Help pick a name for a Halifax based team

The HARBOURMASTERS!!!!!!

LOL You took my joke stalik76, I was just about to post that.
That makes 2 of us.
seriously, I think Atlantic Moosemen would be the only thing that would work.
Why, because 1.the team will need the entire Maritimes to support the team finaicially and 2. the team will need a corperate name to keep them from going into the red.
I hate to say this again but I will anyway, It will be a up hill battle to keep a team in Halifax, but it can be done.
Everything counts.
Sell Sell Sell

Calling a team "Atlantic" to supposedly get the support of a very few extremists who wouldn't support it otherwise is about as crazy as wishing people Happy Holidays because the word Christmas sets them off. I have a better idea, let's name the team "Canada". That way, anyone who lives in a place without a team will automatically cheer for them. The new team would,by the logic of those who believe they have to be called Atlantic or Maritime, have fans stretching from Newfoundland to the Alberta-BC border.

the HARBOURMSTERS!!!!!!

Well then C way, lets see Halifax do it without the other Maritime provinces then.
If they can do it, then I will take my hats off to them… however, that may piss alot of people off in Dartsmouth since the stadium will be there and not in Halifax.
So lets just call them the Dartsmouth Ruffriders and not allow the other provinces any part in it.

Halifax would include Dartmouth. It is part of HRM.

PRIVATEERS!!!

I never said the team had to be called Halifax. I'm fine with Nova Scotia. As for fan support, I would bet 98% of the fans at any given game would come from the Halifax metro area and central Nova Scotia. As for sponsors, it is more important to reach out to business than it is to sacrifice your identity. For proof of this, look at the Montreal Alouettes, who enjoy support from the entire province of Quebec.

One question, does the fact the Bombers are named Winnipeg mean people and businesses in other parts of Manitoba don't support them?

I tend to agree with you but for the name I actually like Explosion. To sportyguy03 if the team was based lets say in Point Pleasant Park and called the Dartmouth Destroyers i am sure you be the first one to scream that it is actually in Halifax and not Dartmouth so shouldn’t they get the same right I am sure you would expect whether or not you are part of the HRM. Therefore it should be called the Atlantic something which would include NFLD/LBR which is not technically part of the Maritimes. Another name could be the Tide but that could easily be misconstued with the soap company but aslo the area does have the highest tides in the world. I may now live in SK but I am from CB so am not totally unfamilial with the area. I really hope for a team down there no matter what the name or location and only support whatever is decided in the name dept. Just lets get the ball rolling ASAP, I would like to go to a game there in my lifetime.

Ahhh. Now these name suggestions are going somewhere. Instead of "Destroyers", how about "Corvettes"? Please don't remind me that it's the name of a junk car. Canadian Corvettes were the toughest ships of WW2.

Problem with that name is that people will associate them with the car.

As for explosion!

I have a serious problem naming a team after an event that killed 1,500, injured 9,000, damaged more than 13,000 homes and businesses and left 6000 homeless

The Halifax-Dartmouth rivalry is pretty intense. Remember all of the violent protests when it was announced that the Commonwealth Games bid was going to be called Halifax 2014 instead of Dartmouth 2014 (despite the fact that the stadium and aquatic centre would be in Dartmouth). It was amazing no one was killed. Seriously, a person from a metro area usually identifies themself as being from the largest city in that area. If someone from Etobicoke flies to Vancouver and someone there asks where he's from, he will likely answer Toronto.

If it was in Point Pleasant Park, it should be called Halifax yes. But HRM is Halifax Regional Municapalty, which includes Dartmouth, so why not call it “Halifax”? Dartmouth is still included. If it was Dartmouth Regional Municapalty, fine call it Dartmouth but its not.

Not that I’m saying it shouldn’t be “Nova Scotia”, I think that would be fine.

I still like the Atlantic Schooners the best.

I don't know why Beer Barons thinks a team in Halifax should be called Atlantic instead of Halifax or Nova Scotia, yet a team in Milwaukee shouldn't be called Wisconsin. Also consider that Milwaukee is only about 40 miles north of the Wisconsin-Illinois border, so by your own logic, you're excluding fans that live there. The NS-NB border is about 3 times that far from Halifax.

There is a difference between Milwaukee and Halifax Cway.
Let me explain.
Wisconsin has the Greenbay Packers, and the Badgers that play out of Madison. Milwaukee does not have a team so it is fit to call The Beer Barons Milwaukees team.
Milwaukee is also 5 times the size of Halifax.
Halifax is a different story all together. There is no big league team in all the Atlantic provinces.
Could the team simply be called the Halifax Schooners and survive...well sure, but as I said, the more support the better.

If the team is nicknamed Schooners, I prefer Nova Scotia Schooners. All I am saying is that I want a Halifax team to be treated like everyone else. To not name a team after it's city or it's province diminishes it's identity. There is no Atlantic on the map. There is the Atlantic Ocean and Atlantic City, NJ. If the team doesn't end up getting support and ends up folding, the name won't make any difference. The money exists in Halifax to keep a CFL team, it's only a matter of getting the support out. This is not only my opinion, but that of many others as well, including tose within the CFL that have pushed for Halifax.

:thup: That is an excellent point.

Ok cway, Lets look at two things here.

1. Marketing.
    Atlantic is a region. IE the Atlantic coast.
    If I was the owner of the Schooners, I would want all 4 provinces involved in this for a greater TV market. Having the other maritime provinces represented would increase the TV market thus increasing sales of advertisment.
    Sales from merchandise will be multiplied by 4x.
    Out of town fans will increase (Maybe not alot) but the fans that do come in would ticket sales and the economy.
    I myself would not mind either way, I just want more CFL teams.

Now 2. You said
"The money exists in Halifax to keep a CFL team, it's only a matter of getting the support out."
Where is this money? I dont know of anyone who is interested in putting a team there.
Halifax does not even have a stadium.
Even though I beleave that Halifax has a good chance at getting the games, we should not count our chickens befor they are hatched.
So assuming that the stadium is not a issue, where is the Money for a team going to come from?