Here's to successful US expansion!

Lets go back to the US in hopes that it is a raging success. Let's hope that we can have a good 20 teams or so that the CFL head office can move to the States because the majority of the teams are there just like they did with the NHL.

After they move we can all gather around and beg for another team here in Canada because after the US takes over they will never expand into our county because they will give preference to the States. Just like in the NHL!!!!!

Lets give the states 20 or so teams so that when the American players have a choice to play in their home country or play in a foreign county where the dollar is worth less and the taxes are higher so that the Canadian teams will always have a disadvantage. Just like with MBL

Lets have 20 US teams where the US league changes the pay structure so that contracts are payed in US dollars and increase Canadian payrolls by 20% giving them another disadvantage!!!!

Lets hope for a successful US expansion!!!!

Yes all good points RO, except the NHL comparison is really not totally correct as there were only 2 Canadian teams.
Otherwise, yes we Canadians did "sell out" our game after the first round of expansion from 6 to 12 teams.

http://www.nhl.com/hockeyu/history/evolution.html

At its inception, the NHL boasted five franchises- the Montreal Canadiens, the Montreal Wanderers, the Ottawa Senators, the Quebec Bulldogs, and the Toronto Arenas. The league's first game was held Dec. 19, 1917. The point is that at one time the NHL was strictly Canadian.

Since 1967 there has been expansion to 19 US cities and 2 Canadian cities. 3 came with the merger of the WHL so they are not relay expansion.

So you blame the US for the mistakes the Canadians made?

Nah.

You forgot the caption that goes with that photo

I think the picture speaks for itself.

One thing you should know, Polar Bears and Penquins do not live in the same area.

Yes I know. The picture still speaks for itself.

I don't support American expansion! Good post ro1313! Let's keep it in Canada! Ottawa and Halifax hopefully!

The caption was

Do one brave thing today............
Then run like hell!

And if Wethenhaul keeps pushing American expansion, then its time to put him in an old folks home.

How quickly people forget. :roll: :roll: :roll:

And in a world where globalization is getting more support, how quickly could we fall behind :roll: :roll: :roll:

Can we say North American Union that was signed by former PM and Liberal Paul Martin.

The Independent Task Force on North America was a project organized by the United States Council on Foreign Relations, the Canadian Council of Chief Executives, and the Mexican Council on Foreign Relations. It was chaired by former Canadian politician John Manley and advocates a North American Union, entailing a greater integration between Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

It was launched in October 2004 and published two documents - Trinational Call for a North American Economic and Security Community by 2010 (March 2005) and its final report Building a North American Community[1] (May 2005).

The final report proposed increased international cooperation between the nations of Canada, the United States, and Mexico, similar in some respects to that of the European Union.

Some Internet sources claim that this report, despite its own language rejecting a political union, would create a North American Union.

Yeah anyone can read from a bunch of dead trees BB,but take it from someone who lives here, AMERICA IS..WAS..AND ALWAYS WILL BE OUT FOR AMERICA! and no one else! my govt. has not one concern for the welfare of any other country on this continent except for itself. If you think they do then why is mexico,PRETTY MUCH A THIRD WORLD NATION,a part of any treaties whatsoever??? They bring absolutely nothing to any table of discussion (except maybe the WEED that most politicians smoke anyway).

My point is that these constant threads about the CFL going back into the u.s. really need to stop. How many times on here have posters complained about the B.O.Idiots and the way they do things? One of those things is to constantly undermine any commissioner that tries to do good things for the league. When are some of you people going to get that THEY WANT THE CFL TO BECOME ANOTHER NFL!! and one of the ways they see that happening is to try u.s. expansion again. They want the potential to make nfl style money and will do anything or sellout anyone to achieve this.

u.s. expansion was a joke...is a joke and will never work. If true fans of this league want to see a STRONG CFL then it needs to become strong in CANADA not the states! In fact I'll bet money that some of the owners would truly love to have the CFL become a minor league for the nfl. That way they would have achieved their goal of getting a piece of the nfl pie. And I believe that is all they care about.

whoa calm down G, I look at it the same way I look at bowling.
There is 5 pin and 10 pin. One played with 3 smaller balls, and the other played with 2 balls with fingure holes. Both are bowling and supported regardless of the difference in the games.
As for my North American Union post, by posting that I am not saying that I support it, I am only saying that there are powers trying to make this union happen.
And even if it does not happen, globalization is going to continue regardless.
I dont know if you ever lived in Canada Geo, but we watch American TV shows, wear American clothes, drive american cars and other imported cars. Heck, there are just as much NFL fans in Canada as there are CFL fans as much as I hate to admit that.
So I have no problem pushing CFL onto American football fans. They wont get another NFL because it cant be done.
Instead what they will get is a different kind of game.
As I said befor, US expansion was a joke in the south, but CFL is meant to be played and loved in the North. Just ask the Baltimore fans.

Saying that it will only work in the north and saying to ask Baltimore fans make no sense.

If the Baltimore fans are so great why did they high tail it out so quickly when the NFL came back????????? The fans only used it to lure the NFL back...... Come to think of it, it the fans were so great, why did the Colts leave in the first place??????

The fans that supported it should have remained regardless as to whether or not there was an NFL team don't you think? The league and owner knew it was not going to happen.

I said it before and I will say it again. 6 or 7 teams failed in the US. You can claim it was the location all you want but the bottom line is the US will never embrace Canadian football because it is not theirs.

If it is not made in the USA they don't want anything to do with it. Trust me, on this I speak from experience.

Even if so some unknown reason they did accept it and it flourished...... then re-read my first post in this thread!

And I will say it again here, 7 out of 9 ( I mean 8 ) CFL teams can not survive in Canada with out bail out money from either the government,fund raisers, or Millionairs looking for a write off come income tax time.
Face it, as much as I love the CFL as do most Canadians, the CFL only survives in Canada because it is part of our heritage and that we Canadians are charitible towards the league.

Canadian football can only work in the U.S. if they have their own independant league, which could have semi-interlocking schedule with existing CFL teams (say, 4 out of 18 games). The American League could have their own championship, with the Grey Cup winner from the Canadian teams playing the American League champion (ALCF) for the North American championship. (Or optionally the Grey Cup game could be for the overall NA championship, so as to not diminish the supremecy of the GC).

You would need a minimum of 6 U.S. teams, but ideally 8, 12 or 16. This could be a semi-independant league with their own TV contract, but should adhere to Canadian rules except wherever possible... (i.e. non-imports, endzones shrunk if necc.)

The advantage for the CFL is that they could own this new league and sell franchises to rich Americans who lust after their own football team. It would also open up the CFL/ALCF to the North American TV market. It could also head-off the creation of competing football leagues in the future. It would help promote the game of Canadian football to a much wider audience. It also would give some variety to home fans with 2 U.S. teams visiting each year to play Canadian football, and then you might not have to play the Ti-Cats four times.

Some may say...Nah, it will never work, we are too small and America is too big. Why would they want to watch Canadian football in the U.S. anyways? And we failed before, so we should just give up and stick with 8 teams?? Stick your neck out and it could get chopped off...but another wise man once said about business, "Grow or die"...