Has Mark Cohon fallen off task as CFL boss?

I've come to the conclusion that the SMS is a waste of time and is unfair to players who already make the least of any sports league, not to mention their contracts are not guarranteed.

I think that while the CFL is a niche league ie. a league where the league is primarily followed in cities with franchises, and a SMS is the best thing to do for a number of reasons, there should be some mechanism whereby if a team wants to spend a million bucks on someone that wouldn't be counted towards the cap, this should be allowed. A franchise player sort of thing.

Agreed!

Like the Designated Player rule in the MLS?
Interesting… there are merits to that. How would you like to see that done? Better yet - start a new thread to discuss.

I think it did, but not in the way you mean.

During the weeks that the Renegades were collapsing, it was often stated that those who don’t like Tom Wright would use the team’s fold as an example of how inefficient he is. Whether he actually had any responsibility didn’t seem all that relevant, just that the team died on “his watch”. So in that sense I think it was a factor.

Earl as you know, we had the franchise rule back in the 90's with the most famous being Flutie, Dunigan and Allen.
I agree with you we need to bring it back again and especially since now the league and all of the teams are as healthy as they have ever been.
In fact I would go one step further, increase the "cap" to $5M and have the roster expand to 50 for the team and 46 actually playing(up from the current 46 and 42).

Do we know for a fact that every team made money this year?

If not, and there are still teams losing money, then for crying out loud don’t install a rule which allows them to spend another 1M on top of what they’re already losing. And even if they have enough sense to not overspend, those that can spend that extra coin now have an advantage over those that don’t.

What great benefit do you see from bringing back this rule?

I don't have the answers because I really don't know the full financial health of all the teams but you have to allow some way for a team to spend extra money on one player that doesn't count towards the cap.

Yes argotom, if it is financially possible to do what you say, that would be great. The benefit of this is strictly putting more bums in the seats for a franchise that says bringing in this one player will pay dividends. I think Rocket Ismail helped the Argos back in the early 90's with this although interestingly, Ricky Williams, with the big name, didn't really.

Oh, I think the BOG used it as the “public” excuse. Just as Tillman used Perry’s Financial problems as the “public” excuse for trading him. Ottawa could have been solved if the league wanted to solve it. But it is doubtful the league wanted it to carry on for another 3 or 4 years before it got straighten out. Tom only had the ability to negotiate, he as with any other commissioner would have had to take the solution back to BOG for approval.

Rocker Ismail, was the start of the downfall of the Toronto Franchise, by the time he left the team was bankrupt and already been sold.

The Franchise player didn’t work then and won’t work now. It drove teams like Montreal, Toronto, Calgary and BC into the poor house. Each of these team have been sold how many times since the late 80s and early 90s. Let the existing cap work.

Lets see if under the existing structure Hamilton and Edmonton can turn their teams around.

Yeh, you're probably right on that Mike after I think about it. I agree.

And you can see the maniquin! :roll: :roll:

Some of you act like he's the Prime Minister or something. :expressionless: :lol:

At least the Prime Minister shows up for the occasional sound bite.....

Have you forgotten about the sticky topic already? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nope…I printed it and Its framed hanging over my computer, with the caption:

“Invisible Man’s first public appearance since being hired.”

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Which is of course completely inaccurate, but never mind that.

You remember that old expression, the watched pot never boils? Well, the watched commissioner never speaks. :lol:

Okay, I exagerated a bit…I fixed it! :lol:

And wasn't Mark being trumpeted as that younger face with connection in the marketing and advertising industry?