Henry Burris now coaching in training camp with Chicago Bears

Surprise?

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/former-cfl-star-quarterback-henry-185532568.html

Well he's turned every CFL team around time to turn around some NFL ones too.

6 Likes

Just a training camp coach. Tells us though he may have coaching in his sights.

Henry Burris to join Chicago Bears coaching staff for training camp

Is Burris just a complete blowhard, or he is publicly disrespecting the CFL a week after his Hall of Fame announcement? (Answer can be “both”.)

“People have asked me if I ever wanted to coach and I can say, in the back of my mind, I’ve always had this dream about coaching and being involved in the game and I always said, the one place, if I did coach, it would have to be the NFL,” he said. “Doing an internship with the Chicago Bears, my old team I played with in 2002 and '03, to be back here, it’s something.”

hmmmm…its tone deaf for sure at minimum. But honest I guess. Certainly the NFL makes it more financially rewarding for such a nomad profession.

But I am surprised he said that given his career. And boy was he ever awful when he played for the Bears. He makes it sound like they were really his team. He was brutal.

2 Likes

Possibly the biggest narcissist the league has ever seen.

1 Like

The Chicago Bears have 25 coaches on their staff. Burris is not one of those 25 . A guest coach is really a volunteer position that may expose your resume to NFL teams .
Meanwhile , Hank should not burn any bridges in the CFL if he hopes for a coaching career.

Pat Lynch (the old guy)

HILARIOUS !!! (That’s just the way he says it)

actually, he says he HELPED turn SOME teams around

Sorry, FYB. Here’s the quote:

Henry Burris to be on TSN panel he once told to “shove it”

AND IT SEEMS LIKE ME, HERE I AM, PLAYING HARD, TRYING TO TURN AROUND EVERY TEAM IN THIS LEAGUE. FOR PEOPLE OUT THERE, I’VE TURNED AROUND FOUR TEAMS IN THIS LEAGUE. AND I’VE HELPED DO IT HERE TOO. SO FOR ALL THOSE PEOPLE TALKING JUNK OUT THERE, YOU CAN TAKE THAT AND SHOVE IT, ALL RIGHT? THAT’S ALL I’VE GOT TO SAY!”

he is TRYING to turn around every team, not actually did
he has turned around 4 teams, not every team
he has HELPED turn around the current team.

Long way from actually turned every team.

Just to be clear on Hank’s wording - hes saying he has already completed the task of turning 4 teams around… and its like hes TRYING to turn around every team in this league.

But there’s no disputing that he said he has turned around 4 teams in this league. Which is very debatable.

Still an absurd statement to make.

1 Like

The savior for every football franchise. The only thing Burris has saved is his insatiable appetite to stroke his ego.

1 Like

You can't deny his accomplishments in OTT. Most would say it was a team effort, but Burris was arguably the team member most responsible for their early success.

In both SSK and HAM, the team's won-lost record was worse the year he became the starter (2004 and 2012, respectively) than the year prior.

In CAL, the record improved significantly the year he joined (2005), but then slid for the next two years until Hufnagel came on board. One could argue that the switch from Dunigan to Higgins as head coach in 2005 (plus a weird ownership situation previously) played a bigger role in the team's results.

That’s the way I always saw it.

I think most here are being way to hard on a guy who played 18 years in Canada.. First ballot HOF. Never in trouble. Lives in Canada. Is now a Canadian citizen. He gave one weird emotional interview to TSN in the heat of the moment and has been roasted for it ever since.

It’s not just once. His tirades against Simoni for the completely LEGAL and CLEAN hit on his “knee” (in reality, his upper thigh). That’s just one more example.

Ya I remember that hit too. Delivered by the multiple offender Simoni Lawrence who is arguably the dirtiest player in the CFL now that Heibert is gone.
I saw it as a deliberate attempt to injure but he just missed his target by about an inch. Players should speak out.

1 Like

He would have had a much better record in 2012 if the Casey Creehan defence wasn’t so brutal. There was about 5 or 6 games where the Burris led offence put up 30+ points and still lost. With a competent defence that 2012 team could have been a contender.

I agree, but Henry only chose to speak out when he perceived something was possibly directed his way. He never spoke out about the actions of his team against others, even when those actions resulted in actual injuries and real penalties.

“No place in football” should have meant more than no place that Henry happened to be occupying?