hey, I am offended

as a non catholic, I am offended by the term hail mary being used to describe a football play. harumpf 8)

How about "virgin mary" for the non-alcoholic drink?

How about all those Dutch flags with "OPEN" written across the white stripe?

As an anti theist I couldn’t care less. :lol:

As a someone with panendeist tendencies, I am with ryan's thinking on this one. 8)

A Hail Mary can be any Christian faith.

no…its catholic…google it

I am a protestant who once lived in a catholic community. I am very familiar with its distinction

I'm offended that you're offended. :smiley:

now that offends me. in fact, I am tempted to report you to …somebody

Well since Hail Mary prayers are often said ten times when somebody is using their rosary to pray I think a Hail Mary touchdown should be worth ten points. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently you are not familiar at all it seems, from Wikipedia

The Hail Mary, also commonly called the Ave Maria (Latin) or Angelic Salutation, is a traditional Catholic prayer asking for the intercession of the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus. In Roman Catholicism, the prayer forms the basis of the Rosary and the Angelus prayers. In the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic Churches, a similar prayer is used in formal liturgies, both in Greek and in translations. It is also used by many other groups within the Catholic tradition of Christianity including [b]Anglicans[/b], Independent Catholics, and Old Catholics. [b]Some Protestant denominations, such as Lutherans, also make use of a form of the prayer.[/b]
And I was a Catholic raised in a Protestant community, I also have a close cousin that is a Protestant minister for 50 years and I am very familiar with the Protestants using Hail Mary (their church was literally right across the street from my house).

Most of the groups Wikipedia names are not really Protestants in the Reformation sense, they are "non-Roman" catholics. Apart from Lutherans, most Protestants in the English-speaking world are either Calvinist or Methodist in origin, and as far as I know, none of them would dream of using the Hail Mary. When I grew up Presbyterian, the Hail Mary was a classic example of what was "wrong" with Catholicism.

As a protestant christian, Northern conservative babtist, great Lakes region council of 1912 . I am offended. Lol

Emo Phillips :wink:

Yea well I’m turning my will over to my GOD as I understood him. I indeed would like to receive positive results man!

Plenty “wong” with Catholicism as forced upon me from my parents, that is for sure.

You could ask God to smite me. :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s probably web sites for that sort of thing. :expressionless:

This thread is weird.

Actually, I would have thought it would be Catholics who would be offended that we are using one of their most sacred prayers as a football term.

As a non-Catholic (and non-Lutheran, for those sticklers) I don't say the Hail Mary, and don't believe in what it says. I have no problem calling a last-play long bomb a Hail Mary pass.

yeah, I thought it could be looked at that way as well.

[quote="FootbalYouBet"]as a non catholic, I am offended by the term hail mary being used to describe a football play. harumpf 8)[/quote

I think there was a jewish version but it was too long for the tv air time...so they went with catholic version...

" oi ve...why on earth would they indiscriminately throw the ball into the air down the field in hopes that that young man, who is on the same team of course, would even have a chance at catching it when there's a number of opponents standing in the same place trying to catch the same ball? It doesn't make any sense...could someone please explain this?...it would make more sense to try and not have yourself in such situations in the first place....on the other hand...if you are indeed losing at that point then why not...give it a shot...but on the other hand...why throw it into a big bunch of people when you can throw it to maybe just one person on the other side?..."

see....way to long

and yes I'm jewish, so I know these things