Hindsight: Did CFL get proper value of $40M?

CFL provides "value" to their broadcasting partner. What Rogers just did is paid for by their cellphone customers... Because there is no way to even come close to breaking even selling advertizing to cover what they paid for. In other words terrible value and stupid management.

tHE aMERICAN NETWORKS LOSE MONEY ON THE NfL. aBOUT 500 MILLION. tHEY KNOW THEY PAY TOO MUCH BUT SEE IT AS BENIFICAL BECAUSE THEY PROMO OTHER PROGRAMS…opps caps off

You can make a parallel. NHL is to Canadian television what the NFL is to American television. Does not mean it is sustainable. Many doubt the NFL will ever see that kind of money again.

I pretty sure the idea of the CFL moving the season back one month died with this contract signing.
I think the CFL should really look at partnering with TSN in a winter indoor football league. The Raptors draw 100K, NLL is a joke, so is NBL Canada.TSN would need a property that could draw atleast 200000 fans
The teams could retain their same cities and same names. Each logo would simply have "indoor written on it. You could even use some of the rookies off of the CFL teams and build their indoor contract into their contract to allow more players to build roots and earn a little extra cash in their adoptive community. It could be the same teams with the same 18 game schedule with the same playoff format. Rogers would obviously not allow a BC team to play at their arena, but they could play at the coluseam at the PNE. The Toronto team would probably be allowed into the ACC because Bell own just as much as Rogers. The only sticky point would be Regina where their arena is too small. The team could play out of Saskatoon. If the NLL can draw 8000 fans a game, a ICFL would draw over 10000. They would put the NLL out of business almost imediately as well, thus freeing up more dates at the arenas they play in.

I’m already aware of this, but the poster stated that “ALL Network deals in pro sports lose money for the networks”.
Which isn’t true.

Ummm…who exactly is TSN going to bid against for a CFL broadcast contract?
I see our taxpayer funded CBC as very quickly getting squeezed out of professional sports broadcasting all together…well maybe they will have enough left in the taxpayer funded wallet to do curling and figure skating and the odd downhill skiing slalom event, but the writing is pretty much on the wall when it comes to stuff like the NHL…I know they no longer do the CFL, and I cannot even recall if they did any MLB/Blue Jays games in recent seasons.
But really…should the taxpayer funded CBC really be in the business of broadcasting professional sports? I personally do not think so…I actually think the entire CBC should be shuttered and closed down.

Rogers of course will jack up the subscription rates for all their specialty SportsNet channel packages…best of luck to them, but I think Rogers is shooting itself in the foot with this whole NHL deal, but whatever. If their SportsNet hockey broadcasting is going to be similar to how it is now, forget it…everything is always blacked out unless one happens to be “in the local viewing area of the game being played”, at least on Canadian DBS satellite subscriptions. SportsNet sucks.

Well David Asper has ties to the Cfl ...he could put in a BS bid just to keep TSN honest. Whether or not Global/Shaw has any plans on starting it's own sports network in thenext 5 years to make a legit bid..only time will tell

The Modern CFL is just beginning to hit its stride. It wont be imppossible to do without but in a few years if not already the will be something that will be hard programming for TSN to replace should the CFL but itself out there for open bidding. TSN can do more for the CFL than any other Network in Canada so it is a rare situation where both sides need each other to achieve the success.

That’s funny, you made up most of your facts because I don’t see any links or references. But the reality is that the TV rights are worth what the networks are willing to pay. In 5 years if no other network wants to bid on the CFL then TSN will call the shots, if the ratings stay the same then there is no increase in the TV contract.
The new contract that kicks in next season was based upon average ratings of around 700,000 over the last few seasons.
If TSN has lost most of their NHL games and lost the big ticket item like the Olympics there revenue will suffer and they may not have the cash in five years to pay the CFL significantly more. But its still comes down to competition, who is willing to bid on the CFL in five years? Sportsnet? the CBC?
CFL teams have to sell tickets and look at other ways to make money, TV is a small part of their revenue.

This is fantastic for the CFL. They've just jumped from #2 to #1 sport property on Canada's biggest sports network. What's not to like :slight_smile:

How about a massive increase.
Hell contracts mean nothing to athletes when they want to “re up” as they say in the middle of an existing one.
So why not I say, the league with Cohon should go back demand to double the contract and once and for all change the playoffs and GC for the main CTV network viewing.

If MLSE gets involved with owning the Argos, look to see Maple Leaf ads on TSN during Argo games as TSN will be showing some Leaf games on a regional basis. There is some synergy here. This could really work out fantastically for the Argos and TSN and help with the Maple Leafs image as nothing more than corporate. The Argos and CFL would bring in a touch of commonness to MLSE which really would be a good thing for the company IMHO.

I don’t thin so Earl.
It’s like mixing oil and water.
If this week is any indication, we seem to know the MLSE agenda, with the Argos being a footnote if owned.
I hope it never happens.

What TSN/RDS has done to promote the CFL is worth its weight in Gold. An avg of 7.5K watching a game means that the CFL will be bringing unthought of amount of corporate sponsor money just 10 years ago.
TSN lost one of its biggest corporate sponors and some thought ub oh same old CFL but other Corporate sponsors has stepped up for what Iwould guess would be mor $$$.
The Argos cannot get anyone into the seats at RC but overlooked is that they have brought in 2 million more in sponsors from 2012, which I would venture to guess would be the most in Argo history.
TD Atlantic comes with its own sponsor NAPA TD Atlantic. NAPA most likely paid a nice fee to attach their name to that. So although there may have been only just under 16K at the game revenue streams came from other places. Hopefully the Argos and the CFL and NAPA can come to an agreement to see one of Torono's odd tuesday night games played on a Saturday in Moncton for a three game series until they are in a new stadium. The CFL pays for all of the home teams expesences leaving Toronto without a TUES game where they may lose money in renting RC and reconfiguring the stadium and the CFL gets a sponsor to pay for some of the costs. Montreal as their opponenet each year brings a stability of teams that fans will be looking for.

Not at all the same thing.

Teams also have no qualms about cutting a player who doeasn’t perform as well as expected, or to ask for pay reduction. It goes both ways.

TSN has been a great partner to this league. Don’t go kicking them when they’re down.

The TV deal and the partnership with TSN is perfect right now as is. Lets not forget that their parent company Bell could also pitch in with some naming rights for a new stadium going up in the future. So aside from the actual $$$ from the TV deal TSN can offer other fringe benefits.

And when TSN says “lol no”, what is Cohon going to do? Players can hold out and refuse to play, to try and put pressure on the team to give in (teams often don’t). And that’s with the fairly flimsy world of CFL contracts, as the Chris Williams case illustrated.

A business to business contract with one of the largest companies in Canada in Bell (who own TSN)? Those are pretty ironclad. I suppose Cohon could just shut down the league until TSN gives in or the owners throw Cohon under the bus, but I’m pretty sure the bus wins that one. And that’s unless TSN has terms to prevent Cohon doing that, in which case a phalanx of lawyers will come knocking and sue the league for lost revenue.

They got a massive increase from a company that has been a great parter. You do not respond to that by going back to that partner and trying to rip up the contract.

I don't think the CFL cares that much about the money. That's why they keep resigning with TSN without talking to other bidders, like the CBC/Global who said they'd have paid more.

Regardless if the TV rights are $15 million or $42 million, the teams spend the money and raise everyone salary by 15%, or whatever. No biggie either way.

Just like the NHL's salary cap will go up $10 million with the Rogers deal. All that means is journeyman players making $2.5 million will get bumped to $3 million, making them even less likely to throw hits or risk injuring their multi-million dollar golden goose.

Pretty much. As much as I hate to see CFL’ers get 10 percent of the till. The NHL forks over 50 percent of that increase…And now they are on an amateur network.

The relationship is far from perfect. It’s a decent agreement, that’s about it.
I’m really interested in seeing how hard TSN will push, market and expose the CFL now that the league is their biggest property. I’m not optimistic about this at all, and doubt we’ll see anything but the same.

Naming rights isn’t going to happen, if anything you’ll see Bell make a bigger push into hockey sponsorship.