Henry Burris may be coming to town

GREAT MOVE WE ARE GETTING BETTER … To compliment this move next is GC from the Bills

hmmm...is it safe to assume that Porter is the designated backup for 2012, or does Obie have other plans/trades in the works?

The Bombers have two quality backups (if Pierce remains #1) in Brink and Elliott, and a straight trade involving possibly Porter for Brink may inspire both to do well in a new environment.

IMO, Brink has the tools to be a starter in this league with a some playing time, however am not similarly convinced with Porter as evidenced during his tenure in TabbieTown.

Porter is our backup I bet he stays .. Kahari Jones is next on the chopping block

if burris was released, he'd be a free agent. you make it seem that he'd be in the draft.
and toronto with Ray would not be interested in his services. neither would saskatchewan, who are content with Durrant.
sask would not bring back a hated ex player who is near 10 years older then their current QB.

i really think Hamilton and winnipeg were the only 2 teams in play for Burris.
fearing a move from the bombers likely forced obie to jump the gun and make this move.

i still like the thought of Burris in black and gold, and it didn't cost obie too much, as glenn was not in the ticat's future anyways. so it is essentially Burris for dewitt.

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but my understanding is that when a player is released, each team in reverse order of the standings can pick him up at his existing contract. . . and if no team does, THEN he becomes a free agent and can sign a new contract with any team.

If I am not mistaken, Jones' contract is up and is actually being courted by SSK and WPG as their OC.

i've never heard that before and cannot find anything that says that on the web.
if you find something on that, please post it.

Also looks like Stevie Baggs got released. Signing Burris will have some repercussions come free agency as well.

I don't get the sense of optimism that so many feel regarding this trade. If this was happening after the 2010 season I would be hoping that his shocking decline in performance during the last few games of that season could be rectified. But what did he show at any point in 2011 to make us think that he's an upgrade over what we have? How will overpaying for a QB who is nearing the end of his career affect the club's ability to afford the fixes we have to make (spots in both lines, one or two secondary players, and free agency losses)?

where did you see this? link?

Where is this coming from??.. Link please!

Is this a fact HfxTC? Any link?

l

Madjack, I don't believe Calgary would release Henry before Feb 1st,

I think they would put him on recallable[?]waivers to see who is interested

and then teams in the reverse order of how they finished in the standing

could try sign him [or work out a trade [?] before they would release him outright.

That may be what actually happened.

drummer_god said

"i still like the thought of Burris in black and gold, and it didn't cost obie too much, as glenn was not in the ticat's future anyways. so it is essentially Burris for dewitt."

I fully agree it is essentially Burris for DeWitt.

It is important in a trade that you get the best player in the trade and IMHO Burris is a better QB than Glenn and Glenn is a very good QB!

Better is better. :thup:

Thanks ron, that may be it. . .

Henry Burris is a more accurate passer than Kevin Glenn and is not afraid to run with the football. :thup:

Lets hope age doesn't get in his way. :roll:

sportsnet is reporting Burris has agreed to a $100,000 paycut with the tabbies.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/20 ... mps_trade/

Burris has apparently agreed to restructure his salary of more than $400,000 to $300,000, but will receive a $100,000 signing bonus, sources tell Sporstnet.ca. He was due a signing bonus of $60,000 on February 1

so, this becomes a paycut that doesn't take effect until next season?
still gets $400,000 this year and $300,000 every season after?

Thanks for the link drummer_god.

Time for Burris to show the league what side the bread is buttered on.

Burris has apparently agreed to restructure his salary of more than $400,000 to $300,000, but will receive a $100,000 signing bonus
so essentially, Burris loses zilch.

Left out the part about the 100k signing bonus. So he gets 100+300 for his first year and extends for two more at 300k. So he still gets his 400k in 2012 and the Cats get a commitment for 3 years.