Hank the Colour Commentator

I think Hank did a pretty good job as the CC for the Hamilton vs Edmonton game last night. Certainly better than Black or Suitor.

Thoughts?

I still have a man-crush on Hank. So he can do no wrong! I am pleased that he decided to stay on in Canada, become a citizen and remain involved with the CFL.

That aside, I think he did a good job. What better qualification can a commentator have than to have been a veteran player?

Well a good voice and delivers comments well, works too!!
Very average the best!!

I thought he did pretty well. Maybe a little over the top in his enthusiasm, as he always is, but did a good job of explaining what the teams were doing, and what the QB was looking for and seeing without getting too technical (see Paul LaPolice). There’s no doubting that he understands the game, and is quite articulate. Most importantly, he managed to avoid bringing the conversation around to himself.

Burris has no voice left from all those years of screaming at the line of scrimmage. Him speaking nowadays in my opinion is not quite up to the standards of an in-game professional broadcaster. Instead, he kind of sounds like the players speaking in the background during a live mic games. Maybe they can give Burris a special microphone that can process and amplify his voice.

Burris should also realize that he is not on radio and does not need to speak non-stop. If anybody bothered counting, my guess is that Burris easily beat Chris Cuthbert in words spoken. He would be better off as a color commentator if he were more concise and focus on the just the point he wants to emphasize to the tv audience.

he is very good.

As a side note on the video quality of the broadcast last night, I switched for a minute to check out the baseball playoff game over on Rogers. I thought the quality of the picture was superior to the Ti-Cats/EE game. Does anyone know how they do that? Same TV for me but very clear baseball broadcast.

Today I see highlights of the Cats EE game on Rogers Sportsnet. When did that start?

I’m almost disappointed that he did so well. But I agree with Okie that his voice sounds raspy, as though he’s just competed in a shouting match.

I’d prefer him, though, to Duane Forde. I don’t understand how a guy who had a pretty long career as a CFL player can know so little about the rules of the game. Oh, he can tell you what college and what high school every player on the field attended, but he has no idea how many yards teams get for objectionable conduct.

I agree. Certainly better than their other colour commentators.

I have to say that I didn’t mind Burris at all as a colour commentator. I think he was pressed into duty in the same role at least once last year. I didn’t mind his enthusiasm - keeps the fans a bit more engaged maybe. Guess it depends on how much commentary you want to hear. Dunnigan does a decent job too.

I agree with Leonardwam .

Hank did really well calling that wedding and is more than up to snuff on colour .

I think this is the case with a lot of my fellow Ticat fans. Many don’t like him because of his ongoing feud with Simoni Lawrance.

Hank did a good job, didn’t ramble as much as Matty does.
Keep him as the overflow cc, replacing Matt who is great on the panel.
And for heaven sake bring back Schultzie…he is the missing piece.

He was ok.

Forde is still the best cc.

Suitor has gone downhill bigtime. Dunigan seems to be on acid.

To me the lead team should be Cuthbert and Forde.

Anybody but Walby…

Can’t disagree with this.
Mark Lee and Walby makes me appreciate TSN.

Wow Rogers Sportsnet showing CFL Highlights. The Ticats are big news in Southern Ontario.
Jumping on the bandwagon.
Once the Big O gets the new retractable roof in about 2024. It will be only one of 3 in Canada.
Rogers put in a bid to host Fifa mens WC in 2026 at Rogers Center.
But were snubbed by Fifa. Granting BMO the Toronto field host bid.
Maybe Rogers will be a little more open to hosting other sports events of major interest at RC again other than just the Jays.
Like a GC or other…

I was at the game but did PVR and did watch a bit of the game yesterday. I thought he was good. My only criticism was that too often the second a play ended - even big gains and touchdowns - he would immediately start breaking down the play in a fair bit of detail.

So while the video image at home would be seeing the usual shots after a big play of the players celebrating, the THF crowd rocking it, the Esks’ coaches and players looking frustrated - Hank was already breaking down the play in great detail.

He’ll learn that the best broadcasters know there are times to just shut-up for 30 seconds and let the sound and the pictures tell the story.

Here an example where he’s talking about the protection and a ‘reverse scissors play’ the second the Cats scored when that should have waited for a replay to explain those things.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/news-videos/evans-ticats-defence-steamroll-over-eskimos/vi-AAIj6GE

I do believe that was his regular-season debut.

Like anyone, so long as it is not a train wreck, give him time.

Like many, I thought he did well though for sure he was too wordy.

Let the game and spectacle itself breath too.

Pleasantly surprised by his debut at CC. Not perfect but his first time out, very impressive.

Burris has no voice left from all those years of screaming at the line of scrimmage. Him speaking nowadays in my opinion is not quite up to the standards of an in-game professional broadcaster. Instead, he kind of sounds like the players speaking in the background during a live mic games. Maybe they can give Burris a special microphone that can process and amplify his voice.

Burris should also realize that he is not on radio and does not need to speak non-stop. If anybody bothered counting, my guess is that Burris easily beat Chris Cuthbert in words spoken. He would be better off as a color commentator if he were more concise and focus on the just the point he wants to emphasize to the tv audience.

WELL SAID. very very average, next Kevin Glen, maybe not to our relief. Former players without a voice need not apply!! Cheers
Just check out NFL announcers. Very smooth, well trained. They don’t scream at you like CFL panel who want at job and attention.
Actually pushing fans away from our game!!