Heisman Winner's TiCat Connectons

Copied from Wikipedia on Marcus Mariota:

Early life
Mariota is of Samoan descent. He was born in Honolulu to Toa Mariota and Alana Deppe-Mariota. He grew up idolizing the quarterback play of Jeremiah Masoli, a fellow Samoan American, who was also a standout quarterback at the all-boys Catholic St. Louis High and University of Oregon.[3]

Timmy Chang also attended St. Louis High.

I'll trade you a Masoli and 2 Changs for 1 Marcus Mariota! :cowboy:

I’ll take that trade, then turn it around for a starting NI Centre.

In all seriousness, has there been a Heisman-Trophey winner that has been a success in the CFL? Seems to me that they have all been a horrible bust, at least in recent memory…

And Tee Martin busted, not a Heisman trophy winner but a very good college qb at the time. Couldn't do it in the CFL.

The biggest bust of all was probably that Doug Flutie guy…at least I think that was his name.

It's not a CFL thing. The Heisman Trophy has almost been a "curse" for many who have moved onto professional football. Here's an interesting list.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/645192-college-football-history-the-15-worst-heisman-trophy-winners-of-all-time]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6451 ... f-all-time[/url]

I'd say 9 out of the last 25 Heisman Winners can be credited with above average pro careers. I've given the last 3 a wait and see. (Griffin, Manziel & Winston)

That means 13 have been disappointments.

Here's the list of the last 25. Make your own decisions.

1987 Tim Brown Notre Dame YES
1988 Barry Sanders† Oklahoma State YES
1989 Andre Ware Houston NO
1990 Ty Detmer BYU NO
1991 Desmond Howard Michigan NO
1992 Gino Torretta Miami NO
1993 Charlie Ward Florida State NO
1994 Rashaan Salaam Colorado NO
1995 Eddie George Ohio State YES
1996 Danny Wuerffel Florida NO
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan YES
1998 Ricky Williams Texas YES
1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin NO
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State NO
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska NO
2002 Carson Palmer* USC YES
2003 Jason White Oklahoma NO
2004 Matt Leinart USC NO
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State NO
2007 Tim Tebow Florida NO
2008 Sam Bradford* Oklahoma YES
2009 Mark Ingram, Jr. Alabama YES
2010 Cam Newton* Auburn YES
2011 Robert Griffin III Baylor ???
2012 Johnny Manziel Texas A&M ???
2013 Jamies Winston Florida State ???

Heisman winners and runners-up who came to Canada:

http://cfl-scrapbook.no-ip.org/CFL-Heisman.php

I loved watching that tough SOB Troy Davis run the ball.
An almost Heisman winner playing for the Argos:
Salaam was signed by the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL) on February 20, 2004. He was then suspended by the Argos in May, effectively ending his career.

While I have a “good” football memory, it cannot compare to yours, O Mighty One… lol

Not being a follower of US College football, I only hear of the trophy-winners as they relate to game broadcasts. Because of that, I didn’t know that Doug Flutie and Troy Davis had won the award (probably because Dougie played for the blew team) and no broadcaster had anything good to say about the Tiger-Cats regarding Troy.

Troy Davis wasn't a Heisman Winner? Troy Smith of the Alouettes was however.

I’d give Desmond Howard a YES – Super Bowl MVP and star returner…

Ya, I remember him. He wasn’t very good at all. What a bust

Troy Davis was on one of the lists as a Heisman runner-up

Interesting little tidbit about Joe Theismann.
Theismann was an All-American and an Academic All-America, and was in contention for the Heisman Trophy. Theismann, whose last name was actually pronounced “Theesman”, recounted in 2007 that it was Notre Dame publicity man Roger Valdiserri who insisted that he change the pronunciation of his name to rhyme with “Heisman”, but he finished second to Jim Plunkett of Stanford University in the voting.