Herb talks about Anderson, Trestman, Boulay

[url=http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Dwight+Anderson+told+stay+away+from+Alouettes/5637402/story.html]http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/D ... story.html[/url]

Looks like coach faced some challenges from a few players understanding team first concept... While its tough to see guys we could use getting moved or sidelined. I support Coach Trestman on this stuff. Its been really hard to keep this team focus and disciplined this year as it is.

If your told to put 100 bucks in a jar because you screwed up, you smile and you put it in... I also agree 100 percent that Boulay showed up in poor condition and with a lack of focus.

Re Anderson , where there is smoke there usually is fire. Trying to fit a round peg in a square hole.

Must admit disappointed in reading about Boulay reporting to training camp out of shape. With Proulx retiring, one would have thought he would be geared up to take over on a full time basis. Or maybe he thought he was a lock at the position with Proulx retired.

Funny...

It doesn't sound like players are having trouble with the "team first concept"

It sounds like...and considering how these decisions (and Herb should have dug a bit deeper and included Avon Cobourne's "release") ...some of the better character players on the team are having trouble with the "Trestman First" concept.

I surely don't want to go into detail while the season is still in play.
But suffice it to say that Trestman has evolved into a "tin pot dictator"
Who's egotistical stubbornness and rigidity
Both on and off the field
Has been a HUGE contributing factor in the Alouettes waning fortunes.

Don't be surprised if a torrent of these "Trestmanisms" surface after he quits Montreal
Don't get me wrong
Head Coaching is a delicate balance between sternness and compassion
Respect and discipline

It's just that "punish" seems to have creeped into the mix
And this from a man who's supposedly about respecting men as men

:?

Now where could that have come from?
The guy needs to loosen up
And "Don" another cap

:wink:

Si on veut parler de dictateur, Wally Buono est bien connu pour sa main de fer, et est probablement encore plus obstiné et ferme que Trestman. Pourtant, c'est lui qui a cumulé le plus de victoires comme entraîneur. Et on ne peut pas dire qu'il a été à la Coupe Grey à chaque année. Il faut aussi constater que les autres équipes se sont améliorées, que notre équipe a subi des blessures et que les Alouettes ne pouvaient marcher sur le reste de la ligue éternellement.

Trestman a imprimé une mentalité qui fonctionne, mais qui exige que les égos soient laissés au vestiaire. Pour des joueurs intenses, la limite est parfois difficile à respecter.

Pour ce qui est de Boulay, il semble à tout le moins avoir une explication. J'aimerais tout de même entendre la version de Boulay avant de me faire une idée.

Don't be surprised if a torrent of these "Trestmanisms" surface after he quits Montreal
Do you know something we do not?!

He doesn't know anything, he never does. He just likes to spout his conspiracy theories and pretend that he's some sort of locker-room informant with inside information. And as usual, he drags Avon Cobourne into the discussion, when it is well-known that Trestman not only wanted Avon back, but guaranteed him the starter's job before training camp. Avon chose to go to Hamilton for a higher base salary. Nobody forced him out.

Funny that a coach enforcing discipline is somehow proof that he's a dictator. As LeStaf pointed out, Wally Buono, one of the greatest coaches the CFL has ever seen, is definitely a disciplinarian. Hufnagel in Calgary is no shrinking violet either. I have no problem with Trestman's stance on Boulay and Anderson. The former showed up to camp out of shape; the latter has been an off-field distraction, and a big disappointment on the field (how many times did he get caught peeking into the backfield and blow coverage, leading to a huge gain and/or TD for the opposition? how many PI calls?). We don't need players like this.

You can repeat that until you're blue in the face and it will make no difference, he just refuses to acknowledge those facts.

Now how about this. . . if, say, Cobourne had agreed to that and not left as a free agent, and if, because of that, Whitaker got tired of waiting for his chance (as a certain backup QB is claimed to be), and he left instead of Cobourne, and ended up on another CFL team and was leading the league in rushing for that other team (as he's doing for the Als this season), do you think our resident expert would have been in here whining all season about how we let Whitaker get away a la Owens, Hawkins, Taylor, et al ?

To disciplineandpunish and MadJack:

Well said/written.

Richard

Fans come in all size, shapes, faiths :wink:

Please, guys win this weekend, please !

Despite my criticisms of our coaches this season, I still have a gut faith in our ability to win a game against all odds. I don't think we'll win this weekend, but I'm not ruling it out either. Just when you think this team is dead in the water, it surprises you. :slight_smile:

OH YEAH! BARRISTER MADJACK PUTS FORTH A GREAT HYPOTHASIS!!! NO OFFENSE TO SENIOR/NOSTRE, BUT LOOKS LIKE THE MAN HAS A GOOD POINT! NO POSTS BY THE SENIOR IN THE LAST DAY? MAYBE SENIOR IS STUMPED?! MAYBE SENIOR IS SPEECHLESS? YOU DON’TS SEE THAT EVERY DAY!

JOHNNY HOPES THIS AINT THE END OF SENIOR. JOHNNY AGREES WITH SENIOR MOSTS OF THE TIME. BUT, SOMETIMES SENIOR GETS ****ON ON PLAYER AND CANTS COOL OFF.

Its a playoff game really. So we'll see how ready the team is. Win or lose it also nice for the team to get familiar with the new stadium in the event that we make it back.

Agreed. I'd sure like the team not to enter the postseason on a three-game losing streak, but I thought we had no momentum last season, and we ended up winning it all. We'll see if the team can dig deep and rediscover consistency on both sides of the ball, and that goes for the coaches as well as the players.

No
I didn't support Whitaker
I thought at the time and continue to believe that Cobourne is the best all-round back in the league
Calvillo's recent "summits" with terra-firma are testament enough to that

If Whitaker had left and done well
I might well have been pissed
But I saw little evidence of his talent at the time
My bad I guess

It mystifies me still
Best I can figure
Whitaker is better than Cobourne
At exploiting a defense focused on the pass
And shocked when we run

Or maybe he's that good
Certainly had a great season