Harris opens up on '21 season, departure from Bombers

Through his 11-year CFL career, Andrew Harris has seen his share of ups and downs. The 34-year-old star running back has never had a week like this one.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/02/11/harris-opens-21-season-departure-bombers/

It's hard to blame players for moving from team to team during free agency. At the end of the day you don't seem to get a lot of loyalty from your franchise. There's a lot of lip service about it, but the business end of things trumps(I hate that word) loyalty every time.

4 Likes

point 1: I probably hate that word even more than you.

point 2: In a league with bigger rosters and a BIGGER salary cap this move probably wouldn't have happened. Economics shows no favor.

Good Luck Andrew, No one can dispute your contributions to the Blue Bombers.

5 Likes

I like the move the Bombers still have a good running tandem and now TO got an upgrade. It's a win win for everyone. Can't wait for the season to start.

3 Likes

As you know I am a Rider fan, wish he woulda come to the green but to all accounts he did not want to hurt the team he loved ... Most likely that is why he went to the Double Blue... The teams only play each other once and not in the Bombers home. Wonder if he took one more season to close out his pro life with a few records and thought to playoffs??? I respect his talent and wish him well

1 Like

I think the 10K milestone was a big factor. He should easily hit that as he only needs ~340 yards.

3 Likes

The whole "want factor" screams ego not professional. Im guessing a no nonsense guy like O Shea got tired of Harris before team.

Harris has never been a me-first guy.

3 Likes

I don't begrudge any player/coach who after an illustrious career would want (if close) to achieve a milestone.

I've heard it many times from the media & fans, after a retirement of a star caliber, it's too bad he (add name here) didn't win a Grey Cup/Stanley Cup, MVP....Etc

And as P Dog puts that's not how Harris is.

2 Likes

Andrew Harris carried this team on his back and single-handedly won games when both Matt Nichols and Zach Collaros couldn't execute. That's not a slight to the QB's, but let's be honest here. Even when #33 was not having his best of days, he still gave us an opportunity to score points and win. Or at the very least, put us in a better position to punt. I can't say that about either Nichols or Collaros. When they both couldn't move the ball through the air, #33 was always there to carry the brick down the field...with the help of those 5 Clydesdale's upfront clearing the way. I guess we'll see what Buck Pierce has in store this year with all the changes. Can't wait until the season starts!

2 Likes

Harris did a lot and we won’t forget, but I wouldn’t give him quite as much credit as you do. In fact tons of credit goes to the Clydesdales, as you put it. Also their defence. I think what Harris did better than anyone else in the league, when he was on, was run over or carry tacklers on his back. He was a great weapon as the game went on as he pounded tiring defensive tacklers. But he’ll be 35 and father time says he won’t be improving. I also don’t think there will be any major changes that need to be made, other than increasing Augustine’s role, as they already played half a year without him and gave his understudies some valuable experience.

1 Like

I doubly hate that word... I can't type it. My teeth will gnash. Maybe you hate it more but I'm gonna call dibs for now.

While I don't like what angry Andrew Harris is saying about us, I'll always appreciate and marvel at his amazing career here in Winnipeg (it started with the Rifles) "and beyond!"

Good luck you incredible hot head. When all the nasty feelings clear and you're done with football you'll always have us greatful Winterpeggers to fall back on. :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

As I said earlier, when one starts to dominate, the other teams build defenses to get past them in the playoffs... We will see who, if anyone succeeded in doing so... We cannot tell right now nor will we know until the PLAYOFFS are done with. How ever. two fans here will soon begin posting yet again how a certain western team has always been and will always be the ONLY team in cfl history who has ever dominated year after year with proof of why all other teams always. Thankfully those same two fans always heads to parts unknown when their team pancakes.

2 Likes

What happens when their team 'waffles'?

1 Like

I think they cry

I don't think pancakes and waffles deserve to be associated with the individuals in question.

2 Likes

As someone newer to the CFL world than you, I have nothing to add. You said it.

1 Like

Unless... those same pancakes and waffles come WITHOUT syrup (Auuugh!).

For me it's either lingonberry (partidgeberry) or cloudberry (baked apple berry) jam and REAL butter. If they're for dessert instead of breakfast add whipped cream, don't forget the STRONG black coffee.

1 Like

That sounds great. Every couple of months I'll dig in to a stack of pancakes, bacon... whatever else everyone's having. Mind you I'd eat like that every day if I was still a teenager. My hunger knew no boundaries.