Head to Head: Who has the edge in the 109th Grey Cup?

With the Toronto Argonauts and Winnipeg Blue Bombers travelling to Regina for the right to hoist the 109th Grey Cup, I’ve been breaking down the head to head advantages for each personnel grouping for the CFL playoffs over the last three weeks.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/11/15/head-to-head-who-has-the-edge-in-the-109th-grey-cup/

I’d say they got it pretty close… Looks fairly evenly matched to me… Weather is going to play a factor as it’s expected to be pretty crisp on Sunday… Field advantage, turnovers as usual will matter… Add also add a category of experience in big games… Advantage Winnipeg on that one…:blue_heart::yellow_heart:

Mr Ferguson, I humbly submit you're being way too generous to Toronto.
They've eked most of their wins this year against much more inferior opponents in the East than what Winnipeg faced in the West.
Even the semi final against Montreal was more Montreal losing it and playing sloppy ball, than Toronto winning it.
If Montreal showed up the way they did against Hamilton the week before it's a whole different outcome.
Also, they don't play or live in the cold that's in the prairies already.
They don't have the receiving core, or the intensity and team wide focus Winnipeg has right now.
I was amazed how that team had each other back, and the line follows their mates down the field blocking and such in ways none of the other teams do.
I know you have to keep things interesting but Winnipeg has been on a mission.

2 Likes

This Toronto team reminds me a lot of the 2019 Blue Bombers when (even though finishing 3rd) were heading into the playoffs playing their best football. The Argos have looked really good down the stretch and although I'm hopeful Winnipeg will prevail, I certainly won't underestimate Toronto. Go Blue

1 Like

McLeod Bethel-Thompson - might be playing his best football but his emotional approach could be his downfall in the Grey Cup. I wasn't impressed with his antics on the sidelines yelling at and almost fighting with the coaches in the east final.

2 Likes

Have to agree here, and not just him. How many times this season has there been sideline circus midgame?
In that sense they are nothing like the 2019 Bombers.

1 Like

Can Toronto do what BC couldn't?
If TO can't run, they ain't even going to be close.

1 Like

I love how Bethel-Thomson triggers Peggers.

Knock Collaros on his ass.

Winnipeg has no answer without him.

It's true I guess, we've become accustomed to a certain level of professionalism the past few years. :smiley:

2 Likes

i can’t conceive of a universe where the Argos have the edge in any aspect of this game.

1 Like

....but Toronto has fluked off a few Grey Cup wins in their "not loosing a grey cup since 1987" run.
Not calling the Argos the winner but strange things seem to happen when they play Grey cups.

2 Likes

They don’t. But we all know any team can win any one game. Turnovers could kill the Bombers. If not I don’t see the Argos having much of a chance. It’s a shame they Easterned their way into the big game while the two best teams in the country played last week.

3 Likes

Winnipeg is a very tight team. They keep saying they are family. They have the most motivational coach since Pinball. Advantage: Winnipeg.

Doesn't really matter if MBT triggers fans. He certainly won't trigger the Bomber players with his antics. But he may trigger his coaches. Lol!

2 Likes