Helmet to Helmet contact or the Asassination of Buck Pierce

I ranted about this in another thread ... but with the news that Pierce was knocked out of the game I believe it deserves a full fleshing out.

Quite simply put - any contact with or by a defenders' helmet should constitute a major penalty ... any contact with or by a defenders' helmet with another players helmet / head should be an automatic EJECTION!!!

From the very first tackle football practice I ever had as an 8 year old atom player - to the very last tackle football practice I ever had at University; tackling was coached to consist of head to the side, shoulders in the numbers, wrapping up with the arms, and driving the player into the ground.

I am so fed up and sick of these so-called 'professional' football players head hunting and driving the top of their helmets into the chin of exposed QB's and Receivers ... it is complete BUSH LEAGUE, totally disrespectful, and has no room, whatsoever, in football at any level - never mind the Pro level !!!

It is becoming rampant all over football fields in North America, at all levels ... it is NOT FOOTBALL ... it is disgraceful and must be eliminated. It is sickening to watch players get laid out, knocked unconscious, and obliterated by some punk who has no idea how to deliver a clean, devastating football hit ...

It is time to make this a PRIORITY !

I don't want to hear this nonsense about 'speed of the game' blah blah blah - we are talking about a technique - we are talking about a simple rule - DON'T USE YOUR HELMET ... take a look at that hit on Pierce - that punk a$$ defender rammed the top of his helmet right under the chin of Buck - totally reprehensible !! He could just as easily have put his head to the side, buried his shoulder pads into Buck's numbers, wrapped him up - and filled him into the ground ... but he took the COWARDS way out and delivered a completely bull$hit hit ...

NO MORE !!

On top of the game ejection - the player ought to be fined the max allowed under the CBA, and suspended for the next game too !!

Peace.

I agee 100 percent that was a cowardly hit.

...lol, wasn't expecting that

i disagree
it wasnt headhunting
he ran straight into him, he hit him everywhere, the head was just incidental contact

"the head was just incidental contact" Are you for real?!!! Shultzie said it best when he said Isaac practices hitting and is a trained professional and knowes exactly what he was doing.
That was a dirty hit and Isaac should be fined and suspended. The Bombers should make a complaint to the CFL.

He had plenty of time to let up or step off or hit with the doby only but instead he chose to PUT HIS HEAD DOWN and get Buck under the chin. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

I don't think it was head hunting either but I will say it was just close to the edge of being head hunting. But that is the nature of a contact sport like football. Too much of the entire body was used to make it really nasty, like a spear which this wasn't. But it was close though and was edging on disrespect and dirty. That's the kind of player I want on my team although if it was agains't my quarterback, I'd be upset as well. Someone who will lay on a good licking edging on nastiness, kind of players you want though.

It is football, you hit a guy to hurt him not to injure him. Same as the hit on AC at the end of the game on Friday. It sucks when your QB gets hit but it is part of contact football.

running 30-40 km/h you have very very little time to aim your hit.
imo the hitter was clearly trying to go head to chest like a normal tackle (not spearing) and simply mistimed it.

running 30-40 km/h you have very very little time to aim your hit.
Total bull$hit ... his head should be nowhere near Buck's chin, PERIOD. END OF STORY. For crying out loud, Buck was PLANTED in the ground - he was stationery !!! What does the speed of approach have ANYTHING to do with it !!

Anybody who defends this hit on Pierce is either a sadist, or someone who has no freaking clue how to play the game of football, or both.

To equate a helmet to helmet hit with ‘toughness’, or some kind of desired ‘nastiness’ in a defender is totally wrong headed, and a detriment to the game of football. I love a devastating hit as much as anybody - but using your helmet in ANYWAY to do it is completely antithetical to ‘tough’, ‘hard-nosed’ football. In fact it is completely the opposite.

Recalling last week - there were another two examples of complete COWARDLY hits on Schaub, and Heyward-Bay - two hits that deserved $50K fines and suspensions. The hit on Pierce was every bit as disgusting.

...and the award for hyperbole goes to... :roll:

...seriously, Buck is Mr. Glass, you just breath on him and he breaks...

Hyperbole, eh ?

Let's put it this way ... after your silly comment - I would like to see you set up like a tackling dummy, and have Issac hit you EXACTLY like Buck was ... then we'll see if you could even THINK the word hyperbole, let alone type it.

Like the HC of Winnipeg said - there probably isn't a QB in the league that could have survived that hit.

All the pseudo tough guys that think the hit was somehow justifiable are a complete joke, and that ain't hyperbole.

You are out to lunch... it was a football play, and just like anyone else on the field, QBs can get hurt... would it appease you if he had a seperated shoulder or a broken leg?

I sure hope it happens to other Quarterbacks in the cfl and they get badly hurt. What goes around comes around. :thup:

If you want to see how it is done, look at Ferri’s sacking of Lulay, picture perfect, shoulder to the numbers, driven to the ground. He could have easily teed off into his chin too, if he wanted too. Pretty clear the Pierce hit was an unnecessary shot to the head.

You are out to lunch... it was a football play,
I'm out to lunch ? Show me the instructional video where a player is COACHED to lead with his head ... yet another example of someone who has no clue how to play the game of football.

For the rest of you - do me a favour - if you have never played the game football - then keep out of the thread.

If you want to see how it is done, look at Ferri's sacking of Lulay, picture perfect, shoulder to the numbers, driven to the ground. He could have easily teed off into his chin too, if he wanted too. Pretty clear the Pierce hit was an unnecessary shot to the head.
Nice to see someone who GETS IT.

LOL, how quick the story would change!

No QB in the league has taken more brutal hits than Buck, amazing he so often gets back up to play. If that was AC or Glenn, they'd be pasted on the ground for 30 minutes, trainers & stretchers and all. Yet all Buck wanted to do was get back in. Funny some people still think he can't take a hit. He takes hits better than any other QB. It's just that the other teams have taken liberties with him for a few years now, knowing they can get away with it.
Eye for an eye is the only way to stop it.

Apparently, you must have been a QB that has taken one too many shots to the head... the fact that Buck wanted to go back into the game shows that the hit looked worse than it actually was...

You are right. I would love to see if AC or Glen get up from that hit. Fact is they wouldn't. I find it funny they blame Buck but I blame the officals for allowing dirty hits like this to continue. I sure hope to see some other teams QB get hit like that.

I wish your QB takes a shot like that.Easy to talk all tough when your QB dosen't take a dirty hit like that.

...what a pathetic stance to take, to wish injury on someone out of some misguided vengeance issue...childish and sickening