Hockey Canada settles Sexual Assault case against Canadian Junior Hockey players

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6467658H

Looks like Hockey Canada settled a lawsuit alleging members of the 2018 World Junior hockey players sexually assaulted a woman.

Not surprised unfortunately

The heads of Hockey Canada should resign. Whatever moneys it makes should go to grassroot levels, not give settlement money to put out fires done by delinquents

3 Likes

I don’t know if it’s just my phone but your link doesn’t work for me so I’ll post a different one in case that is the same for others.

[Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving World Junior players Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving World Junior players - TSN.ca](Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving World Junior players Hockey Canada, CHL settle lawsuit over alleged sexual assault involving World Junior players - TSN.ca)

One part of the story that caught my eye is that it appears that some of the junior players involved are now in the NHL. The league says they found out about this two days ago (hard to believe). They will now investigate. Expect sanctions against current players at some point. This story is far from over.

3 Likes

Even worse, in the middle of the assault trial a hockey game broke out.

1 Like

Usually I appreciate your levity but this - is no laughing matter.

I have PTSD and it is a horrible thing to be attacked by your own mind day and night. Nightmares (not bad dreams - full on soul disturbing, wake up soaked to the skin in sweat no more sleep that night nightmares) panic attacks, insomnia, (12 hours sleep…this week) executive dysfunction(the core problem with autism, ADD, ADHD) anxiety, fear, relationship problems, emotional problems (Rage), DID, Suicidal ideation, addiction problems, avoidance, high likelihood of homelessness, and… an even higher chance of a second trauma event.

It affects your hearing, your sense of taste, your appetite, digestive system, and even restricts you from building muscle. It opens the door for chronic illnesses like POTS, Addison’s Disease, Diabetes, Arthritis, Graves Disease, Ehlers Danolos syndrome, and more.

I went from being an Assistant Sales manager with a national company to waiting for support money because I can’t work. The ADHD and memory function problems that come with it mean I can forget what I’m doing while I’m doing it. I have also done IT work but that’s gone. PTSD sucks all the logic out of your head and using a computer is exhausting. The concentration needed to not open the wrong program 6 times in a row…

Saddest part is…for every guy like me, there are four girls who have PTSD from sexual assault or childhood sexual assault and get to pay their whole life for something that was done to them by someone else.

When you find the guys responsible, nail em’ up as an example NHL.

10 Likes

An update to this ongoing story and the recent hearings. As I said before, this is far from over.

[Federal government freezing Hockey Canada’s funding Federal government freezing Hockey Canada’s funding - TSN.ca](Federal government freezing Hockey Canada’s funding Federal government freezing Hockey Canada’s funding - TSN.ca)

1 Like

Pretty sad that the CFL couldn't get a loan from the Feds while Hockey Canada got $14 million from them over the last 2 years

3 Likes

Sad how all these back bencher MP’s have to jump in to get their names in lights. From what I heard Hockey Canada told everyone what was going on from day one.
There’s a lot of talk of culture and all that but most of those teams are privately owned so what are they going to do?

Just sounds like a bunch of politicians running for the pork barrel to me…

2 Likes

More hearings scheduled for the end of July.

Note the last line in the article about the NHL having opened an investigation. Allegations are that more than one then junior now playing in the NHL participated in the sexual assault. This could be big whenever it hits the fan. One or more current players could receive a significant suspension judging by Trevor Bauer and what is likely to happen to Deshaun Watson. Could be a year and could be some pretty good players. Arguably this assault was worse than Bauer’s or Watson’s.

(Committee hearings investigating Hockey Canada convene next month Hockey Canada hearings Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage - TSN.ca)

1 Like

Hockey Canada continues to experience fallout from its handling of sexual assault allegations. Scotiabank has paused it’s sponsorship.

(Scotiabank pauses Hockey Canada sponsorship Scotiabank pauses Hockey Canada sponsorship - TSN.ca)

Updated article now including Telus:

(Scotiabank, other corporate giants pause and re-evaluate Hockey Canada sponsorships Scotiabank pauses Hockey Canada sponsorship - TSN.ca)

1 Like

This is where the CFL steps in to have Scotiabank as a sponsor. The CFL has “Diversity Is Strength” campaign going for it

4 Likes

I think when i checked there were four players currently in the NHL. One of them was on the Stanley Cup winning team…

Interesting. I don’t know offhand who any of the players are.

Sorry I get confused about years, almost all of them are in the NHL.

Players that year were:

Jordan Eberle, Kyle Turris, Brayden Schenn, JG Peageau, Josh Baily, Mathew Barzal, Jaden Schwartz, Pierre Luc Dubois, Tyson Jost, Bo Horvat, Anthony Bouvillier, Ryan O’Rielly, Neugent-Hopkins, McDavid, Joel Edmonson, Aaron Eckblad, Ryan Pulock, Darnell Nurse, Ryan Murry, Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Thomas Chabot, Colton Parayko,
Michael DiPietro, Curtis McElhinney, Darcy Kuemper

I think that all players except one or two perhaps are currently in the NHL. There are four that are alleged to have participated in the assault. The only Avalanche player of the ones you named is Kuemper. I am not going to speculate but in due course I expect names will come out.

Even four of those guys would hurt some teams badly. But that's what it is.
Nobody has mentioned the players ages either and that they may have been minors at the time.

Since the articles I posted yesterday about Scotiabank and Telus pausing their sponsorship, as of today so has Canadian Tire and Tim Horton’s. Again, this is far from over.

(Tim Hortons 'suspends support' for World Juniors in another blow for Hockey Canada Tim Hortons pulls funding World Juniors Hockey Canada - TSN.ca)

2 Likes

Oh man, not good for hockey in this country. I wonder what The Great One thinks of all of this.

2 Likes

It's nice to see now for once some corporate sponsors putting their money where their mouths have been in their marketing, public relations, and any given political lobbying for years instead of the usual "well don't know yet, we'll wait and see" and "nobody has been charged with a crime yet, so we'll find out after years of legal proceedings" and all the other stall tactics before whatever displeasing reports and conclusions, as are plausible right now to some degree, are inevitably going to be disclosed via private investigations and legal and court proceedings.

3 Likes

It looks like Bauer is also reviewing their relationship with Hockey Canada.

Also Victor Mete has come out and made it clear that he was not involved in the sexual assault.

(Mete denies involvement in alleged sexual assault involving Canada's 2018 junior team Mete denies involvement in alleged sexual assault involving Canada's 2018 junior team - TSN.ca)

1 Like