History puts a .500 record in perspective

And from 1987 to 1995 Montreal fans had no team to cheer for.

Obviously I would be happier if the Cats made the Grey Cup, but that's not what my point was because this isn't about what is more disappointing. I was showing that if you want to, you can poke holes in even the most successful person's résumé.

Look at it from the perspective of an Atlanta Braves fan. From 1991 to 2005, the Braves won 14 straight division titles and made it to five World Series in eight years (1991, 1992, 1995, 1996, 1999). That is phenomenal success, but the Braves won just one World Series in that span.

Compare that to the Als who, as an organization, have been to the playoffs every single year since they came back into the league in 1996. Eight times, they have gone to the Grey Cup, and three times they have won. Great success, but not immune to bouts of failure.

The point that was originally made was that Calvillo does not accept mediocrity. If you look at his record in the Grey Cup, it is mediocre, just like the Braves' record in the MLB playoffs. Despite all the great accomplishments that Calvillo has amassed during his Hall-of-Fame career, he still has a Brave-like record when it matters most. That is not to say he should be ashamed of it; far from it. But it also doesn't mean that he is not without flaws.

Let's go full-circle once again. The product on the field in the early 80's was pathetic hence the insurmountable financial losses. Businesses that aren't run properly go bankrupt. Economics 101.

Yup. That was a result of the bad ownership of Nelson Skalbania and later Bronfman.

Great, you can dissect it anyway you like. Bottom line is how do YOU feel after an atrocious Ti-cats loss and a foreboding sense of another (and I stress ANOTHER) wasted year? I feel incredibly pissed off and it ruins the rest of my day. I don't know about you but I would rather be elated. Seriously, if the Cats were consistently 10-8 or 12-6 and won the Grey Cup every 5 or 6 years in an 8 team league (that's not asking for too much now is it? :roll: ), pessimism would dramatically decrease. Hell there might not even be anybody on this board.

Compare that to the Als who, as an organization, have been to the playoffs every single year since they came back into the league in 1996. Eight times, they have gone to the Grey Cup, and three times they have won. Great success, but not immune to bouts of failure.

The point that was originally made was that Calvillo does not accept mediocrity. If you look at his record in the Grey Cup, it is mediocre, just like the Braves' record in the MLB playoffs. Despite all the great accomplishments that Calvillo has amassed during his Hall-of-Fame career, he still has a Brave-like record when it matters most. That is not to say he should be ashamed of it; far from it. But it also doesn't mean that he is not without flaws.

I comprehend what you are saying although my point of conveyance is that while Calvillo/Als are not without flaws and miscues, even in big games, the Als are, by far, the most successful team of the past decade and have won more titles and had more Grey Cup appearances than any other team in the league.
By far.

The team is unquestionably successful. How many other teams have had this type of success during this period.
None.
And they just came off two successive Grey Cup wins to boot, and yet derision for Calvillo and the team remain constant.

I would dearly dearly love for my Cats to have similar such accomplishments.
If the Cats made the GC this year and lost, this town would be buzzing and looking forward to next season. I would be.
Conversely, if the Als made it to the GC and lost, Calvillo and the team would be villified.

nothing but a double standard.

I agree with you, the Als are the model franchise of the CFL, if not all of professional sports.

I'm not trying to deride Calvillo or the Als. Far from it, actually. Just pointing out that even great teams and players have blemishes. Calvillo's is minor in comparison to others. Jerry West lost in the NBA finals eight times, winning just one NBA title in his career. West is one of the greatest players in NBA history, much like Calvillo is in the CFL, but his record in the Finals is part of his legacy. Part of Calvillo's legacy is the five Grey Cup losses. It's a footnote, to be sure, but it is still there.

I agree with you, the Als are the model franchise of the CFL, if not all of professional sports.

I'm not trying to deride Calvillo or the Als. Far from it, actually. Just pointing out that even great teams and players have blemishes. Calvillo's is minor in comparison to others. Jerry West lost in the NBA finals eight times, winning just one NBA title in his career. West is one of the greatest players in NBA history, much like Calvillo is in the CFL, but his record in the Finals is part of his legacy. Part of Calvillo's legacy is the five Grey Cup losses. It's a footnote, to be sure, but it is still there.

I'll take the footnotes along with the appearances and titles over nothing at all, which is what we have had for 12 seasons straight. :frowning: