Hanging Up The Cleats: Michael Reilly announces retirement

VANCOUVER —  After an illustrious CFL career, Michael Reilly is hanging up his cleats.

The BC Lions announced the news on Monday afternoon.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.cfl.ca/2022/01/24/hanging-cleats-michael-reilly-announces-retirement/
1 Like

Can we expect to see Trevor Harris in Vancouver pretty quick? Would Jones be picking up the phone to convince him to come back for a year? Reilly missed the playoffs the past 3 years & got beat up doing it. The Lions have already brought back a couple of the OL that's been there all along & I don't see much in the way of changes there.

1 Like

we'll see if they let Masoli in the province without a Vax.

Maybe he'll get it and become BC's starting QB

1 Like

Huge loss for the Leos and our league.
He’ll make a fine QB coach somewhere.

6 Likes

I am so totally bummed. This on top of the Bills loss is just too much. sobb

Oh dear.:fearful:

Tthere's a young guy in the wings. I hear he's pretty good.

Well his stock has definitely gone up.
I’m sure he’ll change his vax stance.

Mike Reilly last year was bending over backwards to be accommodating toward reporters. It was as though he is demonstrating to other players how he wanted to be treated when Reilly was on the other side of the microphone.

With Jim Barker leaving the TSN Panel last week for the Argos, this would be a perfect opportunity for him to transition from player to tv personality. I would think Reilly would get at least audition to be Barker's replacement. Maybe Reilly to TSN is already a done deal.

1 Like

Kinda sad news for BC Lion Fans but they do have an up & Coming prospect in Nathan Rourke ! Best of luck to Michael Reilly as he will be sadly missed by all fans & veteran Players over the league. I always thought that Reilly was a great CFL personality on & off the field of play.

1 Like

Sad to see the league lose a quality QB, but continuing to play may have had carried long term health risks so I am not shocked. Now he can spend more time with his best buddy Matt Nichols. Or maybe he just bought Nichols another year in the league?

1 Like

A great QB and a class guy. Tough as nails who can run. Really enjoyed his play. He will be missed, but I agree with SaskWatch. He'd make a good QB coach, somewhere, if he's interested.

2 Likes

Maybe. Hard to imagine Masoli getting a contract if he continues to be irrationally afraid of getting vaxxed. If I were a GM I don’t see how I could justify signing Masoli for starter’s money if it is unknown whether he would even be able to play, and probably not be able to play in away playoff games or the GC. Still too many unknowns in signing him at present, in my opinion. Maybe we’ll see the first contract in history with a vaccination clause?

3 Likes

Not sure Reilly's excitable enough for the TSN crew, but maybe he'll do till Simoni Lawrence can join them😁

2 Likes

Personally, Michael Reilly was my favourite QB that didn't play on the Cats. I loved his hard work ethic and the way he approached the game. I hope that he continues in the CFL, whether in media, or better yet, in a training/development role.

Enjoy retirement good Sir.

3 Likes

I always felt Michael Reilly was a very solid man on and off the field. He represents a role model for young boys on how to be a future professional football player. He was tough as nails physically and was worth every cent he made. Edmonton loss was BC gain despite not a winner in BC. I hope he is a coach with Huff/Stamps in the future.

2 Likes

A class act throughout his career. I used to cringe seeing him get crushed repeatedly when he was the best player on a weak EE team. For several years. Great player, great drive to compete and great entertainer of all football fans.

2 Likes

I can hardly wait until Masoli has to travel by car from Vancouver to Montreal and back in his MasoliMobile with his trusted sidekick Alexa. :grin:

1 Like

This is not a reply to who fills the void at QB in BC but a thank you to Michael Reilly for his years of entertaining us and putting the fear in all us opposing fans, when his team had the ball, and the man would give it his all to win. We fans should have nothing but admiration for Michael the player and the human being, he was a gutsy player and a class act person.

2 Likes

Reilly was a tough cookie all right. He and Nichols got kicked around like rag dolls in Edmonton, taking hits that no GM in his right mind would put up with for long. I was hoping that Reilly's bod would catch a break in BC but no dice. Everywhere he went the offensive lines were truly offensive. Only the pain killers kept him going last season. I'm glad he won't have to put up with those any longer.