Help me understand Marshall Ferguson...

So I am sitting in the stands last night and have a radio tuned to the radio play- by-play. Marsh keeps saying, "Masoli simulates the snap count," as JM calls out the numbers.

WHAT IN THE WORLD does that mean? JM is giving the snap count. He does't appear to be faking it and leaving the team clueless.

Can anybody explain this new bit of football lingo???

I wonder if it is when the receivers all run towards the line, and then stop and wander back to position? Kind of back-fired on the one play, when the whole backfield was about 5 yards offside! Something to do with reading coverages?

Simple... it's the cadence version of fake news.

Masoli is seen by many as the best at drawing the other team offside by making it seem like he's calling for the snap when he isn't.

I don't really know what that means. But I know that every other team in the league now has a complete audio recording of Masoli's signal calling that they can study as they prepare to play us.

Over time, I suppose we will have recordings of all of them as well. Just not for as long as they have recordings of us (and WPG - who will soon switch back to their regular QB).

It's about watching the Defencive motion in response to the Offence's motion. He can tell if it will be man or zone coverage, what the linebackers will be doing, etc.

Thank you folks who helped. I guess that my problem is the use of the word 'simulate' as it's precise meaning isn't directly applicable here.... but why would I go to a football game and expect a dictionary to break out?

You know he can change his cadence right? Half the time it's a silent timed count, so on those plays his cadence is irrelevant to his own teammates, so he can yell out anything.

Yeah, I know that.

So are you saying the full audio of every word Masoli said in the huddle and every word he said at the line of scrimmage, matched with video of the plays themselves, is of zero value to other teams? Offers no insight into how our plays are structured, or different variations that may branch out of the same play call depending on what the defence does?

What's said in the huddle is relevant during that game, but some of it possibly/probably changes game to game. Kind of like signals in baseball, although a bit more complex.

I think audibles, i.e., play changes, at the line of scrimmage follow the same or similar calling codes as in the huddle, but may include other keywords that tell the team whether it's an actual change.

The timing of the snap calls, the cadence, may or may not be relevant, and is used to mask the actual timing of the snap and often designed to draw the other team offside or to at least give away their coverages by getting them to jump early.

I know that I have an inherent bias against soccer and soccer players. Having the quarterbacks miked and hearing the complicated calls, I couldn't help but think of how truly simple the so-called beautiful game is . Football playbooks used to be as thick as Webster's dictionary but now they're probably all on personal devices. Real football is very complicated when played well while rolling on the grass while feigning injury, not so much !

Somehow the thought of some guy from Argentina calling out formations, blocking schemes, the play choice, snap count, and then a possible audible is beyond comprehension all within 20 seconds.

I love watching real football being played by chess masters while others play checkers.

Pat Lynch ( did I mention that I don't like soccer?)

I prefer watching gridiron football to watching soccer, but you've got things backwards regarding complexity. Simple rules do not necessarily lead to simple strategy. A more apt analogy would be that gridiron football is like Chess, while soccer is like Go.

And the distasteful way soccer players fish for penalties has no bearing on the strategic complexity of the game they're playing.

If you ever actually played the game of soccer then you might have had an appreciation for it.

Yeah there is gamesmanship in every sport. There is all kinds of diving in hockey and you got CFL receivers who know they trapped a ball with the turf yet appeal to the ref that it's a good catch. The diving in all sports will slowly be weeded out now that Video Reviews are available to help refs.