Hey Toronto can you beat this in

Hey Hamilton, will you actaully host a Grey Cup in the next 50 years?

Didn't Cohon state that Hamilton will host 2 or 3 Grey Cups in the first decade of the new stadium?
(something to that effect)

Yup, and Hamilton will soon have a superior football stadium, well IWS already is superior to the RC despite it being not as big or fancy or Grey Cup ready. :wink:

Wasn't 96 the last time? And as I recall as well as being a classic GC the place was packed. Not far down the highway but I think Hamilton would have a more sucessful GC than Toronto at this point in time.

No, '96 was a disaster GC in Hamilton, poorly organized, poor ownership of the Cats at the time and certainly not all tickets were sold and the city lost money and hardly any Argo fans made the trip from Toronto to watch their team, mind you I think the Argo fanbase at that time totaled 3000 season ticket holders and not much more, the NFL was "immenent" to come to Toronto and all that as Paul Godfrey was touting and the Rogers Centre was going to undergo an expansion to make it a 65,000 NFL stadium ... not. :wink:

Now things have changed of course so this time around in a new stadium and with super ownership of the Cats and a bigger fanbase here, I think it will be nothing short of a total success for the city, league, fans, Cats etc.

who owned the Cats in '96 Earl? Was it the Hamilton-Wentworth Municipality?
To my recollection, Braley was gone by that time..

The most difficult aspect to fathom was that this was the dazzling Flutie period and the Argos averaged less than 20,000 during his his two Grey Cup terms there, and Hamilton did not completely sell out the Cup game. (although we did cram 38,595 spectators into a stadium that held approx 30,000 permanent seats)

Those were strange days indeed.

According to http://www.ticats.ca/page/history_history the Tiger-Cats were under private ownership from 1995. I didn't know that Hamilton was community owned as recently as the 90s.

much obliged for the link PiCat.

"In April, 1995 the franchise reverted to private ownership as it was transferred from the community-based group led by Yachetti to a group headed by Toronto businessmen David Macdonald (chairman) and George Grant"

No question Bob Young has ruffled some feathers here in Steeltown that a CFL owner could be so "apparent" if you will but this is what the Cats needed badly and the city. Even among the non Cat fans it has people talking about the Cats even if negative ie. a CFL team in Hamilton doesn't deserve any tax money for a stadium etc. ... this is just NFL country with Buffalo so close etc... It's great, it has people talking football even if lots are wearing their NFL stuff around town. I rarely see people wearing Blue Jays stuff like you used to except for hats which MLB hats seem to be the "cool" thing everywhere, I've even seen CFL and NFL guys being interviewed wearing MLB hats.

Are you kidding me?????

Hamilton:

-Lack of Hotels
-Lack of public transit
-Lack of a big venue (toronto convention centre, vancouver convention centre, ect) to host events/team parties.
-Undersized Stamdium located in a Ghetto
-Lack of Bars/Restuarants around the stadium

Until every one of those issues gets addressed, Hamilton doesn't get to host a Grey Cup. Why have it in Hamilton when you can have it in a city 45 mins east that doesn't have any of these issues?

I have to agree with what Birdman is saying actually. Hamilton isn't a friendly tourist attraction for the very reasons he mentions (although bars around a stadium or arena I couldn't care less about but lots do, fair enough) plus a perception, talking perception, that it's a "hole in the ground, smelly dirty rotten steeltown". Which is a shame. :?

There are many people here who live here just for cheaper living than Toronto but work in Toronto and you can tell they are ashamed they live here. A shame again, Hamilton has so many gorgeous areas with the lake and escarpment trails in it.

Born and raised in Toronto and a die hard Argo fan here. I am familiar with the problems you mention but just the apathy in Toronto alone for CFL football is enough to make me question a TO GC. Add to that the worst stadium in the league and it doesn't look appealing. I hope the GC goes well next year and I really hope Torontonians wake from the NFL pipe dream and embrace the Argos again. The thing I really can't understand is why so many feel they have to support one or the other? When I was an NFL fan (haven't watched since 91 or 92, Buffalo's second loss) I was a fan of both. Why do Canadian NFL fans (most not all) feel they have to snub their nose at the CFL to be true NFL fans?

Obviously my memory is tainted by the great game that it was. One of the best Grey Cups ever.

Toronto is probably the most apathetic CFL city/metro per capita (among places with a team), but I wonder if there could be more CFL fans in Toronto than there are, say, TiCat fans in Hamilton, just because the population of the area is so large. For the same reason, there are more CFL fans in Ontario than most other CFL markets, even though per capita support sucks, because of the large population [1]. It makes sense to hold it in Toronto for those fans, even though the many people around them don't care.

[1]There was a poll a while ago about percentage CFL interest in Canada and in different regions. I turned those percentages into numbers here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59505&hilit=+ontario&p=997799#p997799

I was at the game, great game for sure and really enjoyed it with the snow and that, great time at the parties, I'm just talking about the other aspects about it.

Why do Canadian NFL fans (most not all) feel they have to snub their nose at the CFL to be true NFL fans?

The people that feel they have to snub their nose at the CFL in order to make them feel they are a true NFL fan (definitely dumb sorts IMHO since I'm living proof you can love the CFL and be a true NFL fan and my IQ ain't that high :wink: ) have some weird crap going on in their brains. Thinking about it, they really are just dumb sh....s. :stuck_out_tongue:

As I recall it was more of a Bills in Toronto kind of sellout. Tim Hortons bought up all the unsold tickets and sold them at a huge discount through their Hamilton outlets. I think they did sell them all as I dont recall seeing any empty seats through the snow. I have no doubt that today, the game would sell out in no time. Attending that game back in 96 is my number one all time greatest sports memory.

[i]Why do Canadian NFL fans (most not all) feel they have to snub their nose at the CFL to be true NFL fans?[/i]

The people that feel they have to snub their nose at the CFL in order to make them feel they are a true NFL fan (definitely dumb sorts IMHO since I'm living proof you can love the CFL and be a true NFL fan and my IQ ain't that high :wink: ) have some weird crap going on in their brains. Thinking about it, they really are just dumb sh....s. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still say they are overcompensating for having small penises. :wink:
:thup: [i](albeit have to admit I will never qualify for the male stripping circuit :o )[/i]

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001746009/3951792297_small_penis_xlarge.jpeg

even Condoleeza knows....

The Bills, despite having the best team in the last several years ,are threatening to blacklist TV for future games unless the Buffalo stadium is sold out. Look at National Post sports-" Toronto not sitting pretty with NFL". Evidently TO will not get the Jacksonville team even though the Jaguars play in a small market and, struggle to draw enough fans to prevent blackouts.

Buffalo has blacked out games for years. Nothing new with that.