HIGGINS IS STUPID!!!!!

He's been quiet lately :lol:

Agreed, Hfx, but is the recent success attributable to DIH (Deer In Headlights), or to Schonert/Garcia, the professionalism of the players/the improvement of Crompton...

Now, if by some miracle of miracles, the Als were to make an appearance in, and win the GC, I'd be glad to change my opinion.

To me, the jury is still out on DIH.

I'm with you but Higgins experience and wisdom was a big part of letting the players figure things out, he also deserves credit for sticking with Shawn Whyte. That was gutsy. he's also a lot more involved and awake in games lately, so maybe it was rust, he had been away from coaching for six, seven years. I just don't want him to fill the roster with arzz kissers. Football is a tough game and he needs to let players be themselves a bit. Can he ???

Easy to praise Higgins for Whyte but everyone (including Herb, who seems to have amnesia on this) forgets that it was Whyte, and no one else, who upped his training regimen in the offseason, adding muscle to be a better distance punter. THAT is the reason Higgins can be supportive of Whyte this year -- because Whyte is playing at a higher level. Blaming Rychleski is a cop-out IMO, since Whyte was just as poor at punting when Bischoff was special teams coach and Bischoff was never a fiery type. If Whyte hadn't put in the work this offseason, I doubt Higgins would have been as patient. It's easy to be good cop when the player is performing.

True but he was still the “donkey”. I would not have sticked with him, no matter how many squats he made. On that one gamble Higgins won. The story will be written over the next month or so.

I wouldn't have stuck with Whyte either, but I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that Jim Popp played a large role in him sticking around. Jim always has final say on personnel decisions and he's been known in the past to find creative ways to keep players around even if the current coach goes with someone else. Avon Cobourne comes to mind...

I hope for Higgin's sake the Als season won't come down to the score against Hamilton in the last game. Because his mistake of taking a knee instead of taking the points against them in the Montreal game will loom VERY LARGE.

Kind of hard to figure. Winnipeg with O`Shea and Willy start 5-1 and now have lost 8 in a row. The Als start 1-7 and then with Higgins and Crompton go 7-1. Strength of schedule has something to do with it but still.

Which raises the question of what`s more important, good coaching or good talent?

Pour ma part, je ne suis pas surpris. 4 de leurs 6 premières parties étaient contre des équipes de l'Est manifestement en retard sur les équipes de l'Est. Lorsque leur calendrier s'est concentré sur les équipes de l'Ouest, la descente aux enfers a commencé.

Marcel Bellefeuille n'a jamais bâti d'attaque capable de tenir une saison complète. À mon avis, il n'a pas la compétence pour avoir un poste de coordonnateur à l'attaque. Il est tout simplement dépassé. La ligne offensive des Bou! Bombers a bien commencé la saison contre des défensives qui devaient mettre leurs morceaux en place, mais elle s'est révélé une passoire lorsque les adversaires ont compris par où l'attaquer. Bellefeuille n'a jamais eu de réponse à ces schémas et Willy est devenu de la chair à sac.

Peut-on seulement imaginer que le quart partant se fasse saquer 10 fois dans l'avant-dernière partie de la saison? Si cela ne veut pas dire que la ligne offensive est en déroute, comment l'interpréter?

Les Bou! Bombers ont encore pas mal de chemin à faire, et pas mal de recrutement à compléter tant chez les entraîneurs que chez les joueurs.

I think talent trumps everything. You can ruin a talented ball club with bad coaching but even the best coaching can't make a team more talented. Having said that Football is about a lot of other things.

I completely agree. I hated having him as the OC for the Als.

I think it would be more accurate to say with Garcia, Schoenert and Crompton.

Just listened to The Als This Week and when Popp was asked about Higgins role in the Als resurgence, he beat around the bush and really didn`t acknowledge any credit.

Yuup. Says it all. Figurehead Higgins looks good now but it was Jim Popp who saved his bacon by bringing in coaches (Garcia, Schonert, Matthews) and players (Crompton, Rogers, Knapton) to help this team pull together. Can't see that Higgins has done anything except mouth his usual platitudes. He's not involved in running the offence. Thorpe runs the defence. And the unit he does run, special teams, has been awful.

And yet some will have one believe otherwise. :wink:

Well the season isn't finished, Higgins has accomplished nothing yet so why would Jim give him any credit at this point. Like I mentioned, anything short of making the post season is an epic fail.

I disagree. I know we haven't accomplished anything, but battling back to 8-8 after starting the season 1-7 is a major accomplishment, and Jim's not one to shy away from giving out praise when it's due. It's telling that he didn't even throw Higgins a bone. Perhaps a way to return the favour for Higgins saying the Als had no succession plan for Calvillo, which was basically a swipe at Popp...

Marc-Olivier Brouillette a rendu hommage à Higgins hier en saluant les moments où il a su maintenir le sang froid des troupes et les moments où il a su les motiver à aller plus loin.

Je ne sais pas si cela n'était que de la courtoisie, mais je n'ai pas eu l'impression que Brouillette avait été spécifiquement questionné sur le rôle de Higgins dans le revirement de situation. J'ai plutôt l'impression que le commentaire est venu de lui-même.

Voilà une note discordante qui a son crédit.

Higgins is a nice man, the question. Is he a good HC ? I still think he needs to get a home game. To be out of the playoffs in a division this weak I don't think is acceptable.

C'est un minimum!

Je ne crois pas que Higgins a présentement racheté le départ horrible de l'équipe par ses interventions ou sa compétence.

Je crois qu'il est apprécié des joueurs et des autres membres de l'équipe, ce qui ne veut pas dire que tous estiment qu'il a la compétence qu'il faut pour le poste qu'il occupe. Il se peut qu'il ait fait comme Crompton et qu'il se soit amélioré avec les semaines, mais de là à dire que son influence est déterminante sur les résultats des parties, je pense que c'est un pas que je ne franchirai pas.

Au mieux, Brouillette est un bon gars qui tient à souligner les qualités de son patron (et je le crois de bonne foi lorsqu'il le fait car il précise là où il a apprécié la direction de Higgins) et il ne veut pas lui nuire, mais pour le partisan que je suis, je ne suis pas convaincu que les Alouettes ne pourraient pas s'améliorer avec un autre que lui comme entraîneur-chef.

D'un autre côté, avec tous les bouleversements que cette équipe a vécus depuis la fin de la saison 2012, un peu de stabilité chez les entraîneurs ne devrait pas faire de tort non plus. Mais dans ce cas, je pense quand même que Higgins devrait congédier son coordonnateur des unités spéciales. Ce gars-là n'a pas été capable de faire fonctionner son unité depuis le début de la saison, et elle collectionne toujours les punitions.