Hats off to the CFL from an American Fan

Along with the fact that kickoff returns play a big part in the CFL, whereas in the NFL, a majority of kickoffs just go as touchbacks. The NFL really needs to do something to address this because it’s pure boredom. I quit watching NFL for the most part 10 years ago and adopted the Eskimos. Way more entertaining…

Baltimore loved Canadian football. I remember seeing a piece on fans going up to Montreal to watch games. It’s always nice to hear appreciation from outside Canada.
Too bad more Canadians prefer the nfl.
The fair catch is the “safe space? of sports.

i still think there is a usa contingent of fans to go see the grey cup each year
all too many people conflate increased money as automatically meaning better play[ers]

altho i do admit it appears nfl ball carriers rb/rec are better trained to carry ball in outside hand
but usa trained qb are all too quick to ‘take a sack’ as that’s how almost all are trained as nfl is a ball control game and 4 down football

It’s not easy being a CFL fan here in the states. People give me funny looks when I mention the fact that I watch it and enjoy it better. I’ve tried to get people to check it out but they are not interested…they are too used to 3 yards and a cloud of dust…stuck in their ways.

1 Like

welcome to cfl even tho’ u root for bad guys … lol

I give thanks for my defection in part to Little Danny Snyder, owner of the Washington Redskins, who ran my beloved NFL team into the ground beginning in 1999, and whose futility continues to this day. After countless years of sub-mediocrity dating back as early as 1993, I pretty much abandoned ship along with quite a few other Redskins fans. Two weeks ago, the Redskins captured a lowly 18% share of their local broadcast market for their game against Dallas - proof that I have plenty of company in my disdain for that despicable little urchin and his perennially pathetic football team. Never would have thought it possible back in the days of Joe Gibbs and Super Bowl rings.

I don’t know how the NFL got it wrong. 3 strikes and your out! Wtf. Also the field is so small most throwing action ends up out of bounds. I want to like the NFL but it doesn’t really have excitement.

NFL has better halftime shows. We’re stuck with the redclaws. The redclaws suck so bad. They are the official worst band in the history of the world. So props NFL!

Just my observations of NFL fans in Canada. The majority of fans that I see, not all, don’t really watch the games but are more interested in the ticker with score updates to see how they are doing in parlay bets or how they are doing in various pools. Most of them couldn’t name two players on either team in a game they are watching on TV. It’s basically all about score updates.

exactly !
its all about betting that makes the nfl popular

Better halftime shows make the NFL a better league
Seriously!!!?
I thought We’re talking football not halftime entertainment

Maybe but it’s been 25 years bro and it was an overdue change.

Welcome to the club sir. I’ve been a fan down here since the 2008 Grey Cup, which was not a good game but I decided to catch it in 2009 and then never looked back.

Also the CFL is way better than this so-called college football crap that is all about ESPN’s chosen.

This has been been down season with all the QB injuries in the CFL though.

And obviously for your team you chose wisely. :smiley:

It was not always this way though.

On the East Coast for those not in Las Vegas, illegal betting was the norm.

Elsewhere no cared about betting lines until a decade ago given the new offshore options via the internet.

I don’t agree at all that it’s always been about gambling amongst your dominant NFL fans.

It was all fantasy amongst the youth before that too and when I lived in Las Vegas over a decade ago.

Thanks.

Wisely or not, they’re my team and right now they are testing my patience.

As a Calgarian at the time, I made the roadie to see the Stamps play the Gold Miners in Sacramento for it’s first regular season CFL game. Talking to the fans, they really liked the game (and that particular game was a doozy, a high scoring shootout). The sports writer in The Sacramento Bee the next day raved about the CFL brand of football. I think where we erred was people tried to compare the two leagues on a quality level when they should have looked at it as DIFFERENT versions of football. Just because the NFL has all the money and hype, it’s doesn’t make it a BETTER league for me but just a DIFFERENT league for me and I enjoy both brands of football.

1 Like