Have to post this, done by a well known CFL basher

From another forum from someone who bashes Canadian football and the CFL and longs for the NFL to come here. Have to admit, it is a bit humourous and not to be taken seriously really:

'Twas the night before Grey Cup, when all through the town

Every creature was stirring, acting the clown;

The banners were hung by the stadium with care,

In hopes that the Giants or the Colts soon would be there;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

While visions of Manning and Favre danced in their heads;

Mamma in her 'Jets top, and I in my Giants’cap,

Had just settled down for a short little nap,

When out in the street there arose such a clatter,

I sprang from the couch to see what was the matter.

When, what to my wondering eyes was in store,

But the Bears front four and eight, no seven players more,

With a smaller ball, so lively and quick,

I knew in a moment it was my NFL pick.

More rapid, more quicker, filled with more game,

They whistled, and shouted, and called each by name;

"Now, Peyton! now, Tom! now, Ladanian and Bruschy!

On, Eli! on Keyshone! on, Terrell and Tiki !

To the top of the standings! to the top of the field!

Their names as the best is all but sealed!"

So talk of the Grey Cup amongst the few ,

Really is silly and a pile of doo-doo.

the fact that it was posted by an NFL loving CFL hater means it should be taken seriously as an extreme offense to CFL and CFL fans. Specially the last two lines. I would have a hard time not decking the person if they said that to my face knowing that they really mean it. It would be different if it came from a person who just happened to prefer NFL, but still repected CFL and was just kidding around. Dont get that sense from what you said.

I guess I've just gotten to know this guy over the years and we've sparred back and forth and actually I find it sort of fun to be honest in some ways.
I always say that if someone has gone to great lengths to write something like the above, it really means they are jealous in some way of the CFL or otherwise they would just ignore it. This guy talks a lot of hockey and deep down, I know for a fact that a lot of NHL fans in this country put down the CFL because in their minds they would like something like the CFL for hockey so as not to witness what we have been witnessing for a lot of years, the Stanley Cup being won by American cities. But of course they can't admit that the CFL model might be good for hockey because they only care about the best players, they are too dumb to realize that a national championship is very important for our country, even if it might not be played by what are called the best players. One reason why in the US the Rose Bowl and the national college football championship there, where most guys will never make the NFL, are so huge, actually bigger than the Super Bowl in true meaning I think. Americans know the instrinsic cultural value of a national championship moreso than many Canadians I think for something Canadian.

PS. The guy is a jerk and not a real Canadian at heart, I'll admit, but I guess in some ways I get along with some of these guys since I love putting down hockey and the NHL to them and this gets their goat. I like hockey but it is fun trashing it to big time hockey fans.

…I think you hit the nail on the head about your anonomous friend Earl…he sees the CFL as a threat to his beloved sport and will take great effort to knock it in order to pump his chosen sport up…

R&W, some of these huge hockey guys can't stand that a football game like the Grey Cup gets all this attention, detracting from what they say is the only true symbol of sport Canadiana, the NHL and hockey. It drives them absolutely bananas and you can play with this and really get them going if you want.

the guy sounds like a loser and really has his facts all mixed up..

in reality the Canadian Game is quicker.. less standing around.. 20 instead of 40 seconds.. and Our bigger field means the players have a lot more room to do things and that gives the range and options of plays a bigger setup.

Try running a true 6 pack on a field size of the NFL? forget it, you'd never have enough room.

Hey Earl, I posted a night before poem a couple of weeks back. I don't know if you saw it but it was in response to the media sniping about how some of the games were dull.
Anyway here it is:

Twas the night before the playoffs,
and all thru the night;
the reporter was trying to think of,
something to write.
He liked to criticise the CFL,
whenever he could.
But this year was tough,
things were going too good.

The ownership was solid,
the fans were all there.
There's gotta be something wrong,
he thought with dispair.

One story that, he liked to tell,
was how most of the player's couldn't make the NFL.
But even he, had to admit,
that he'd already written too often about it.

T.V. ratings are down, but the stadium's are mostly full.
Hey! Wait a minute! Haven't some of the games bin
kinda dull?
That's what I'll do, 'bout what I'll be writin'.
About how some of the games haven't bin too excitin'.

The reporter sat back with a satisfied grin.
I'm happiest when I do some CFL bashin'.

Very impressed ruff, I wish I had the creativity in me to be able to do something like that, nice!!

Reffing is bad,
Whining is worse.
It's too bad iceman
Cannot write verse.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My vote for come back post of the year! :thup: