far from over gruesome saga.

(Hockey Canada releases plan to combat 'toxic' culture ahead of parliamentary hearings https://www.tsn.ca/1.1829123.1658765836)

Little more than lip service and fluff here from Hockey Canada it would appear.

My real questions here are not just with Hockey Canada but the Junior Hockey Leagues these guys play for.
If all this happens in the couple weeks a month they are under Hockey Canada's umbrella - whats going on in the months these guys are travelling and playing with their teams??

2 Likes

Good point. I am sure this is just the tip of the iceberg. A bunch of misogynistic entitled young men. I think, however, we’ll eventually see some heads roll. Perhaps even jail. Perhaps careers ended or at least lengthy suspensions of current players, a year or more. This is far worse than anything Deshaun Watson did and Hockey Canada’s complicity is far worse than that of the Texans.

2 Likes

The one thing I really hope is that this doesn’t affect the women’s programs. It would be a shame if that happened.

2 Likes

You would think that it shouldn’t. That would be adding insult to injury.

1 Like

Hockey Canada has disclosed how much they have paid out for sexual assault claims, with the 2018 number included virtually certain to be over $8 million. They have supposedly implemented new policies starting in September, but many today are calling for a change in leadership and do not want the old guard in charge of those policies. Makes sense to me. I’m not sure why they don’t step down.

(Hockey Canada says $7.6M paid out in settlements, not including 2018 figure Hockey Canada says $7.6M paid out in settlements, not including 2018 figure - TSN.ca)

2 Likes

$7.6M+++ paid out in settlement from parents funding little Johnnie and Judy to play minor hockey! :roll_eyes:

https://twitter.com/chrisoldcorn/status/1552395652088430593

As stated before - What about the CHL?

These guys are a Renny said in the beginning "rent a players" for a month or so a season.

The CHL needs looking at too apparently as these kids spend far longer playing under their umbrella than under Hockey Canada's........

1 Like

Very true. One of the articles stated that all of the allegations happened while they were under Hockey Canada’s watch after their CHL affiliation was over for the year. It would be hard to believe that nothing similar ever happened while the players were under the CHL umbrella, although it is the elite players that eventually fall under Hockey Canada jurisdiction and perhaps they feel more entitled because of their elevated status.

Sure would. They had to learn that stuff somewhere…

1 Like

An absolute disgrace.
Everyone involved in their leadership group needs to go

3 Likes

The only way the leadership goes is through defunding Hockey Canada or financially boycott the organization because the head man, Smith refuses to step down for the good or the Sport

1 Like

So far, but you gotta think there will be enough pressure on him and the rest of the honchos so that they will have to go. I think they will insist on it in order to reinstate funding if they need to. They should do the right thing and go voluntarily. They are guilty in the court of public opinion for allowing this disgraceful mess to happen on their watch and that should be enough.

1 Like

Smith is doubling down because HC doesn’t have a suitable replacement for Smith. I bet Smith is reciting Jack Nicholson’s line from “A Few Good Men”. The “You need me on that wall” speech

He can’t handle the truth.

2 Likes

Goes to show just how out of touch he is. I read he was saying how he wanted to stay on to help change course for Hockey Canada. Idiot, You already had that chance, and completely blew it!

But he’s just prolonging the inevitable. Sport Canada is withholding their funding and several sponsors including Scotia Bank amount others are “pausing” their sponsorship. The money will start talking now that the organization’s crown jewel event is drawing near.

This just goes to show just how truly out of touch with reality this guy really is

1 Like

SHIT Can the bunch of them!
The guy says he wants the opportunity to fix what he and the lot of them are fully responsible for, NO FREAKING WAY!!

2 Likes