Happy 83rd Birthday, George Reed

Riders' great George Reed is 83 today

7 Likes

Remember when he played the second half of a Grey Cup game with a taped up broken leg. They must have had a lot of pain killer as a shot of him on the sidelines
showed his eyeballs bulging. Live in S’toon from 66 to 71 and he was everyones favourite and a beast on the field. He and
Norm Kwon were some of the greatest inside rummers in CFL history. Didn’t see their likes until Mike Pringle and later Andrew Harris and there have been only a few in the interval. Wm Stanback falls into
that category. Hope he recovers

4 Likes

Too young to have ever seen him play. But he is a legend and does so much community work in Saskatchewan even now. Class act.

5 Likes

What a great player. Between him and Lovell Colman with Calgary it seemed the Lions never stood a chance in those days.

1 Like

i grew up with Normie and George’s kids in calgary. all great athletes like their dads.

1 Like

He made it easy for Ronnie Lancaster to become a legend....

Happy Birthday George!

1 Like

Wow! In another 13 years George Reed will be as old as the Queen who’d been diagnosed with ‘Old Age’ just a decade ago. I wonder if they’ll ever find a cure for that?

Happy Birthday George! :partying_face:

Happy birthday George , a rider always,.

Happy Birthday, hope your medical and mobility problems are not too bad.

Happy Birthday George from your old team mate about the same age Kindest regards Wayne Shaw Riders 1961-72

5 Likes

The so called glory days

at least one year of glory days when we won a Grey Cup in 1966 wasn't so much glory in 1967. 1969 and 1972 when we played in Grey Cups and for some reason I do not remember we did not win. My old memory just clicked in in those days we and Western Teams had to play a 2 Game total point semi final and then a best of 3 final to win the west total of 5 games in about 2 weeks where as the spoiled brats in the East played a 1 game semis final and then a 2 game total point final or a total of 3 games in 2 weeks Hard to believe it was so stupid crazy and unfair in those days for the East over the West but I am pretty sure that's true. This unfair stupidity probably or maybe had something to do with the Western teams needing more games for more money or something like that, If any fans on here have a memory of this and those times i would LOVE to hear from You as after my 12 0r 15 concussions over 14 years I don;t pretend that my 83 yr old memory is still perfect or close to it as it was in my youth.

2 Likes

Rider Glory Days: 1966-1976

Saskatchewan registered the most victories in North American Professional football

​​​​​​​Regular Season
Saskatchewan Roughriders 117
Oakland Raiders 116
Dallas Cowboys 112

Including Playoff Games
Saskatchewan Roughriders 133
Oakland Raiders 126
Dallas Cowboys 122

CFL Winningest Teams 1966-1976

Most Regular Season Wins
Saskatchewan Roughriders 117
Ottawa Rough Riders 96
Edmonton Eskimos 93
Hamilton Tiger Cats 86

Most Wins Including Playoff Games
Saskatchewan Roughriders 133
Ottawa Rough Riders 110
Edmonton Eskimos 98
Hamilton Tiger Cats 94

1966-76 Saskatchewan Roughriders

Regular Season: 117-55-4 (68% win percentage)

Post Season: 16-14

Overall: 133-69-4 (66% win percentage)

1 Grey Cup win

4 Grey Cup appearances in 7 years (66, 67, 69, 72)

5 Western Conference Titles (66, 67, 69, 72, 76)

5 West Division Titles: (66, 68, 69, 70, 76)

11 Consecutive years playing in the Conference/Division Finals - still a CFL record (tied with the 1950-60 Edmonton Eskimos)

“When you beat the Saskatchewan Roughriders, you beat the best team in Canada” - Hall of Fame Linebacker Wayne Harris (1993)

3 Likes

Happy Birthday to my TEam mate for about 10 years 1962-72 George Reed and in my experience as player and fan George was the greeatest running back in CFl HIstory

4 Likes

Hope you all the best Mr Reed :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Happy Birthday to 1 of my favorite and Best Teammates for 10 years George Reed I forgot that we are very close to same age ANYWAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE AND I HOPE YOU AND I HAVE MANY MORE OF THEM Wayne Shaw ps George if you are ever in Saskatoon please contact me I am giving away lots of books and would LOve to give you lots for your Birthday Xmas Etc. I just have too many 1000s from my bookstores i used to run

1 Like

George Please call me 306-244-2751 Regards Wayne Shaw

I've often wondered if George Reed and Lovell Colman were friends. Both of these great running backs (Lions killers I always called them) must have had a lot of respect for each other. I sure would hope so and certainly would like to know. Any books, bio's etc. that anyone knows of I could check out?

I’m not aware of any books on Lovell Coleman. Sadly, he passed away in 2016. He has Hall of Fame credentials but has been by-passed for some reason.

George Reed put out an autobiography in 2011 and I highly recommend it:

George Reed: His Life and Times. Regina: Centax Books. No ISBN. Limited to 1,500 copies.

I do see one copy currently available at Bookfinder.com

Rip. George Reed.