Have you ever had this feeling?

Ok, I love gridiron football, like most of us here. And I live in Hamilton with a CFL team. But it's weird, our IT guy at work here makes it a big point to me that he doesn't like football and a few other people as well. Hey, I've never pushed football down anyone's throat here and only talk to people about it who are interested. It's almost like some of the people here are jealous some of us like football and they don't or don't know how to like it. Weird.

Hell, imagine when you DON'T have a team!

I get weird looks when I say I go to CIS or junior football games, yet thousands of people go see the 67's play junior hockey. I don't get it.

Interesting CRF.

football is a very complicated sport to follow if you know nothing about it

the general complaints are, the play last for 5 seconds, i don't understand the penalties, in the NFL there are too many teams, i don't know the players, the tickets are too expensive, etc etc.

Football is a game that I grew up loving and now follow both the CFL and NFL religiously. It's a sport that is part strategy, finesse and brute stength.

You should take your IT guy to a game and explain it to him...........or get him football for dummies!

Too bad there’s no “Canadian Football for Dummies”. Maybe Shultzie could write it? (I know, I know, not a big enough market for it…)

Actually, I experienced that type of reaction more with non/anti-baseball people.

"It's boring", "The games take too long", "Too much standing around", "Not enough teams make the play-offs"

Football seems to have a broader appeal. Let's face it, many women first got interested in the sport due to the rather tight fitting pants. After that, it's basically the ol' "I've got the ball, I'm trying to get it into your endzone...just try and stop me". All the rest are details to be filled in later.

The thing that I have trouble digesting is the Canadian football fan who only watches the NFL (on television at that). Then there is the non-sports fan who will however participate in the office NFL pool and/or attend a Super Bowl party, but not a Grey Cup celebration.

The thing that I have trouble digesting is the Canadian football fan who only watches the NFL (on television at that). Then there is the non-sports fan who will however participate in the office NFL pool and/or attend a Super Bowl party, but not a Grey Cup celebration

True Ockham. And I find with some of these guys if you even mention the TiCats or "did you watch that game between the Bombers and Lions last night" have to say something like "who watches that crap", they have to go out of their way and be in your face with this. Idiots. I tell you, I think it's a form of jealousy that we love the CFL and these guys as Canadians can't get into it.

I can recall many many years ago, I was dating a lady who was a very recent arrival in Canada and knew nothing about football.

After watching a bit of a game, her description of it was "they get in a circle and share a secret, then they line up facing each other and everyone falls down."

To explain football to an IT guy, perhaps describing it as chess with real people might help him relate.

I don't find it weird at all. Some people don't like football in particular, or sports in general. They don't have to. I suppose they ought not to make a huge noise about it to a fan, but then it works the other way too.... we shouldn't blather on and on about something they aren't interested in either.

I'll watch a CFL game anytime. NFL, or hockey, or baseball, I usually don't watch until near the end of the season or if a favourite team is playing. I'll watch a final round of golf or tennis match too. Mind you, there are few times I would interrupt something else that's important in my life just to watch sports on TV. A Ticat game is an exception of course.

My sons don't care to watch much sports, and my wife and daughter wouldn't watch if you paid them. Doesn't bother me at all. To each his or her own. I make my choices, they make theirs. Nothing weird about that.

Yeah, but all that is true. :wink:

Earl, would you get the same reaction if you said you can't wait for tonight's Giants/Redskins game? Is it a CFL thing or football in general for you?

Football is a pretty complicated game. I never really thought about it, but in my first year of college I had a Nigerian room mate who had never seen a football game. I was explaining it to him and his buddy as we watched the Cats and Bombers. I didn't realize how much there is to know about a play and why they do certain things until I started explaining it to them. They found it pretty difficult at first but were very interested. Although I wouldn't want to explain it again during a game, because it is very distracting.